Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: test of Hysper v2 from Sky Country, relaunchable single skin

Postby geron » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:25 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 7:32 pm

"jaja" like you say ; lol ... thanks for the advice ... :D ; as you may have guessed , you can play with the radius value and this is the radius I had chosen at that time, depending on wind feeling and my goal at that moment;-). and also because the Hysper-2 is very "open" and versatile to various loops, so you can do "what you want" with poor consequences :thumb: ; bu ok, if it is to save the kite from going to water or keep it high to catch a bit more wind, you need a short loop even with controlled backstall; if wind gradient is not high or if you are in a ride, you can increase the diameter and get more power; hard to debate on the feeling of the kite by words and my choice of the good balance. :wink: :roll:
Grate expenation, thanks.
These users thanked the author geron for the post:
bitxopalo (Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:53 am

Enjoy :-)
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
a99 (Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:49 pm)

Sky Country Kites
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Greece
Favorite Beaches: Greece
Style: foiling
Gear: SpiritV2-HysperV2-SpetreV3
Brand Affiliation: Sky Country Kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby Sky Country Kites » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:13 am

Congratulation Régis !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:33 am

and now, finally the test of the 4m ! 4 month after having received it , it is a world record ! Damned surgery act :-)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:24 am

Compared to a 4m peak or firefly it looks like it backstalls really easily - is that just the way you like to fly it, or is it very sensitive to backline pressure?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:05 pm

yes it is very sensitive to over-sheeting ; can't compare to peak, but yes it is ; I also played with it on purpose from the middle of the video, so it is a drawback for beginners, but once a bit used to it (and this is a general feed back from other users in france : they claim you need to accustom the very short bar stroke in the first minutes), then it can be turned to a positive thing : you can place the kite easily in the window as you can see on the video by one very short bar input , and obtain a turn extremely tight from where ever in the wind window ; but indeed, a bit destabilizating at the start ; (*)

And destabilizing also when you fall in the water : I am used to oversheet the foilkite to keep line tension and stability when falling down, but with this kite it is better to release the bar pressure (a bit like a LEI) to avoid heliloops.

(*) for info, Sky Country designed the small sizes so as to have to trim from your standard bar ; the idea is that many bars have a reducecd bar through when trimed, so it is a way to use same bar for every sizes, but adapte the bar stroke and stopper. if you want to ride it without trimming it, you need to add some short line extensions on the rear connections.

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:20 pm

I had a downwind with the 2.5m yesterday in winds from 18 to 25 knots. It is the first time that I use it and I also could have gone with the 4m. I think I could have gone more parallel to the wind with the 4m and it is even more sensitive to bar trim than the 4. I didn’t get completely in tuned with it, but my bar doesn’t have trim adjuster so the throw is normal for larger kites. I did shorten (from the beginning) the back lines so that when fully de powered, the kite has a normal flutter but does not deform.
To get out of the water foiling was challenging because of the sensitivity and looping was difficult because it is so fast and the pull with the loop is fast in this wind speed.

I am wondering if a special really small bar (also with a small bar throw) might make things eassier for the 2.5 (and maybe even for the 4m)?

It is good that is water relaunchable (specially in this small sizes) because I droped it several times and always went up again.

Regis, that 180 tack looks kool, I will have to master it.
Last edited by geron on Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 6 times in total.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:24 pm

Thanks for the reply Regis. I am not sure I see sky country's logic in small sizes - trimming does not reduce the bar throw in most setups that I can think of. But good info about what to expect with the hysper.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:14 pm

My bar also have a constant stroke whatever the trim ; but in my previous bars I remember that pulling the trim was approaching the bar stopper (clam cleat) closer. Anyway, it is not big deal, we know the length you should add to the rear if you want to avoid trimming ; it is really a "detail"; I also feel that the kite is extremely stable even if fully tried and sheet-out, so you could live and ride without a closer stopper IMO, meaning using a standard bar with small rear extensions of 15 cm.

I found that 180 are really more difficult to pass with the hyper compared to standard double skin or LEI. Main cause is less lift I think ; I had to practice several time and was still failing one every 2 trials, even after several trials. Maybe just a tuning in my timing and "instant turn" but clearly less "tolerant" at first sight ...

geron
Frequent Poster

Postby geron » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:35 pm

Regis, I get confused; I seem to have shortened the back lines in this small size kites (so that I can let go of the bar and the kite doesent get deformed or goes without control in high winds). But you seem to sugest the oposit; to extend the back lines? It might be that I am just dislexic and confused ?

Return to “Foil Kites”