Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

For all foil kite riders
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 am

Thanks for video, looks as very stable flying.

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm

8 to 11 knot (7 to 10?) wind speed and some waves is my low end with the 6m Hysper and 27m lines. At those winds, I was able to get foiling with kite loops and where able to go upwind in the gusts. I was able to go toe-side fine. For downwind might be good.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am

Thanks for the video, Regis.
Amazing how it flew directly downwind.

Now, for the hard question... would you consider videos of relaunching? :roll: :D

That's the reason I retired the Peaks: just too bothersome (and at times... risky) having a kite which will not relaunch :(

Thanks again.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm

azoele wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am
Amazing would you consider videos of relaunching? :roll: :D

That's the reason I retired the Peaks: just too bothersome (and at times... risky) having a kite which will not relaunch :(
This is also why I sold my ex peak4, after a bad situation I lived when not beeing able to relaunch and kite drown partially underwater in small waves.

Hard to say about its relaunch reliability, and I do not want to put my kite in the water on purpose... (since I suspect it should kite never end in the water) ;

what I can just tell you is "in favor" of its relaunch:
- closed LE clearly provide a huge buoyancy, so I do not expect to see the wing tips go underwater with the pulleys like on peak and act as a underwater anchor
- Bozzo experienced several relaunch ; I think he experienced once not to relaunch, I do not recall the reason why, but several relaunch with no particular method
- this kite is initially designed for beginners, relaunch should be in its genes...
- closed cells prevent water to be rapidly catch in the kite following one mistake once kite in the water.

IMO it relaunch easily provided that there is decent wind ; under 9 knots, I suspect double skin to have more chance to water relaunch because they offer twice more surface exposed to the wind when laid on the water.

I also believe that Hysper to keep flying more easily than double skin AND peak due to higher stiffness in full lulls. it is just a personal assumption for now, to be confirmed.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
a99 (Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:07 pm) • Sceotend (Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:59 pm

Interesting kite! Thanks for all the information.

Does anyone know how fast are the different sizes relative to each other? What is the sweet spot size if any for this kite, e.g. smaller Peaks are a lot faster than big ones.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:26 pm

the smaller , the faster :-) ;
no, seriously I do not think there is enough feed back today... In the coming weeks I will be able to compare the 4m with 8m and with 14m, but cannot compare with peaks.

But in the first order : it should be similar as the peak relative evolution with the size.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Sceotend (Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 pm

Thank you Regis :thumb:

9 Knots I am not scared if it doesn't relaunch, unless I ventured a bit too far away and water is cold.

I am afraid in higher winds when waves are tougher, and nastier (and I had a similar experience as what you described, only with a LEI kite which did not relaunch and dragged me underwater because of a small – 1m or so - but very powerful wave... I'd wish to never have to live through it again...).

If it relaunches in 12+ knots reliably, that is excellent news. :thumb:

As to my usual question: how do you find bar pressure? :D

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:17 pm
azoele wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:43 am
Amazing would you consider videos of relaunching? :roll: :D

This is also why I sold my ex peak4, after a bad situation I lived when not beeing able to relaunch and kite drown partially underwater in small waves.

Hard to say about its relaunch reliability, and I do not want to put my kite in the water on purpose... (since I suspect it should kite never end in the water) ;

what I can just tell you is "in favor" of its relaunch:
- closed LE clearly provide a huge buoyancy, so I do not expect to see the wing tips go underwater with the pulleys like on peak and act as a underwater anchor
- Bozzo experienced several relaunch ; I think he experienced once not to relaunch, I do not recall the reason why, but several relaunch with no particular method
- this kite is initially designed for beginners, relaunch should be in its genes...
- closed cells prevent water to be rapidly catch in the kite following one mistake once kite in the water.

IMO it relaunch easily provided that there is decent wind ; under 9 knots, I suspect double skin to have more chance to water relaunch because they offer twice more surface exposed to the wind when laid on the water.

I also believe that Hysper to keep flying more easily than double skin AND peak due to higher stiffness in full lulls. it is just a personal assumption for now, to be confirmed.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:23 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:26 pm
the smaller , the faster :-) ;
no, seriously I do not think there is enough feed back today... In the coming weeks I will be able to compare the 'm with 8m and with 14m, but cannot compare with peaks.
But in the first order : it should be similar as the peak relative evolution with the size.
And how is with flapping of Hysper? Much less than on Peak4? Or in general no substantial flapping on Hysper?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:50 pm

Yes it flaps like every single skin when you reach the limit of comfortable high end.

On the video you can see a bit flapping sometimes, (or if not visible: it was flapping in both extrémities of thé training edge), corresponding to when i was sheeting out to slow down in 20 knots. At that high end, it is less agile and need to keep significant tension on upper rear Line when riding 90 dégree and kite low on the water.

But since l estimate my low end to about 8 knots (deduced from above post of Geron that has ride in 11 knots at 85kg with the 4m2...), Therefore hysper has definitelly a wide range before flapping. I must precise that I was not feeling really overpowered, just the inconfort of a "slow vibration" in bar at the high gust and the wish to have 4 m less on the lines which i will modify in the future.

I think that for lake irregular conditions, with this wide range, safe depower and its "promissing" water relaunch, it should be a very interesting solution.

Bar pressure: in this high wind, it is medium to medium-high i would say, a bit less than LEI but a bit more than medium ratio double skin , to be confirmed by other users because it is sometimes subjective.. I dislike high bar pressure in general, but it does not disturbed me actually, even After 1,5 hours non-stop.
(And despite my fragile shoulder). Maybe because when it comes to ride waves and swap often from upwind to downwind, it is not a real problem to me because there is almost no bar pressure downwind.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
bitxopalo (Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:08 pm) • a99 (Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:17 pm

I find on the high end similar feeling to Regis in terms of bar pressure etc. Regarding flapping, I find that it does flap but it is more comfortable and feels better than the Peaks because in the Peaks, you feel that if you don’t have enough pressure on the bar, the kite might deform and collaps (in high winds); with the Hysper, the shape si more stable and you can depower more, it flaps but it stays stable and therefore, you can depower more.

I would say, “the flapping works better?”

Or rather, the leading edge works better when the trailing edge is flapping?
These users thanked the author geron for the post (total 3):
Regis-de-giens (Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:37 pm) • bitxopalo (Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:48 pm) • a99 (Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:03 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Foil Kites”