Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby bragnouff » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:09 pm

I do have the 4 Peak4, and it's super fun to ride, but typically if I turn up at the spot and it's blowing 18kts, then I'm more likely to go for the surfboard, specially if I had a few days of foiling before. Just to mix it up. Or wing if the swell isn't too big or too messy to prevent you to get out (typically the limiting factor here).

I agree with that rule of an extra sqm needed for wingfoiling compared to PeakFoiling.

5-7-9 LEI, 4 5 8 Peak, 3 4 5 6 Wings, hence my reluctance to add a 6m Peak to the lot... That's already way beyond obscene!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:23 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:09 pm
I do have the 4 Peak4, and it's super fun to ride, but typically if I turn up at the spot and it's blowing 18kts, then I'm more likely to go for the surfboard, specially if I had a few days of foiling before. Just to mix it up. Or wing if the swell isn't too big or too messy to prevent you to get out (typically the limiting factor here).

I agree with that rule of an extra sqm needed for wingfoiling compared to PeakFoiling.

5-7-9 LEI, 4 5 8 Peak, 3 4 5 6 Wings, hence my reluctance to add a 6m Peak to the lot... That's already way beyond obscene!

In the "old days" before kitefoil I also had big wavekites, 8 and 9 m2, so you could "surf" when wind was 17-18 knots only.

I still have kept the 8 and 9 m2, but they are never really used as 5-6-7 m2 are the sizes where surfboards works for me (close to 80 kg) from 20 knots and up.

And if not sufficient wind for a 7 m2 on a wave/surfboard, it is 20 knots or less, where wingfoil is magic.
Down to 13-14 knots, where wingfoil stops being fun or possible - you risk standing parked like in the old windsurf days, just even worse with a wing....
So here the Peaks come alive, a 5 m2 Peak is sweetspot for me in 12-14 knots, and then 6 m2 if 9-12 knots, and finally the 8 m2 when 8-9 knots, and bigger dualskin kite if below 8 knots.

But as you, sometimes the conditions or desire makes me go out with a 3 or 4 m2 Peak, instead of wingfoil.

I like you have defined a new name for the sport: PeakFoiling :thumb:

8) Peter

giando
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 65
Local Beach: Latina
Favorite Beaches: Sumbawa
Paracuru
Diani
Style: Foiling
Gear: Flysurfer Peak5
Gong Fluid

Postby giando » Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 am

ieism wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am
Maybe I'm too dumb, or there is an alternative manual out that tha mentions this but i can't figure out what I'm doing wrong shortening the lines. I basically have to take the steering lines over the leader and take a part out nearest the bar. Then the b-safe is sort of more form the top as well as the black front lines that have to be taken of completly at the top.

This is on a connect bar from Flysurfer. I mean, it's done now but it's not an easy or fast swap. I just don't get why they dont take everything of the top of the lines near the kite then, that would safe you a lot of work and could mean you can swap in longer lines much faster. Am I missing something very obvious here?
you're talking about the Connect v1 bar, right? Shortening the lines is done this way to keep the Y split distance constant relative to the kite.
These users thanked the author giando for the post (total 2):
drsurf (Sun May 01, 2022 12:12 pm) • ieism (Mon May 02, 2022 9:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Mon May 02, 2022 9:40 pm

giando wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:13 am
ieism wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:23 am
Maybe I'm too dumb, or there is an alternative manual out that tha mentions this but i can't figure out what I'm doing wrong shortening the lines. I basically have to take the steering lines over the leader and take a part out nearest the bar. Then the b-safe is sort of more form the top as well as the black front lines that have to be taken of completly at the top.

This is on a connect bar from Flysurfer. I mean, it's done now but it's not an easy or fast swap. I just don't get why they dont take everything of the top of the lines near the kite then, that would safe you a lot of work and could mean you can swap in longer lines much faster. Am I missing something very obvious here?
you're talking about the Connect v1 bar, right? Shortening the lines is done this way to keep the Y split distance constant relative to the kite.
Yes, that sort of makes sense. If the V² bar does this in a more logical way that may be a reason to get another bar. I saw one on sale the other day...

