Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer soul 2 - 15m vs 18m for my goals/weight

Postby martrench » Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:03 am

I picked up an old Flyrace board last year. I use it with my 15m Soul in a shallow spot. The angled footstraps are hard to get used to. Crazy upwind angles!

deniska wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:17 pm

Most of the guys who boost big on FS kites moved to foil boards, but before they did they used custom TT contraptions like this
Attachments
Flyrace.jpg
Flyrace.jpg (160.92 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

migel1976
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Moscow region
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites Airush Lithium 8, FlySurfer Soul 10, 15; Boards Flydoor 170x50, Shin Pinbot 141x44, Hydrofoil Mday 1050 cm

Postby migel1976 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:51 am

in my region in summer time i use soul 15 m with 1100 cm wing and sometime flydoor xl 170, and my opinion better take big board than biger kite, just in case wind getting strong just change board, in egypt i rode with soul 15 in wind about 10 m/s on 135 board, my weight 90 kg

Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum

Postby Raynski » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:26 am

Steve271 wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:59 pm
I know I’m late to this thread, but I own 15m and 18m Soul 1, plus a whole bunch of XRs.
I only Twin tip and weigh 70kg.
Bought both to keep myself and my son riding as low as possible.
I always reach for the 18m to get me going early and am continuously surprised how long I can hold onto it.
Both Souls have lots of light easy depower, making them very smooth at their top end.
For me, the 18m has almost the same upper range as my 15m XR5 which I use when windy is gustier or launch area is sketchy or waves are larger/rougher.
18m and 15m are both slow compared to any tube (it will be glacial compared to your 11m XR), it took me a long time to adjust to the timing differences for turning & sending, but the hang time is out of this world.
Also being slow, they are fun to learn tricks on since they don’t oversteer when you get ham-fisted.
The 15m sure has higher end, but at the target wind range you mention, a guy of your size should have no problem with the 18m. I would be comfortable in that range with the 15m and I’m 50lb lighter and not that good.

sounds good, so if you'd have to rank them in fun in a top 3, where would each of those kites rank?

Steve271
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 150
Local Beach: Milwaukee
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Hatteras, Wisconsin
Style: Mowing the lawn / Small Air
Gear: XRs / Flites / Twintips

Postby Steve271 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:25 am

Good question
I know this sounds like a cop out, but it really depends on the conditions.
I personally prefer tube for flexibility, but you can’t beat a foil for low end performance.
In perfect conditions- like South Padre, shallow, smooth wind & big beach, I’ll run the 18m. It’s bar pressure is so light and gets going so easy- the way it builds apparent wind is amazing- then you can translate that into speed or height.
When it’s less than perfect (which is more often for me) I’ll take a 15m tube kite- especially if there’s a chance things might go wrong. It’s easier to recover from, relaunch, and even take a break.
It is a pain to take a break with a foil kite (unless you’re one of the super-experienced foil handling guys, which I’m not). My local spot requires drift launching (small boat ramp, surrounded by reeds and chest deep water) so foil would be really hard to launch and land there. Deep water pack down is miserable with a foil.
BTW- completely agree with the other comments about a big board- I have a Lightwave wing for the ultimate twin tip light wind ability. The Souls do also pair well with smaller boards too.
I used to have a 17m XR5, but found it had a very narrow range- the 18m soul flies earlier and has a much higher top end.
I like both tube and foil but choose based on where I’m riding.
Also I have found if you buy used at a decent price, you can sell if you don’t like. It took me a while to figure out my riding preferences and they are still different to my buddies.

Raynski
Medium Poster

Postby Raynski » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 pm

thanks so much for all the info steve, appreciate the input

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:41 pm

15m Soul.

grtlakes
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario Nickel and Sunset
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area,
nickel beach, sunset beach
Style: Erratic
Gear: Armstrong 1050 2400, mako king,NHP split, OR flites and prodigy

Postby grtlakes » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:00 am

I sold my 12m soul at a large loss. In stable wind it is incredible. Fast,responsive, powerful and smooth flying. In turbulent wind conditions it is not a safe kite. I flew it in Grenada off a secluded beach. The wind shifted resulting in a bow tie situation. After securing I swam against the current for four hours to land.
I gave it another chance. Back in Ontario I flew into a turbulent wind shadow situation. I was shocked it was the only kite that bow tied out of 15 kites in the air, shorter swim but enough was enough. After using for two years those two situations showed me it’s limitations.
I suggest that you consider your local conditions before investing in this kite. At 100kg 12m was plenty for tt and foil.

Raynski
Medium Poster

Postby Raynski » Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:51 pm

grtlakes wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:00 am
I sold my 12m soul at a large loss. In stable wind it is incredible. Fast,responsive, powerful and smooth flying. In turbulent wind conditions it is not a safe kite. I flew it in Grenada off a secluded beach. The wind shifted resulting in a bow tie situation. After securing I swam against the current for four hours to land.
I gave it another chance. Back in Ontario I flew into a turbulent wind shadow situation. I was shocked it was the only kite that bow tied out of 15 kites in the air, shorter swim but enough was enough. After using for two years those two situations showed me it’s limitations.
I suggest that you consider your local conditions before investing in this kite. At 100kg 12m was plenty for tt and foil.
Couldnt you use the soul as a sail back to land?
Man 4 hours swim, were you foiling by any chance?

Return to “Foil Kites”