Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Light wind technique question

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:25 pm

I was out on a relatively light day with my 12m Pulsion and foil.
It should have been perfect for the conditions, guessing around 8 or 9 knots.
I did not have enough power to start by diving the kite but looping the kite was too much, I was getting launched.
In hindsight I'm thinking maybe I should have been sheeted in more in this case to slow down the kite loop and generate a bit less power???
I'm sure this is technique and these conditions are why I got the kite but it was very frustrating.
Any tips?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Light wind technique question

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:34 pm

Strange because the difference between a loop and a "deep" diving is not such important in low wind... I think your loop is too wide. Or your diving too short.
Anyway, you can apply these two tips:
- shorten your loop a lot by pulling prelines during half of the loop then release when the kite is in the correct direction
- and / or pointing more downwind your board so that relative negative wind decrease the power of the pulsion

And you are right, sheeting in more : to get a shorter loop and a less rapid kite.

Just need a bit of practice but nothing hard work in 7-8 knots.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:41 pm) • bitxopalo (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:45 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:16 pm

As Regis says you can control the power by sheeting in more. In the extreme during a pivot loop half the kite is stalled and the other half is just flying around it. Also where the kite is in the window influences the power generated. Eg: if you drift the kite to the back of the window then pull hard with the backhand you can make the kite pivot all the way round with very little power, but if you pivot it just until it is pointing across the window then sheet out to fly it horizontally through the window it will develop max power (with the optimum level of sheeting).

If you are looping with the front hand similar criteria apply but obviously you are not going to be flying right across the window. Overall you can control the power generated with the shape of the loop, speed of the kite and position in the window.

PS the trim and bar throw has to be set properly to achieve the control required.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post (total 2):
Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:39 pm) • bitxopalo (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:45 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:51 pm

Hi Tony, a bit puzzled about your experience with foil kites?

As what you experience is perfectly normal for new foil kite riders, in lighter winds.

You dive the kite, it pulls perfectly, and when down low all power is gone, and you stand there parked :rollgrin:
Everyone without exception experience this on their first ride(s) with a foil kite, if new.

Two things to avoid this, okay maybe three as the first one is practice practice practice:
Learn to fly the kite a lot against the riding direction, before diving for a start, and avoid flying too low down.
Use longer lines, now you have a lot longer powerstroke, and everything is easier, alse in marginal wind when you loop, longer lines are way better.

If you get pulled "head over heels" when you loop, there is more than sufficient wind for a "normal" start, and no reason to loop the kite.
But IF you have to start this way, just remember to bear off with the wind, so the gigantic pull will just accelerate you in forward speed, and not sideways - apart from the fact, that it will pull less when you bear away - a win win if a lot of loop power.
When you bear away and gain speed, the trick is that when you head upwind with speed, no matter where the kite is, you will have line tension and easy to ride now - because of your speed.

Pulling in to stop the power in the loop is possible yes, but I can see absolutely no reason to do this, because you as said can either start normally if okay wind, and in marginal wind you want all the possible power you can get, looping.
And bearing away you can adjust the pull very easy, just head a bit up for more power or bear away for less - it will come naturally quite fast :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
Regis-de-giens (Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:38 pm) • Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:53 pm) • bitxopalo (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:45 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Whilst what I said in my post is true, I think the advice offered by Peter is far more pertinent to your actual situation. Put my advice on the back burner until you get underpowered on a small kite. It will be easier to get a feel for what I am describing in that scenario. As Peter says if you are being yarded by a loop you have enough power on tap for a normal water start.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:34 pm

To avoid getting launched when looping just let the board follow the kite downwind when the pull becomes large. The kite will generate power with speed so sometimes sheeting out produces a spike before depower.

Oversheeting the kite can help if you have the bar set up that way. But the trade off is that it can be hard to feel where to put the bar for max power

Sometimes diving the kite to start is the best. Some times looping. Sometimes flying the kite left and right across the window works best.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:53 pm) • bitxopalo (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:46 am)

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:27 pm

Usually heading downwind as mentioned should be work, however if you notice a lot of power during the loop you can also delay getting on the board:
If there is a lot of power I wait before getting up on the board/foil and “sit out” the biggest part of the powerspike from the downloop while being “parked” in the water.
Out of the loop steer the kite up at about an 45 degree angle towards 10 or 2
Wait until the kite is getting close to the edge of the wind window and only then get up on the foil.
This should:
A) easily yank you on your board since the angle of the lines is more upwards
B) since the kite it is already near the edge of the power window the duration of the power spike will be short
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Tony (Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:53 pm)

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the feedback.
I rarely ride this kite, this was the second time ever.
Always ride single struts or small foils (firefly) so my technique is not the best with this beast.
My bars are 22m or 24m lines and this day was on 22m lines. I have the ability to add 3m or 5m extensions but never mess with them.
On this day I was diving the kite from the top of the window so longer lines would have helped.
When looping I was pulling the front hand and getting a ton of power but probably not pointing downwind.
Downlooping and bringing the kite across the window would have been better along with pointing more downwind.
I need to spend more time on this kite.
Thanks
Tony
These users thanked the author Tony for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:37 pm

better to pull the rear hand as a starter IMO ; full loop by pulling the front hand pulls harder.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
Tony (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:01 am) • bitxopalo (Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:49 am)

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 80 kg
Appletree Jazz

Postby Tony » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:07 am

Yeah it's a lot more power for sure. The FF's in the low end need a double loop with front hand at times.
The single struts are in between.
I've questioned the need for the 12m. Hard to justify when it only gets used once a year (so far).

Return to “Foil Kites”