lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)
Has thanked: 0

Pansh Aurora II Magnetic Containment Failure

Postby lightandfrost » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:59 am

Light and Frost have been working on four Pansh Aurora II kites in the 8 meter and 12 meter range, restoring the basic ability to fly. This condition existed upon receipt of the kite from the factory. A paper on the mods required is being written however L&F have come across one(1) problem that can be easily addressed by Pansh owners.

The kites mentioned above appear to be experiencing Magnetic Containment Failure. Near the center of these kites along the trailing edge seam there are two(2) long strips where the seam is held together by small magnets embedded in the cloth(i.e. not thread). On all these kites the magnets appear to be rusting. On some kites there is no magnetic force remaining and pressure is being constantly released as the seams are wide open during flight. In other kites the magnetic force is very weak. A person flying this kite could not see these seams opening or permanently opened. This can be seen when standing under and slightly behind the kite which is flying overhead. Furthermore we suspect that even in cases where these seams have functioning magnets, the vents are opening prematurely letting pressure out causing some of the strange flight characteristics experienced.

L&F have closed these seams and are currently continuing flight tests. There are other problems with these kites. The 8 meter kites have been restored to flight functionality and tests on the 12 meters continues. When completed a complete mod package will be published.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Aurora II Magnetic Containment Failure

Postby leeuwen » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:43 am

FYI: What I have read is that people tend to replace the magnets with a Velcro setup.

lightandfrost
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: N/A
Local Beach: N/A
Favorite Beaches: N/A
Style: onshore waveriding
Gear: N/A
Brand Affiliation: SOKG (Self Organizing Kite Group)
Has thanked: 0

Postby lightandfrost » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:00 am

Light and Frost ran further air tests today on a Pansh 8 meter Aurora II kite. This kite has been modded and flyable but it was still getting occasional tip and kite folds.The magnets in these trailing edge areas were weak. Wind conditions were exactly the same as yesterday. However with these two vents sealed the kite flew perfectly and showed none of the previous aerodynamic excursions. It is obvious that when internal pressure in the kite increases the magnets are releasing air pressure prematurely.
Suggest Pansh users having these problems simply tape the vents closed and run tests.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:06 pm

i like zippers better than velcro. tks for the post. It's a small sewing job dont need a machine.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:19 pm

Good tip, I'll do some preventative maintenance...
Velcro worked good for Arc kite TE center vents.
I replaced a broken Speed2 kite center zip with sewn in velcro and it worked good.
My first version A15 kites also had TE magnetic strips too.
Wonder if sticky back velcro on clean fabric would be good enough?

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:24 am

PugetSoundKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:19 pm
Good tip, I'll do some preventative maintenance...
Velcro worked good for Arc kite TE center vents.
I replaced a broken Speed2 kite center zip with sewn in velcro and it worked good.
My first version A15 kites also had TE magnetic strips too.
Wonder if sticky back velcro on clean fabric would be good enough?
Will 1" Velcro , for my A-15 , will do the trick ? I'm OK at
sewing with my Janome sewing machine ; mostly because it's
computerized stitch selectable, and that makes it easier.

Bille

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:44 pm

Bille wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:24 am
Will 1" Velcro , for my A-15 , will do the trick ? I'm OK at
sewing with my Janome sewing machine ; mostly because it's
computerized stitch selectable, and that makes it easier.
Bille
Yea, I agree, sticky back will collect sand, get pulled off when separating the Velcro, and leave glue behind when it fails. Won’t be so lazy and I’ll see mine on too.
:thumb:

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:17 pm

If the magnets are an overpressure vent to protect the kite in a crash then replacing with a zipper will not serve that function. Better to remove the magnets and just sew the trailing edge shut.

This is an interesting project to try and tune the bridle and you will find a jillion posts spread over kiteforum kitecrowd facebook groups and others. No matter how much time you spend on this kite it will never give you the glory of a 2007 Flysurfer Psycho 3. If you bill your own time at $20 an hour the value just is not there after spending time tuning it.

Starting with an ancient Flysurfer for example you have the benefit of published line-plans so we are not just taking a stab in the dark trying to bring a kite to life.

Anybody looking for value would far better serve themselves with a discounted LEI kite or a Peak. For the lighest winds a recent foil kite from a reputable manufacturer and a published bridle plan will save hours of frustration in comparison.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:43 am

Won't argue that. Cost/Benefit is probably upside down considering labor hours to make our own surfboards, mutant board, twin tips, foil boards, mono-foils, fuselages, control bars, harness sliding spreader bars, line sets, kites, re-coating kites, re-tuning kites, bladder repairs, sewing repairs, removing struts from kites, etc... But some of us enjoy the DIYs as much as the new gear reviews.
FS1.jpg

"The most radical feature of the kite is what I call the blow off valves, works like a blow off valve on a turbo engine. They are self sealing strips on the underneath of the kite designed to open if you crash the kite hard on the leading edge in both water and land, its a brilliant design you can open one up and its like a vaccum blowing air in your face, that kept a few of us amused, everybody had to have a go."
https://www.extremekites.org/topic/5655 ... ed-ii-12m/
fs2.jpg

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:06 pm
i like zippers better than velcro. tks for the post. It's a small sewing job dont need a machine.
Thanks for the post L&F good thing to know. There is already a large zipper to deflate the kite the blowout valves are there to save you kite in the event of a crash I think that velcro is a better idea it will open under pressure. I have a really old A2 22m probably the first one they ever made I ordered it the day it came out. It still flies good and the magnetic strips are fine but they attract magnetite from the sand so you have to clean them once in a while.

Return to “Foil Kites”