For all foil kite riders
merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Peak 4.5 mod?

Postby merl » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:27 pm

With the exception of materials, the peak 5 is pretty close to the peak 4. The firefly v2 mod (viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2407199) showed that a small change in bridling by adding additional connections can have a big effect. For that mod, the additional connections are for row C. For the peak 5 they are on row B (see the lineplan picture below).

Given that single skin kites are very easy to sew and mod, it should be fairly easy to do a mod on the peak 4 to give it a bridle similar to the peak 5.

Anyone interested in this idea?

Summary of differences in bridling: without looking at the actual bridle lengths we can see the extra B attachment points and a C attachment that has moved towards the trailing edge. It also looks like a couple of A lines have been removed from the center.

My first question is whether one can get away with trying a mod just in the center section of the kite. This may have a strange effect on C, but it is hard to tell. I guess the next step is to study the line lengths to see how big the overall changes are.
Peak 4 vs 5.jpg

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Re: Peak 4.5 mod?

Postby kitexpert » Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:04 pm

If you move old C line row a bit forward and add new C line row you could do it quite easily. New line lengths should be calculated (or possibly taken from Peak5 lineplan) for those line rows. Challenge is to avoid too big errors in line lengths.

Another question is how much better kite would get from this modification. But as far as I can see that new bridle configuration is the new thing in Peak5. As a development step I'd describe it lame but it is different

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:23 pm

Definitely interesting idea. I was looking in way to restore my Peaks original performance, so this is even more interesting!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 pm

You would need to make new ribs to change the attachment point position on the chord. You might achieve a marginally similar effect of less movement in the center of the chord by using a 3:1 pulley on the C line and keeping 2:1 on the B line.

But the peak 4 is such a nice kite to enjoy and fly. It is almost as if there is no need.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:56 am

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:34 pm
You would need to make new ribs to change the attachment point position on the chord. You might achieve a marginally similar effect of less movement in the center of the chord by using a 3:1 pulley on the C line and keeping 2:1 on the B line.

But the peak 4 is such a nice kite to enjoy and fly. It is almost as if there is no need.
Of course there is those triangular keels which should be made for the new bridle. I thought it is just a plain fabric there, weird because I've made couple of those single skin kites and those parts are definitely needed to spread the bridle load.

So it is questionable if modification is worth it. Playing with the mixer is easy but hardly makes kite any better
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
jakemoore (Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:56 am

jbrodin
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up

Postby jbrodin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:54 pm

So far the back to back comparison remains to be presented. I welcome the opportunity to have new outlets for my need to burn cash as the next guy, but that does not mean that the new Peak is significantly better. I do like the new colors better though ;)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:43 am

Has anyone played with the numbers on the line plan?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm

jbrodin wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:54 pm
So far the back to back comparison remains to be presented. I welcome the opportunity to have new outlets for my need to burn cash as the next guy, but that does not mean that the new Peak is significantly better. I do like the new colors better though ;)
With the one ride(wind hasn't cooperated) I've had on my Peak5 6m, the biggest difference you'll see/feel with this new gem is the TX cloth. It reduces flapping, the amount of material needed for support, and helps keep the kites shape a little better with slack lines.

I don't have a Peak4 6m to try back to back but am hoping I run into someone who does to give mine a try.

I don't think the bridle change does much for performance and was more changed because this gen has less material due to the stronger fabric.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
jbrodin (Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:45 pm)

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:14 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm
jbrodin wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:54 pm
With the one ride(wind hasn't cooperated) I've had on my Peak5 6m, the biggest difference you'll see/feel with this new gem is the TX cloth. It reduces flapping, the amount of material needed for support, and helps keep the kites shape a little better with slack lines.

I don't have a Peak4 6m to try back to back but am hoping I run into someone who does to give mine a try.

I don't think the bridle change does much for performance and was more changed because this gen has less material due to the stronger fabric.
No, fabric is not that important at all. Peak5 has different bridle layout on that area which tends to flap when kite is depowered. It has more bridle line so it has more support there. This change is not small, it is quite different to Peak4 because also pulling ratios have changed. New design also decreases chordwise compression, so Peak5 looks cleaner.

Different cloth is the most lame way to develop kites, unless something really different can be used like Aluula fabric.

Peak5 has more fabric parts than before but they have tried to keep weight down by cutting holes etc.
Last edited by kitexpert on Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author kitexpert for the post:
jbrodin (Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:45 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”