Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

For all foil kite riders
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

Postby a99 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 pm
Yes it flaps like every single skin when you reach the limit of comfortable high end.

But since l estimate my low end to about 8 knots (deduced from above post of Geron that has ride in 11 knots at 85kg with the 4m2...), Therefore hysper has definitelly a wide range before flapping. I must precise that I was not feeling really overpowered, just the inconfort of a "slow vibration" in bar at the high gust and the wish to have 4 m less on the lines which i will modify in the future.
I think that for lake irregular conditions, with this wide range, safe depower and its "promissing" water relaunch, it should be a very interesting solution.
Thanks Regis. How do you think it is worth to order for 6m Hysper super light material as you ordered for you 14m or stay on regular their clotch? I just thinking if will be some essential difference for 6m from super light 27gr material, main point just that kite always say in the sky in 2-3 knots. Or do you think it is not affect as difference between 740 gr and super light which will be probably sokething anout 690 gr not makes ant sense? But in general as we all know more lighter kite more turning speed, so probably most effect will be for turning than for hanging in sky on super low wind? But maybe than it will lose some stifness on regular winds? Of course for very large 11 or 14 m hyspers i think only siper light material is a way but probably for small sizes from 6m it doesn’t makes sense?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:21 pm

I would think that light material is only a plus for 14m or 11m, seeking for ride in very low wind , but not below those large sizes ; keep in mind that Sky country recommends its standard cloth for single skins...

The difference in weight will be small (40 grams difference on the 4m according to a friend that has the two), so I would rather choose a more thick cloth for better wear in time... if you loop the kite in lulls, the 6m will stay in about 3 knots I suppose, so maybe 2.5 for the lighter cloth ? the weight of the briddles is proportionally higher on a single skin and on a small kite .... so % weight saving is lower on small kite, while small kites suffer more from 'dynamics" over loads ; and when you will ride with the 6m, it will be "charged" so I think that the difference in agility will be negligeable for such an agile small kite.

Ps: by the way, single skins are intresecally agile because of :
- the lighter weight of intrados cloth saving
- no air entrapped so less mass inertia to put in rotation.
At least I felt that agility was largely suitable, even when riding downwind with almost no wind in the kite.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
a99 (Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:34 pm) • bitxopalo (Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:30 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm

Sizing - it started with concept air having 2.5 as the size below 4, and now both hysper 2 and flysurfer peak 5 have the same gap. Can anyone explain why this big (%) drop in size makes sense?

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:26 pm

I think that the 4m already has a lot of wind range because it is so fast to move in the window to get up foiling. In the high end, there are adjustments in the bridle that help and also using shorter lines help. It is more the time that takes you to change this settings (line extensions) that is not so good. I imagine that the 2.5m will be so fast that will be able to have good power spikes on demand. (so the smaller the kite, the higher the wind range). You can have more kite sizes with same setting (and bar) or less and have two bars (long and short)? I think 22 or 23m lines is a good all-around size, I am using 22m for the 6m and 23m for the 4m.
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
a99 (Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:21 pm

geron wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:26 pm
I think that the 4m already has a lot of wind range because it is so fast to move in the window to get up foiling. In the high end, there are adjustments in the bridle that help and also using shorter lines help. It is more the time that takes you to change this settings (line extensions) that is not so good. I imagine that the 2.5m will be so fast that will be able to have good power spikes on demand. (so the smaller the kite, the higher the wind range). You can have more kite sizes with same setting (and bar) or less and have two bars (long and short)? I think 22 or 23m lines is a good all-around size, I am using 22m for the 6m and 23m for the 4m.
Could you write in percent how much 4m is faster than 6m in your opinion?

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:31 pm

a99 wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:21 pm
Could you write in percent how much 4m is faster than 6m in your opinion?
The 6m is fast, it is just that you have to get used to how much bar input you put. If I only use the 6m, I get used to the bar movement and it is fine and feels perfect fast. But if I use the 4m and then use the 6m again, I have to reprogram my brain to work the kite (so that I don't feel like it is turning "slow"), but in reality, it is very fast, it is just a mater of getting used to the right input needed.
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
a99 (Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 am

merl wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 pm
Sizing - it started with concept air having 2.5 as the size below 4, and now both hysper 2 and flysurfer peak 5 have the same gap. Can anyone explain why this big (%) drop in size makes sense?
Smaller kites have a wider wind range. I can use a 4m & 3m Peak4 from 12 to 30 knots. (Shorter 14m lines on the 3m over 22 knots). That leaves a lot of sizes of Peaks to cover the 5 to 12 knot range.
Needless to say I'm keenly waiting for a 2.5m Peak5 which may work to 30 knots with standard lines :D

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:40 pm

2.5 to 4m gap is plain stupid.
I just hope that it is not real 2.5 and real 4. And more like 2.5 and 3.5
Last edited by tomtom on Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:40 pm

This is valid also for Peak

stevet25
Rare Poster
Local Beach: West Cornwall
Has thanked: 0

Postby stevet25 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:44 pm

Thanks Regis for great review and video

Your vid really captures very well the flight characteristics of the kite.....please could you share which camera you use, and where and how you mount it in order to capture such steady images?

Many thanks

Return to “Foil Kites”