Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:54 pm

I open a dedicated topic on the test of this hybrid kite: single skin with a closed leading edge, dedicated to water.
photo here again to illustrate:

I tested my brand new 8m2 , on 1200 cm2 foil, 15-20 knots I would say. I had only a 23m bar which was a bit too long for those windy conditions.

Drift is excellent, you can still ride the wave even if the kite is in opposition on the wrong window; It seems more "rigid" when lines are fully slack, compared to Peak ; you feel more in confidence of a kite folding in two.

About agility, the kite turns fast and well even when going toward the kite (with poor line tension). Excellent point.

Kite seems very powerful ; in those 20 knots gusts, I was a bit overpowered ; one guy on a TT was jumping 3 meter height with a 8m LEI , so definitively above the sweet spot of the kite for a 60kg rider on a hydrofoil ; I was not in danger at all , and depower is instantaneous and huge (which is a good thing for very gusty conditions or snow kite in mountains): but I was at the top end of my "comfort zone" ; with some light vibrations in gusts in the bar, some fluttering at top gusts, but quite rare in the end.

Upwind is really excellent if you agree to ride slow; surprisingly good for a single skin and far better than Firefly; should be comparable to FS peak but I never tested a FS peak in 8m

When riding transverse you feel that lateral force is important , not really pleasant vs standard kites: less adapted to this direction in high wind; speed was good , very good in this wind (say 16-18 knots with this 1200 cm2 foil), but at a price of a lot of lateral pull.

At those middle/high winds , kite is not pleasant when you put it low toward water surface: it want to sink down when you sheet out a lot in gusts (a bit like a overpowered LEI, maybe the "overweight" of the closed leading edge); so, below 45 degree azimut, you need to keep a certain pressure on the back hand to keep it straight, which is uncomfortable in high wind , when you want to absorb a gust or decrease speed ; above 45 degree, no problem anymore and bar pressure is significant in high end; but not too high.

It has a a bit of lift, you can do small jump if you drive the kite actively ; better than Peak from my memory ; but low hang time ; redirecting the kite when landing is very natural in view of its agility.

I am Impatient to test it around 10 knots as it seems both agile, powerful and extremely stable;
... and hope to have waves because it is really where this kite seems to shine.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 4):
a99 (Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 pm) • bitxopalo (Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:26 am) • seppalord (Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:01 am) • khaakon (Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:25 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Re: test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

Postby geron » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:23 pm

Hello Regis, I agree with your review in all you say (in my case for the 6m with maybe 3 or so more knots of wind). I asked Dmytro about the bar pressure in the high end and he suggested to use the adjustment of the trailing lines in the bridles (from E to F) and it made the bar pressure much better in the high winds. http://www.lesfoilz.com/phpBB3/download ... &mode=view
(I haven’t tried changing the ABC bridle settings)
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
a99 (Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:42 pm

Thanks for review, of course would be nice to see video of flying. With 8 m normally on stabile 20 knots with 60 kg? Even for peak 5m as we know it is very top.
Also how these Hysper2 kites can be lighter than Peak if material is heavier than Peaks new materials. Could you weight it with bridles and made photo, because i think a lot of people cannot believe that they are so lighter than Peaks of the same size.
In general something mystical going with this kite - lighter than peaks but officially material is heavier, goin better than Peaks but company totally unknow and really can't be comparable with Flysurfer experience and German perfection and attention to details. Seems us UFO made in different planet? :)
It can be flown with usual standart bar? For the connection With bar line are the same small rings or different? Please to photo of Mixer and connection to understand whole system. It is possible to do mixer test as on all Flysurfer foils?

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:19 am

Wouldn't this kite be suitable for a comparison with Gin Marabou more than Peak?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:56 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:19 am
Wouldn't this kite be suitable for a comparison with Gin Marabou more than Peak?

True, it is the Sky Country "Casper" which should be compared to the Peak.

So a Gin Marabou would be more of a similar refererence for comparison, as same "species" so to speak :wink:

8) Peter

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:20 pm

I'll try to put it on a calibrated scale today to know the weight;
Agree with you the Marabou is of the same type and worth comparing it to ; Unfortunatelly I did not ride the marabou, except in highest size in marginal wind, so nothing comparable. Bozzo from lesfoizs, likes waves in hydrofoil and tested Marabout (one or two sessions in demo), firefly (owner) , peak (owner) and hysper (owner); his preference went to Hysper from the first ride, and now , after several hours , the hysper has become his "unavoidable kite" in his quiver , for freeride in irregular medium wind of Marseille and waves . Of course it is not a rule and every one has its own preference.

Related to peak versus, my experience with peak did not cover the same size and conditions, so I can't really ensure which is "better" on which parameter; just some "feeling" pre-remarks (by the time another good knower of the peak will compare in detail), like this light stiffness increase of closed LE when fully slack lines ;

When looking at peak vs Hysper design, hysper seem to show less "engineered design": less bridles, less canopy straps, less attachement points along the chord and along the length , less reinforcement around briddles attachement ; this could explain at least part of the weight saving, but also potentially imply more fragility with time, pure assumption to be looked at.

Hysper was developped initially as beginner kite when reading the Skycountry comment on the kite, while peak is designed for snowkite , including hard slope climbing , so maybe peak includes features for more harsh conditions and is more robust ; it "looks like" I would say, and "future will let us know ".

One accelerating factor of wear on a Single skin is its fluttering near the trailing edge that could destroys the canopy at any "hotpoint", hotpoint could be a transversal sew and/or a change in cloth stiffness along the chord ; so more local reinforcement (or briddles or local thicker cloth) can be in benefit but also in detriment of the wear, depending on where is the wear exactly appears ...
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
a99 (Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:23 pm) • AndersP (Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:58 pm

Very interesting kite.
Iam curious about its performance in its low end (8m version). I wont use it on wind higher than 10knot (65KG)...
I suppouse it will be around 7-8knot

I had no good experience with peaks bigger sizes, narrow range, lots of lateral pull, poor upwind... So it will be a great surprise if Regis 14m is good performant... I will keep tuned

Thanks everyone for sharing

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 pm

960 grams on a certified professional scale ; peak4 8m is quoted at 1160 grams = about 20% difference which is more differences that I would have thought ...
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
a99 (Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:08 pm) • Smeagle (Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:52 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:38 pm
960 grams on a certified professional scale ; peak4 8m is quoted at 1160 grams ; = about 20% difference which is more differences that I would have though ...
Thanks for info, as i understand it is with bridles and mixer?
Peak5 is 10 percents lighter than peak4, so, difference remain 10 percents any way.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:46 pm

yes , with mixer and bridles
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
a99 (Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”