Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Skywalk Flare - what is it?

For all foil kite riders
HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Re: Flysurfer Skywalk Flare - what is it?

Postby HALF » Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:11 pm

i was told that it won't have anything to do with kitesurfing, but will be a game changer for paragliding, let's wait and see. I may start a new hobby if they present it well.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Breze » Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:58 am

https://go-flare.com/Academy/

Reflex profil and a mixer

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:48 pm

It looks awesome and i want one!

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 am
Schietwedder wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 pm
It doesn't look very closed cell to me Screenshot_20220123-224412.png

probably mainly soaring maybe snowkite like some people also "kite" with paragliders as part of groundhandling practice.
I'm pretty damn sure this will also be a water kite. We shall wait and see.
Tell us what you know!! haha

How I wish this can be used on water with a hydrofoil and be able to take off and glide for a ridiculous amount of time

Does anyone know what the minimum elevation / slope needed is ?

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:15 pm

Also thought about what would happen if it was closed cell.....
Probably starting and landing would be harder in more wind but I also think not impossible since when you bring a normal closed cell down, the wind window is way bigger.
A safety issue? I cant say. For sure backwards landing a 15-22m² closed cell in 10-15 knots of wind let alone 20 knots is not so easy. Cobra launch, yes quite easy probably, but landing without asistance..... Maybe a stabilo line going to the wingtips which you could pull until you grab the wingtip flagging the kite out....if the bridle is not too short..
Collapses could be a major issue.... closed cell could collapse very seldomly but when it does very brutal.
Although people snowkite/fly down with closed cells since ages and nothing happens.

For the intended purpose closed cell would make little sense, for kiting yes but does that work with 0m lines and aren´t you way overpowered when using similar wind strength and area that you also would fly in?

Also massive flights without a dune or some vertical wind component? I dont know. Maybe a hydrofoil which sucks you down like an anchor as opposed to creating lift.....

I had some experiments in my head making a new bridle for my 16.5m and connecting that to a flying harness.
Since I have no paragliding experience and this is also probably not covered by the accident/health insurance with self made gear a step too risky up to now.

What I am creating though is a 4m closed cell Kite/wing and try with skateboard/wingfoil.... if it does not work I can re bridle for a 4m low AR storm foil-kite.
Attachments
image15.png
The bridle is inspired by the born street star
image16.png
Kite is closed cell and whill have a longitudinal bar that controlls the depower.... maybe flexible enough to trim the camber
image17.png
If that works you could paddle out with kite in the backpack on the foilboard through the breakwater and start it in the water... lets see....maybe off topic a bit though
image13.png
16.5m kite
image14.png
16.5m re bridled as a parakite....very roughly just for the idea

Schietwedder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Surendorf, Kiel, Germany
Gear: Diy Gear

Postby Schietwedder » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:07 am

Benni Boelli (the designer among Armin, Benni Kälin and so forth) confirmed when I asked under a FB post that closed cell makes no difference when flying properly but colapses indeed get more violent/dangerous with closed cell because the canopy can´t take "energy" out of the collapse when deforming. (much like a crumple zone in a car crash maybe as a cliffhanger) So the collapses get more dynamic or canopy can get tangled on closed cell canopy. That is of course not what you want clode to the ground. Also groundhandling becomes a little more difficult.

What they got years of experience ahead now is porbably late stall although running reflex profiles and making the collapses managable and not dangerous close to the ground. This is probably also why diy solutions or other brands copying it would be only advisable (copying is never advisable though :D) with large test pilot experiences or very good flying capabilities. So I´m out "just" converting one of my kites which was not designed for flying in the first place.
If it was so easy they would have brought it years ago.
Huge respect to their team.

But man now that you see it works, very tempting to do a licence and get one of those. My local spot is full of cliffs and steep coast lines with soft beach below. (although it´s not legal in Germany being not licensed as a paraglider)

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:55 pm

In real landing

Return to “Foil Kites”