flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 5 is here

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:02 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:04 pm
On low end riding, I always loop the kite to start, but it takes a bit of touch to figure out how hard you can sheet in on the kite without choking it off.
Igree with that, you must loop several times until you feel where is the máx pull.
You can have and idea here:

At that point a moderate volume board (small wingboard) makes my foiling easier, so at the first stroke I am up on the board... So it wont sinks.... Waiting for a gust
And then I loop the kite until the Foil lifts.
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post (total 5):
loco4viento (Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:19 pm) • daspi (Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:24 pm) • Trent hink (Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:19 am) • watercamper (Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:16 pm) • chalks (Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:31 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:25 pm

Wow, thanks for that video. Sketchy session. Amazing relaunch skills. I will work on my looping water start technic.
These users thanked the author daspi for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

daspi
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lynn - Nahant Long Beach, Revere Beach, Dog Beach
Favorite Beaches: The beach I can get to within 10-15 minutes
Gear: Neo 9/7m, Eleveight FS 12m, 9m and Core XR5 7m, Core Section 8,10,12m
and lots of other junk kites in the shed
Cabrinha Custom, Duotone Jamie Textreme
Surfboards: F-ONE Mitu 5'6", Tomo Vader, Kiteloose Nirvana, Cabrinha Skillit
Foil: F-ONE Pocket with Cloud 9 mast and wing

Postby daspi » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:19 pm

Looping for water start is the solution! Worked like a charm yesterday. Not by all means an epic session, but it forced me to practice the loop water start. I was out between 4-5:30pm and wind was 8-13mph. See the attached wind chart.
wind.png
wind.png (60.39 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
These users thanked the author daspi for the post:
bitxopalo (Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:45 pm)

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:35 am

I'm so impressed with my 6m Peak 5 for foiling!

Crashed it several times trying to learn tacks. Several times in higher winds on 12m lines, it kind of "bounced" off the water and relaunched. I'm planning on adding a 2.5 and 4 to my quiver next. :thumb:

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:30 pm

drsurf wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:44 pm
The Connect 2 bar isn't much different to the previous Connect bar. Some small improvements but the previous bar is fine.

However if you are buying a previous model bar don't go too far back in time. The very first version of the Connect bar was never designed with foiling use in mind and didn't have enough volume in the floats to stop it sinking :o
Later versions of the original Connect bar were modified with enough volume to float :)
I'm updating this as I now have both bars. The connect 2 bar has a different material safety line, nicer and blue. It also has a little ring splitter near the Y so that using it as a front line safety only pulls one front line. This is a nice setup if you're flying it without the B-safe line.
It's also easier to remove extension lines now. Mine came with 3m extension lines but I think that's not standard. The top had extra pigtails that are kind of thick and bulky so I'll probably remove those.
The b-safe line from the Y to the kite is also blue and stiffer now and has a ring connection like the other lines.
Overall a better design, and I will update my old bars to the same kind of system.

Regarding the Peak5 Vs Peak4, still not finding a huge difference to be honest. Although it does turn a tiny bit faster and relaunch from water seems easier. The bar feeling when overpowered feels a little bit nicer, but functionally I kind of think it's the same wind range.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:29 pm) • bitxopalo (Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:02 am

Good discussion here viewtopic.php?p=1170929#p1170929
Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am
On the suggestion of JTS I made some shorter line lengths to use with my Peaks: 14m & 17m, to go with my standard 20m lines. What you lose is some of the ability to move the kite to easily generate extra apparent wind ie. extra power when you want it. What you gain is a more reactive kite and more feel in the bar. A shorter sweep through the power zone also allows you to turn without generating unwanted extra apparent wind.

In my experience, shorter lines are great when you are nicely powered & wave riding, not so great if you are riding a little underpowered & in flat water. The kite feels more "lively" in the first situation, a bit "dead" in the latter situation. The relationship between kite size, line length & how powered you are, is a fluid one. The optimal set up may vary depending what the wind does during a session.

With my 6m kite I always use 20m lines. With my 5m I may choose 20m if it is on the light side - 12 - 15 knots, 17m if is 14 - 17 knots. Anything consistently over 15 knots I'll use the 4m with 17m lines. I consider using the 14m lines with the 4m only when the wind is strong, steady and I'm riding in real waves.

