Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ive actually run out of rope to do the flysurfer mixer test

Postby jakemoore » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:53 pm

Raynski wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:39 pm
Thanks, really appreciate your input. It does look challenging, i have 2 left hands and im anxious about fucking it up. is there any way to easily only extend B-main with a pigtail instead of b1-b2 as well?
This is how I would do it:
CB6FBBAB-663C-4D57-AB49-DDBB7A06F1A9.jpeg
Of course we are talking about an aging foil kite that would be modified by you, based on the advise of strangers on the internet. So use common sense to avoid a fall onto hard ground or a failure far from shore.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:02 am

Moving this knot also an easy choice. But first look at sparepartlines for wear
Attachments
F14CE48D-7E3F-413A-8BCD-9220BE808B26.jpeg

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am

edt wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm
I still have to fly the kite 100 times afterwards to figure out how to finish tuning. Ok maybe you can do it in 10 flights but it takes me forever I'm still learning
So I like to fly on land in light and smooth wind and relatively short lines so I can see the smallest bridles.

I like to extend C until I get instability and then bring it back until it is just stable. Then I shorten it a little more until I have what I want. Longer C is unstable in extremes. As you shorten you get a period with fast turning, powerful lift but on-off power and sagging rear lines while depower. This is not bad if you want the max low wind ability. Shorten a little more and bar pressure increases and you get more of a progressive depower. This is what you want for turbulent winds or riding powered up and jumping. Shorten too much and then back stall.

I can’t feel the difference in B so much. So I look for a harmonious position where the smallest lines are not slack at extreme power or depower by comparing their appearance to A and C in flight.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:41 am

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am
edt wrote:
I still have to fly the kite 100 times afterwards to figure out how to finish tuning. Ok maybe you can do it in 10 flights but it takes me forever I'm still learning
So I like to fly on land in light and smooth wind and relatively short lines so I can see the smallest bridles.

I like to extend C until I get instability and then bring it back until it is just stable. Then I shorten it a little more until I have what I want. Longer C is unstable in extremes. As you shorten you get a period with fast turning, powerful lift but on-off power and sagging rear lines while depower. This is not bad if you want the max low wind ability. Shorten a little more and bar pressure increases and you get more of a progressive depower. This is what you want for turbulent winds or riding powered up and jumping. Shorten too much and then back stall.

I can’t feel the difference in B so much. So I look for a harmonious position where the smallest lines are not slack at extreme power or depower by comparing their appearance to A and C in flight.
This advice is priceless. Thank you!!

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:57 am

jakemoore wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:14 am
edt wrote:

This makes a lot of sense. How short can you go for this visual approach to tuning?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 pm

merl wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:57 am
This makes a lot of sense. How short can you go for this visual approach to tuning?
Once I attached a 7m Speed to two Home Depot 5 gallon buckets filled with water directly at the mixer. This was when we were adding new pullies to the bridle to try to catch up to Speed 2 performance and depower. It was a pain but I could get the kite to fly static.

I had a 7m lines bar that I would use but since then retired it. Now my shortest lines bar is 16m and I use that.

Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum

Postby Raynski » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm

Small update: brought the kite to a shop, he immediately saw what the issue was, i made a mistake when i replaced the 2 spare part lines, short and long one lmao. Kite flies good now

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:28 pm

Raynski wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm
Small update: brought the kite to a shop, he immediately saw what the issue was, i made a mistake when i replaced the 2 spare part lines, short and long one lmao. Kite flies good now

To get back to your original post, I did not understand what your original issue was:

Did you perform the mixer test because it flew badly?

Or just because you had read/seen videos about it?

My question is, how old is your kite, is everything worn so you had to change the trim setting a lot to get it flying okay, or something else?

Not sure I understood the point "he immediately saw what the issue was"?
Before or after you had changed the trim yourself?

Sorry I did not understand :wink:

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:58 pm

Raynski wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:15 pm
thanks for the update! I am pretty sure he got the B pulley line the C pulley line confused and switched them. the B is 120cm and the C is 100cm. The first line to wear out on that kite is the C pulleyline (it gets the most rubbing against the pulley) and he probably replacled both at once and forgot which was which.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
Raynski (Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:13 pm

Aah, that explains :thumb:

So it was worn and needed to be trimmed a considerable amount.

Return to “Foil Kites”