Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Peak4/5 kite sizes used

For all foil kite riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Peak4/5 kite sizes used

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:11 am

In the just over 1½ years I have had Peak4 (and 5) kites, I have checked my log and used 5 and 6 m2 the most, in particular when you know they are the most overlapping, they are by far the most used sizes for me:
PeakSizes.jpg
PeakSizes.jpg (33.76 KiB) Viewed 5708 times

Of course it is influenced by the fact that when more wind I also wingfoil, and when lots of wind I often waveboard kite also or instead.
And I have not had the 6 m2 for more than a year, so this size IS the most used in fact.
The 11 m2 I had very shortly and sold it again, the 8 m2 does it for me as the biggest size @78 kg, and then other kites when less than 8 knots of wind.
I tend to avoid using the 8 m2 if in any way possible to ride 6, but when wind below 9-10 knots the 8 is my "go to" kite, unless too small.

The 4 m2 is the most fun size, but often I am out on other gear also or instead when this size apply.

I might have missed some logs, it can happen I forget, but it gives a rough picture of which sizes I use how often here in Denmark.

Could be interesting to hear how often others use their sizes?

8) Peter

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Flysurfer Peak4/5 kite sizes used

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:26 am

I'm about 82 kg on a Moses 633, and I have sizes 3-11.

I find that there is a big overlap on the 6 and 8 meter sizes, and ever since I got the 6, I've been wondering if I can just get rid of the 8.

I use the 11 quite a bit here in Florida in the summertime, but it's just easy cruising in light wind and pretty flat water.

If I try to take the 11 out in light wind and waves (rare here on the gulf coast), there is a pretty good chance I'll outrun it. And, if so, a fair chance I'll end up swimming in.

I have similar problems with the 8, except when well-powered in onshore winds. The 6 seems to have close to the same functional power as the 8, but handles much more nicely.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 am

One thing is for sure ..4m is the most fun size and then 3m ..rest are OK . 6m too slow and I think we could find better (more fun) alternatives like twin skin or Aluula LEI

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:15 am

sonny2727 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:58 am
One thing is for sure ..4m is the most fun size and then 3m ..rest are OK . 6m too slow and I think we could find better (more fun) alternatives like twin skin or Aluula LEI
That is my experience too. I pretty much only use 4m on water. Except for a handful of times when on gusty lakes or at places with bad launches, i used the 5m peak as a lightwind kite with a big foil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:35 am

I love the 6 m2 the most, no doubt at all - find it plenty fast turning :rollgrin:

Whereas the 8 is something I have to use when not sufficient wind, and lazy so I dont want to take another kite (either pumping a LEI or having to deinflate a dual skin foil kite after the session).
So for me there is no "overlap" between 6 and 8, two different species like night and day for me, as the 8 is out of necessity and not much fun except the ability to ride in a jiffy if too low wind..

The 6's are awesome, now everything is possible and easy and fun (for me).
Crazy that when out with the 6, others ride 12 m2 Soul or 12 m2 LEI's :o
Although, many ride, IMO, with way too big kites - but with "normal" kites where you can not turn fast nor carve tight or ride waves till somewhat more wind (meaning max 7 m2 LEI) - well, it does not make the same sense to go smaller as they are dull anyways :wink:

5 is the in between size, great kite but overlaps the 4 and 6 in both range and fun indeed.

If I did not wingfoil also, the 4 might be my most used indeed, but not sure as the 6 is my favorite by far, maximum fun starts here for me :naughty:

8) Peter

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:55 am

3, 4, 5 & 11 in use here..
Most fun are the 3 & 4m, no doubt. 5 is used a lot to and my 11.. well I use it often on the small inland gusty lake around 10kts (which means drops till 4-5 kts are normal.. and gust way more than you want on a 11m) but it's the most boring kite in my Peak range.. Still need to try a 6 & 8 to decide what size to pick or to expand my Winging gear..

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:02 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:35 am
I love the 6 m2 the most, no doubt at all - find it plenty fast turning :rollgrin:

Whereas the 8 is something I have to use when not sufficient wind, and lazy so I dont want to take another kite (either pumping a LEI or having to deinflate a dual skin foil kite after the session).
So for me there is no "overlap" between 6 and 8, two different species like night and day for me, as the 8 is out of necessity and not much fun except the ability to ride in a jiffy if too low wind..

The 6's are awesome, now everything is possible and easy and fun (for me).
Crazy that when out with the 6, others ride 12 m2 Soul or 12 m2 LEI's :o
Although, many ride, IMO, with way too big kites - but with "normal" kites where you can not turn fast nor carve tight or ride waves till somewhat more wind (meaning max 7 m2 LEI) - well, it does not make the same sense to go smaller as they are dull anyways :wink:

5 is the in between size, great kite but overlaps the 4 and 6 in both range and fun indeed.

If I did not wingfoil also, the 4 might be my most used indeed, but not sure as the 6 is my favorite by far, maximum fun starts here for me :naughty:

8) Peter
Do you think you could leave out the 5m and just bring 4m and 6m to the beach? Thinking about changing to 4m and 6m peak5.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:15 am

3,4,5,6 here

5 is most worn out. But also wife and kid use it on SB. So i think 4 is most used.
3 is best for sure. Then 4. 5 is not so much. Not because kite is bad but condition is less fun when i rode it. 6 is new i bought it after quick trying but mostly for my family. I cannot imagine how 6 can be most fun, because you cannot drift so much in 6m condition imo. Thats all what is peak to me - drift. Also i bought 6 version 4 at of fear that version 5 will be some kind of closed cell hybrid and i dont like that idea. Now im regreting. For my foiling 345 and then 9m closed cell was all i ever need. But if peak 5 in 8m is more solid and closed cellish maybe i switch just for convience.

seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS

Postby seppalord » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:35 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:02 am
Do you think you could leave out the 5m and just bring 4m and 6m to the beach? Thinking about changing to 4m and 6m peak5.
I just received 4m and 6m peak5, when 2,5 is available I will order right away.
So my quiver is 2,5, 4,6. Dealer mentioned that p5 is more rigid and hence has a better windrange than p4. I hope that's true :wink:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:55 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:02 am

Yes, two of my friends has done this, 4 and 6.

Having a 5 m2 is a luxury (I like), but IMO not neccessary if you want to go minimalistic.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
lederhosen (Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”