Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak Size

Postby Janus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:05 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:42 am
For those who push the low end of the Peak, any tips for better upwind. Its the only kite I've ridden where in low wind I can't keep upwind even though I can up onto the foil (e.g. was probably 15-18knots on the 4m Peak and 1100 front wing). I can't remember really having this problem with other kites. Its normally a case that where I can get onto the foil I can ride back upwind. Maybe its a skill thing and I'm used to having power in the harness but definitely felt like I couldn't get any apparent wind.
With (LA foils and) Peaks try to ride more straight up instead of angled and leaning against the power..
Keep the kite slightly powered not fully, you can see the difference in the kite, it wants to fly further in the window when just powered up.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
nothing2seehere (Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:00 pm

Janus is on to something - could also be the issue.

Even when riding my super low aspect foilwing, I go upwind fine, but not screaming upwind when just able to work it onto a foil.

BUT, the smaller the kite, the earlier you can start (relative to its size) because the 3 and 4 m2 WHIP across generating a massive amount of starting power.

I take a 5 m2 if not sufficient for a 4.
Although sometimes I take the 4 just to give the others something to talk about, when they foil with kites twice the size :rollgrin:
Also, a tad too little Peak, and carving and riding waves gets in another league :thumb:

So you could be right, you can start in less wind than you can ride easy upwind - with the small sizes :naughty:

8) Peter

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:00 pm

I had this same problem when I was learning on a slow, thick front wing that couldn't go very fast. It seemed to disappear when I switched to a little bit faster wing and learned how to go faster.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
nothing2seehere (Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:10 pm)

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:14 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:00 pm
I had this same problem when I was learning on a slow, thick front wing that couldn't go very fast. It seemed to disappear when I switched to a little bit faster wing and learned how to go faster.
Thats an interesting point. I have noticed I can't go as fast with the Peaks - e.g. my top speed riding the peaks on my fastest wing (800cm2) is pretty much the same as the top speed with my regular LEI on my fat slow learner wing (1150cm2). I suspect my flying style needs a little more refinement.

Am I correct in saying that the big sizes (8/11/13) have a more grunty pull feeling and the small sizes (3/4/5) have the light feeling. Might explain why some like the big sizes more and some the small sizes more?
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Trent hink (Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:26 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:40 pm

How long have you ridden the 4 m2?

As your muscle memory need to tune in to the sheeting, so unless you got loads of hours on this kite, it could be the only reason.

If so, it will dissapear over time :rollgrin:

I dont ride fast on my 1200 cm2 low aspect wing, doesnt matter for upwind (for me)

Smaller faster wings seems to work fine when going fast (has no idea of upwind, as have never been an issue), but the smaller wings are no good in terms of carving around in the lower wind end of the Peaks (in my experience)

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 am

I've only had a few sessions on the Peak. I also have a (yet to be tested) 8m as I'm looking to see if it will replace my Soul 10m with which I have a love-hate relationship (great low end but will get me foiling right down to the point where it falls out of the sky as the low wind handling is a complex skill - unlike the peak which has felt plug and play in comparison).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:35 am

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 am
I've only had a few sessions on the Peak. I also have a (yet to be tested) 8m as I'm looking to see if it will replace my Soul 10m with which I have a love-hate relationship (great low end but will get me foiling right down to the point where it falls out of the sky as the low wind handling is a complex skill - unlike the peak which has felt plug and play in comparison).

Aaah, okay, I really think it will dissapear with some more hours.

As I recall riding a 3 m2 a few weeks after the 5 (my two very first Peak kites).

5 was intuitively easy to ride, the 3 felt like "how can this ever work?" the very first session :o
Almost like the very first feel I had 10 years ago when kite hydrofoiling for the first times, nobody else did it here - and it felt UNREAL sensitive, and first thoughts were "Can this be real and ever be any fun and control?"
But yes, muscle memory kicked in and it is easy.

The 4 is a lot more similar to the 3 m2, meaning super sensitive to sheeting, can pinwheel both deliberately for fun, but in the start when you crash on your foil you might also do it accidentally :rollgrin:

The 8 m2 is supereasy to fly and feels like any other LEI kite or small foilkite.

So eventhough you can ride with this kite easily, my guess is that over time your body will sheet the kite more perfectly and upwind will return :thumb:

I remember in the past when "bowkites" were new, and the later generations (bridles kites) got less and less bar pressure - great for riding waves onehanded, and you could move the pigtails even further for even less pressure.
BUT, when wind was on the low end, these kites, in particular the big ones, at their lowest pressure setting and on their low end where just possible to ride, were impossible - well they were not - but REALLY difficult to keep ground, as you had no bar resistance so your sheeting was rubbish, without you knowing as the kite seemed to fly fine :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
nothing2seehere (Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:01 pm)

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:31 am

anyone foil with a 13M Peak 5?

Please share your experience on :

1. How slow it is ? I was told you need to send the kite to another side 5 seconds before jibe?
2. we saw a video of Huge foiling in 3 knots of wind on 13M with a signboard, what is your experience on the low end?
3. How soon do you get overpowered on it? would 10 knots still be ridable with 13M peak 5?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 pm

Have had many sessions now on the Peak5 6 m2.

My favorite kite now :D

Yes, a 4 m2 is way more fun, but rarely sufficient wind for the 4, in particular if you also wingfoil :thumb:

The 8 m2 is as I think most of us agree, a "session saver", but boring as hell, you can not carve around tight and have fun in small wind waves, and peak power is rubbish, the 6 m2 close to starting at the same lowend because it has acceleration and more peak power.

But the 6 m2 works perfect for my 78 kg from 9 knots, and is extremely fun, turns fast, drifts good :naughty:

Peak5 definitely has more range, both lower and upper, great :wink:
A bit on cost of stability and drift (doesnt sit quite as deep in the window)

8) Peter

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:39 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:42 am
For those who push the low end of the Peak, any tips for better upwind. Its the only kite I've ridden where in low wind I can't keep upwind even though I can up onto the foil (e.g. was probably 15-18knots on the 4m Peak and 1100 front wing). I can't remember really having this problem with other kites. Its normally a case that where I can get onto the foil I can ride back upwind. Maybe its a skill thing and I'm used to having power in the harness but definitely felt like I couldn't get any apparent wind.
For me this was a significant issue, even after 18 months of flying only peaks. Too many days on the 6m where I can ride but I don't want a huge slow wing, so I'm out on a faster smaller wing, with surf or tide to deal with, and yes I can go upwind but it's a constant struggle to get myself to the same place as mates who are more powered on Souls or LEIs and trucking upwind effortlessly. I was often finding I don't want to use the excellent drift of the kite to catch a wave because it's taken me so long to get upwind to the wave zone that I don't want to cash in unless the wave is perfect. So in the end I'm catching less waves and having less fun than I would on a kite which doesn't drift as well. From the sound of it, this problem has been fixed somewhat with the P5, which I don't have.

Return to “Foil Kites”