Weight: 75
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite
Slingshot Raptor
Flysurfer Peak 5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Foil kite handling in high wind

Postby ChefPsychonaut » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 pm

I'm a LEI veteran getting to know his first foil kite...

I've seen videos of two main launch techniques: hot launch (which I've had more success with) after weighing the trailing edge down with snow, OR folding a tip, weighing it down while the rest of the kite trails downwind. With the second method, I've found that if the wind moves around a bit, it can flip/twist the kite. But, it seems safer than hot launching if the wind is strong. Thoughts?

And--How in hell do you wrap up the kite when the wind is howling, to prevent tangles? All the vids I've found are filmed in zero wind. I've had some success, but I'm beginning to think those times were just luck... other times it's like a pile of coat hangers throwing a tangle party as soon as I close the bag! I've started making sure to wrap the mixers onto the bar... helped some, but would appreciate your tips.
These users thanked the author ChefPsychonaut for the post:
deldenk (Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: Foil kite handling in high wind

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:29 am

As far as launching with the wing tip weighted with sand is concerned, I've put bits sand along the trailing edge with the trailing edge slightly up wind. It helps to keep the kite from flopping around and creating tangles in the bridle.

For packing up in high winds, I use four tube socks filled with sand along with my weight bag to hold the kite down while rolling up my lines. I put at least one sock in the center of the kite. After the kite has deflated, I fold the kite from tip to tip removing the socks as I go. After I have it folded in two, I put the socks on top of the kite and begin rolling up the kite removing the socks as I go.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
Steve271 (Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:14 am)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:34 am

Cobra style launch:

Once top half of kite is lifted it wants to overfly the sanded bottom half, need to apply constant pull on top rear leader to keep the top half breaked. Failing to do this is Probable cause of your twists imho
Don’t rush to pull the kite off the ground or the bottom half will be insufficiently inflated. If you do it may luff/twist and drift the kite into the mid window. If it then pops open mid window you may be yarded.

Pack down: Personally I just get the canopy rolled/folded ASAP and wind up lines after, the bridle can be tucked into last fold once wound.

PS I have my trim in when launching and so have to pull quite a lot of rear to keep the kite beaked, means I have quick access to both extremes of trim. Not sure what most do with regard to this!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:12 am

When launching, I noticed that I was initially not stepping towards the kite (or walking downwind enough) whilst it was inflating. Effectively this allows the kite to twist around a bit on the ground so that it rises up more like an assisted LEI launch. You can see Armin doing it in this video (at about 1 min) where he steps towards and away from the kite to control the direction the kite moves.

I've seen people fold the kite in half downwind rather than upwind to help against tangles. Haven't tested enough to know if it works but its in the flysurfer soul user manual too so there must be some basis for it. My experience is that its best to try and land where there is a wind shadow (I have a 5ft sea wall I can land next to ) and that helps to stop the tangles.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Steve271 (Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:19 am)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:04 pm

^^You can see in the video that if you pull a little too much on the top rear the kite falls back more into the hot launch position but that is recoverable by easing the pull or walking forwards. However, if you let it fall forwards it is likely to collapse and knock air out of the kite and can end up in a mess.

ChefPsychonaut
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 75
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite
Slingshot Raptor
Flysurfer Peak 5
Has thanked: 0

Postby ChefPsychonaut » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:17 pm

Thanks for the tips!

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 pm

ChefPsychonaut wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:15 pm
I'm a LEI veteran getting to know his first foil kite...

I've seen videos of two main launch techniques: hot launch (which I've had more success with) after weighing the trailing edge down with snow, OR folding a tip, weighing it down while the rest of the kite trails downwind. With the second method, I've found that if the wind moves around a bit, it can flip/twist the kite. But, it seems safer than hot launching if the wind is strong. Thoughts? ........
Here's a related question for this group.

Assuming I have enough space downwind, I also prefer to hot launch with the kite directly downwind and the trailing edge weighted with sand. I like being able to see that the lines and bridles are in good order just prior to launch. I've never felt uncomfortable hot launching a foil kite. If the wind is strong, I bring the kite up quickly so it doesn't fully inflate or power up until it's almost overhead. If the wind is light, I bring the kite up more slowly so that it inflates to proper shape at a lower altitude.

At what point or wind condition does a hot launch become unsafe or too sketchy for an experienced foil kiter? I use my foil kites primarily in light to moderate wind, and switch to LEIs for high winds. Have others reached a point where the wind speed is too much for safely hot launching a foil kite? (Is the answer different for snow vs. beach?)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:08 am

I'd say your wind limit is based on how much downwind room you have. It's never the launch that worries me in high wind, its the landing again at the end. i.e. How much of a pain will it be to untangle the birds nest of lines if you are on your own and have to pull the QR or you have to drown the kite to get it to sit still?

Personally for me, I like the simplicity that LEIs give you in high winds (it will sit happily on a wing tip if necessary and if I need to pull the QR it is a lot easier to get the kite back in the air again afterwards as less chance of a wrap) and looping LEI's is fun in high winds

This guy is launching in pretty strong wind here (though doesn't look like a hot launch):

I know that the canadian ourkitelife people did a video about how to hot launch as that's all thats available at their spot. They didn't put a limit on the wind speed but they've shot videos in 30 knots before so....?
Their main advice was not to inflate fully before launching in strong wind as it gets rid of some of the slingshot effect at the expense of kite control.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
FLandOBX (Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:50 pm)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:55 am

At the end is all about practice.... But I not see any reason to Hot launch (except very light wind)

I mainly launch sideway (edge of the window) and its faster, I only put my helmet on the upwind tip (maybe a Stone inside if is windy)... Much faster than putting weight all the trailing edge.

Lines allways 45degree upwind, and slowly walking backwards... Is very fast and simple.

Hope it helps
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
FLandOBX (Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:51 pm)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Herman » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:30 pm

Going back to the original question; another reason for tangles is inaccurate layout. For the cobra launch with just the tip weighted you cannot lay the kite across the wind or the TE will be picked up and blown over the kite in a twist before you get back to the bar. If the wind is shifty you may need to sand the TE just in case.

As for the hot launch limit it will depend on how fast the kite inflates, how quickly it flys to Z, how fast you can scud etc. I certainly would not want to try a hot launch with an open cell foil kite any where near its top end but at least snow will increase your “scudding” speed if you can stand the excitement and stay in control. I used to fire myself up the beach hot launching open cell foils sat in a buggy but, nowadays, like others I only use foils up to moderate wind then change to LEI. I guess the limit has to be a personal thing and I would only push the limit if I had to, like our Canadian friends!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
FLandOBX (Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:51 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”