Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

FS Sonic 3 vs Ozone Chrono V4 11m

Postby jbrodin » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:37 pm

Have any of you tried both? Opinions. I have a 10 m Soul, but i want better upwind and performance, at the same time R1 or VMG is too high aspect. It is for foiling, snow kite and TT-boosting.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Re: FS Sonic 3 vs Ozone Chrono V4 11m

Postby Lamilu » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:57 pm

I have a V4 11
Would not have anythhing bigger
Goes upwind incredible
Is slow to turn compared to lower aspect
These users thanked the author Lamilu for the post:
jbrodin (Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:33 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:41 pm

I can't directly answer for you as I haven't flown both kites. But I know a couple of facts about each kite:
The Sonic 3 is higher aspect than the Chrono V4 and the Sonic 3 is slightly heavier than the Chrono V4.

I would say that the Sonic 3 will be slightly closer to a race kite and floater jumps than the Chrono V4.

I'd also guess that both are excellent kites and theyre very similar DNA so you cant go wrong with either

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:47 am

Sonic 3 has such amazing increase in lift when you pull in the bar. For a TT or strapped foil boosting the Sonic would easily be my choice. Flysurfer also drinks less so if you are a person who puts the kite in the water that would be on my mind. I've seen two Sonics now that needed tuning to prevent serious front-stall when brand new but the upside is the kite has options built in and its easy enough to do.

I'm flying V4 Chrono and specifically chose it for lighter weight with the goal of hydrofoiling in very light winds. I can still get good jumps with the Chrono but the experience is a bit more like a race kite with more speed and less lift. But I've only taken it on the twin tip as a curiosity because the hydrofoil has taken center stage unless the conditions are just perfect for twin tip on a smaller kite. I'm super happy with a mixed Chrono/Soul quiver.

Also, 10m Soul is an excellent light wind kite. If you are looking for better upwind angles that implies more power and flying the kite depowered. You might think about a 13m or 15m on shorter lines.

jbrodin
Medium Poster

Postby jbrodin » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:05 am

jakemoore wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:47 am
Sonic 3 has such amazing increase in lift when you pull in the bar. For a TT or strapped foil boosting the Sonic would easily be my choice. Flysurfer also drinks less so if you are a person who puts the kite in the water that would be on my mind. I've seen two Sonics now that needed tuning to prevent serious front-stall when brand new but the upside is the kite has options built in and its easy enough to do.

I'm flying V4 Chrono and specifically chose it for lighter weight with the goal of hydrofoiling in very light winds. I can still get good jumps with the Chrono but the experience is a bit more like a race kite with more speed and less lift. But I've only taken it on the twin tip as a curiosity because the hydrofoil has taken center stage unless the conditions are just perfect for twin tip on a smaller kite. I'm super happy with a mixed Chrono/Soul quiver.

Also, 10m Soul is an excellent light wind kite. If you are looking for better upwind angles that implies more power and flying the kite depowered. You might think about a 13m or 15m on shorter lines.
Thanks for the valuable input! I have had issues with FS and tuning, so I guess that is the main reason for considering a Chrono. Snowkiting recently I could observe that guys on Chronos, with similar sizes and line lenghts were getting significantly better upwind than me on my Soul.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:06 am

What size lines are you using? 10m soul flies amazing on 23m lines and shoots upwind.

jbrodin
Medium Poster

Postby jbrodin » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:06 am
What size lines are you using? 10m soul flies amazing on 23m lines and shoots upwind.
I used a variety of line lengths on the Soul and it had great upwind compared to LEIs, it was just when I had to compete against race foils I noticed that the upwind could be even better. I have a 11m Chrono now, but I have not really put it to work yet, so I'll see.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:44 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:57 pm
I have a V4 11
Would not have anythhing bigger
Goes upwind incredible
Is slow to turn compared to lower aspect
What is your riding style ? Hydrofoil?

Speed or boosting ?

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:00 am

I have raced (upwind then downwind and repeat) for a season on kites almost the same AR as Soul (Gin Spirit) and then the next season on kites almost the same AR as Sonic (Gin Instinct) and I have raced against Sonic3 several times. I can tell you for sure there is a height advantage upwind in the higher AR kites like Sonic3/instinct/chrono. Similarly when you don't want to gun upwind the lower AR is better IMO as it sits slightly (only slightly) further back in the window. I have also flown Sonic3 and other versions of Chrono and R1 and I think you are right, if you don't want race kite hassles (and they are for sure a hassle in many ways) but want the upwind/downwind angle performance then these high AR well-behaved kites are the go. And they are probably all similar performance for what you are doing so Sonic3, ChronoV4 or Gin Instinct all will be awesome for what you want to do.

RE the size, keep in mind that a kite that goes further around the window can also handle more power, even moreso with short lines. I'd get a 11,12 or 13m and you'll find that when you are a bit overpowered you can just sheet out more and head more upwind and hold the power down. For me I can hold the Instinct 12m up to over 25kn but I am 115kg and on very small area hydrofoil (levitaz R5) and using 12m race lines.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:00 am

darippah wrote: