Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:01 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:21 am
I like the feel of it in the air and the hangtime is amazing. I can do foot outs just a couple feet off the surface. I can’t do that with the 10m soul as will hit the water before I had time to get the board back in my foot.
It has potential I just need to sort this tip folding out. Since song the mixer it made it a little bit worse. I didn’t mark it before doing it though so still not sure which way to move b and c to make it better.
I would start this way...
-Start with a bar test, I always do this when I do a bridle check because it's so easy and fast to check and no reason to have a tuned bridle if the bar is bad.
-Mark your knots. Do a short mixer test first. Get all the knots straight. Make sure to put the proper pressure on the lines when you measure. After the short mixer test is done, do a long mixer test but don't adjust anything, just take note of anything that is off.
-Go fly your kite. Really fly it(turn hard, drift it without line tension, fully power it, etc). Notice any changes, better or worse and I'd write them down. If the wing tips stop curling, Id just leave it as is.
-If the kite is the same(unlikely) or worse, now do the long mixer test. Again mark your knots! Once the long mixer is done, once again take note of the short mixer and go fly your kite. Once again see if there's improvements or it flies worse.

Now you can sit down and try to figure somethings out. You can see how your kite reacts to changes in the bridle. Unless the kite has a lot of hours, most likley you are only adjusting B and C since those are what tend to move.

If by doing both of these, the kite still hasn't improved, here are some starting points to fixing it. First off measure your bridle lines. You don't have to do all of them, I would just start at the wing tips and work your way in. I'm sure you'll find the culprit. Adjust as necessary. IF you don't feel like messing with bridle lines you can try shortening B and C. Do it a cm at a time. I would just shorten C as B will also shorten at the same time. Shorten it by a cm, go fly and notice the different, and do more/less as needed. The old SonicFR's had a bad wing tip curling issue that this fixed.

Lastly, reach out to your local FS dealer. They are helpful people and I'm sure would help talk you through this problem. Did you buy this kite new? If not have you checked that the PMA's haven't been messed with in the kite? I don't have any experience adjusting PMA's but perhaps someone else on here or your dealer can point you in the right direction with those. They are by design to help correct behavior on the kite you can no longer correct for through bridle adjustments.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m

Postby Ice101 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:25 am

Bought the kite from FLYSURFER uk. It doesn’t seem to have many hours on it. I did the short mixer it was a little out. Then did the long mixer straight after. It was perfect after doing the short mixer. I stupidly didn’t mark it before adjusting and don’t know which way I adjust the lines now. But that’s a good advice what you written thank you. Will have a better look. Still not been able to find the pmas to check those. I was fishing around in the air intakes the other day. Lots of material on there though so you have to be very careful not to tear or dislodge anything and didn’t find the pma lines.
I will have a look at measuring out the bridle. Has to be something obvious by the way it folds. Bending badly at the third stripe on the wingtip canopy left side as you look up at in the air.

Return to “Foil Kites”