I don't feel short lines are a really effective way of extending the range - it does help with control somewhat, but I'd rather be on a smaller kite. It's true that it's possible to ride a foil pretty overpowered - you just point high &/or keep the kite high & sheeted out. Short lines help in that situation - it's not much fun however.
ieism wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:16 am
I shortened a lineset thinking I would use it with the smaller peaks, but ended up using it on the 11m only. It gives me better upwind (the 11 is not so good upwind). And it also makes a dull feeling kite a bit more like the smaller sizes. I don't feel it made the low end much less because this kite is so slow that sending it trough the powerzone takes an eternity anyway and by that time I'm up and riding.
I hate the 5 and 4m on short lines, too much work for me.
jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:36 am
Well, opinions vary I guess.

I ride Peaks. Use the 6 on stock 21m lines, drop to 17m on the 5m, 14m on the 4m and 11m on the 3m.

As a result my ranges are quite different and I rig down later than most Peak riders.

Like anything (especially with small peaks) it takes getting used to. Many have initially complained about how sensitive small peeks are to sheeting and when used to a longer effective sheeting range the small peaks can feel awful until you spend enough time with them to adapt. Short lines is no different. The gains are less flutter, quicker kite positioning, less space required to launch or land, less power spike while unhooked and more consistent relaunch and swimming reset/launch. The downside is loss of low end power generation by working the kite.

As a result my personal preference is to be well into a smaller kites range when I rig down. I don’t particularly like being underpowered and use the kite to soften landings. When it comes to actively flying the kite through cutbacks and bottom turns I have a hard time waiting for kites in longer lines. The bigger the conditions the more so that is the case hence the ever shorter lines on smaller kites. As to drift, I find no real difference. In big winds Peaks drift! I respect that everyone has a different style and that line length is a fairly impactful variable in how you express yourself in your riding.

In general I think my ranges on the Peaks are shifted up 2-3 knots for each size respectively and I am under 75kg.
Could be way off on some of these, but a guesstimate could look something like this
:think:
PeakKiteLinesWinds.png
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post:
bitxopalo (Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:49 pm)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:50 pm

With 65 KG move everything one column left :thumb:
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 pm)

DaveP
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 160lbs/73kg
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, FS Peak5 8m

Postby DaveP » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 am

My first Peak just arrived today (Peak5 8m) for hydrofoiling.

What is the preferred landing method with a single skin? Backstall? Fly to edge of wind window and land on leading edge? Wingtip landing?

Thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:04 am

DaveP wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:24 am
My first Peak just arrived today (Peak5 8m) for hydrofoiling.

What is the preferred landing method with a single skin? Backstall? Fly to edge of wind window and land on leading edge? Wingtip landing?

Thanks!

Backstall, or at the end of the day, just fly it sideways into the ground.

The 8 works in 8-10 knots so not windy anyways, but same methods works for the smallest ones too.

Some say they can be stake landed on their side, have never done that and doubt it would work with an 8 m2, but probably with the small ones :-?
Just no need to use this method IMO, but if wind picks up a lot, it could work as the safest option maybe.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
DaveP (Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:00 pm)

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:42 am

When crash landing the kite, I found that it doesn't take much for a bit of fabric to catch some wind and initiate a tumble or a twist. That's on a hard sand beach where you can mountainboard on. In long grass, or soft sand with bumps, there might be enough drag resistance to keep the fabric on the ground.
Of course If you're lucky to have the wind shelter of a small bush or someone's parked 15m kite nearby, then landing in that spot is the easiest way...

I found the best way for me to avoid tumbles on the ground, on an open, exposed flat beach with low resistance, is to put the kite on edge of window, disconnect all, and go towards the kite, in an upwind arc trajectory, while walking up BOTH lower lines. (if landing on the left, hold left steering and left flying lines).

That tends to work better than one line at keeping things clean in the bridles on the way to the wingtip.
There's only power in the kite when all lines are tensioned, so no risk in having the lines ripping through your hands.
Wouldn't work as well with high Y bar setups.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
DaveP (Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:04 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”