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am

Was just about to buy a Peak 5 then saw in a post that Flysurfer are bringing out a 'hybrid' specifically for foiling ( same concept as Gin Marabou) anyone any further info? If its not going to be in 2022 will get a Peak 5 but if its only a few months away may wait...

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Tue May 03, 2022 12:05 pm

mar menor wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am
Was just about to buy a Peak 5 then saw in a post that Flysurfer are bringing out a 'hybrid' specifically for foiling ( same concept as Gin Marabou) anyone any further info? If its not going to be in 2022 will get a Peak 5 but if its only a few months away may wait...
Link?

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue May 03, 2022 2:29 pm

Before the seabreeze completely finished for winter it had one last puff today, enough to try my new 4m Peak5. After a few trips to the beach where the wind did not blow as forecast, today it was gusting up to 11 knots on the beach with my wind meter, good enough for the 4m :D

I've previously used the 4m Peak4 and it was a fantastic kite, it was perfect for 10 to 16 knot seabreezes which are common in summer. So I wanted to see how the Peak5 version performed. Hotlaunching the kite on the beach it felt like there was plenty of power to get my 65kg up on my 990 sq cm foil. When I got to deep enough water a couple of figure eights across the window and I was up on the foil.

There were no other kiters about but there were two wingdingers on 4m and 5m wings from Sydney further out on the bay who were only intermittently foiling. I was able to easily foil upwind and ride some small wind chop downwind riding left and right as the chop appeared and subsided. The kite was as easy to fly as the previous model and only a few small differences. It felt a bit tighter and more responsive and there was virtually no flapping when fully depowered foiling on wave power. It pointed a little higher upwind and drifted possibly slightly better than the Peak4.

The wind did pick up a little and the wingdingers were able to get themselves foiling most of the time. Spent a little time foiling with them. I felt a bit sorry for them as it was harder work for them to stay foiling and I was able to easily outpace them and point higher.

Very happy with these new Peak5 kites. Virtually all kites nowadays are only incremental improvements on what has preceded them apart from material advances like Aluula. The Peak5 kites are made from a tougher fabric than the Peak4 kites and they are slightly lighter and definitely have improved on what was already a fantastic kite for foiling. Still the Peak4 kites I've sold which are over 2 years old are still going strong and in excellent condition. A kite designed for snowkiting up a mountain isn't going to be stressed pulling someone on a hydrofoil :)

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Tue May 03, 2022 3:14 pm

Sceotend wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:05 pm
mar menor wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:05 am
Link?
There are multi mentions here in this thread ,type 'hybrid' in the search box and you can see them
These users thanked the author mar menor for the post:
Sceotend (Tue May 03, 2022 4:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue May 03, 2022 8:30 pm

A hybrid with better relaunch would be ideal for those locations where a swim in is less than ideal, eg rocky coastline. It doesn’t happen often but at our local a swim in can result in a badly scratched or damaged foil and cut up feet.
Some of us used Peaks in the past but only one foiler does now and and we keep a close eye on him, dragging him to safety if needed, he is a very experienced foiler and almost always gets a relaunch, well almost.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 03, 2022 10:14 pm

airsail wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 8:30 pm
(...) he is a very experienced foiler and almost always gets a relaunch, well almost.
From what you write, it seems that he's getting his kite wet quite a few times. What's the story?

When I'm using a Peak, the rule of the game is to not drop the kite, ever, and have a contingency plan in place if you do. If your spot doesn't allow for a swim in, or if you're unsure that you'll manage to keep the kite flying, then it's not the right tool for the job. Maybe a consequence of that is that I tend to ride quite conservatively, maybe not "pushing the envelope", and being reasonably aware of changes in the wind, and local weather patterns. These are limitations that I accept when I take a Peak on the water. If I'm gearing up for a big adventure along the coast, a mile upwind of steep cliffs, then I'd better choose something else, a 3 strut wave kite for instance. If I was practicing the around the world trick, then also, wrong choice of gear. But I'm pretty contempt with what they do for my riding at local spots, essentially ease of use and allowing to point much deeper downwind into swell.
in almost 3 years, the 5 got wet once due to wind completely switching off, pack and swim. The 8 got wet once after being too casual at launch, I thought the lines would have cleared the seaweed on the shore, but one side didn't. And one close call when a shag flew into my lines and hooked a steering line.

Return to “Foil Kites”