Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Around Oslo, Norway
Gear: Machine, Chrono, Peak
TT and RL-boards orca foil set-up
Brand Affiliation: None

Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m

Postby jbrodin » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:54 pm

I am considering getting a Sonic 3 11m, but I have been told that the 11m has particular problems with folding wingtips. Any experience?

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Re: Flysurfer Sonic 3 11m

Postby joriws » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:51 am

I've not had any problems but my Sonic is quite new and lightly used as hydrofoil ultra-light-wind kite and snowkite. I use Peak4 5m a lot and Sonic only after Peak does not provide the impulse.

If tips curl in direct flight that would be a problem of tuning. If on turn the outside turn tip tucks it could happen but it is not dangerous. I have not observed outside tucking on my flying but I am not looking at the kite but the line.

About outside tip, every kite's design is done that fabric loosens. If fabric kept tight it would generate more lift than inside turn tip because higher angle speed and lift means drag which means kite would oppose turning. Thats why on leis you see and hear flapping on fastest turns and you don't consider that a problem.

On Flysurfer if tip closes a bit it opens and provides power immediately you get backline tension to the tip. If it is bad which is more like a collapse - instead of tip loosing tension it folds and folds backwards generating drag which is felt on the bar too and is harder to open then it should be PMA adjusted or send it back to Flysurfer during 12 month free repair warranty. I think Sonic3 is part of that program, earlier Sonics were not. I apologize if I am wrong about Sonic3's free repair program, check FS web site.
These users thanked the author joriws for the post:
jbrodin (Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Gestalt
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 186lbs
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay - Turks & Caicos
Style: Wave, Freeride, Foil & Big Air
Gear: 8m & 10m OR Aluula Roam
9m XR7
12m Evo Dlab
12m & 15m FS Sonic 4
TT: Boardschmiede 135x40
Foil: North Sonar 1150cm2

Postby Gestalt » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:13 am

I have a bit of experience with the Sonic 3 11m, and the 15m as well. Also had a speed 3 15m before those.
Sonics do require you to maintain line tension with the bar to keep the kites from folding at the tips, but I think this is true for most race style foil kites.

On the Sonic 3 11m specifically I only have the issue if there is a sudden lull in the wind, or tension is not evenly distributed across the kite.
You can see it happen for me here at the bottom of a dive where there was a sudden lull plus a vertical wind gradient differential. About 5seconds after the saved mark (4:22 you see the bottom wing tip fold for a moment):

This really only happens under more "unusual" circumstances and as you can see from my video, 98% of the time it's not an issue.
Personally I love the kite, and probably the one in my quiver I fly the most and would recommend it!
These users thanked the author Gestalt for the post:
jbrodin (Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:08 am

Gestalt wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:13 am
You can see it happen for me here at the bottom of a dive where there was a sudden lull plus a vertical wind gradient differential. About 5seconds after the saved mark (4:22 you see the bottom wing tip fold for a moment):

This really only happens under more "unusual" circumstances and as you can see from my video, 98% of the time it's not an issue.
This is exactly the case I was also describing from a bit different kite steering point loosing lift outside turn. Outside turn wing tip. Looser backlines on outside of the turn, wing tip could be outside of apparent wind window and very low AoA due to WW edge breach.

Also for OP, kite can be also inertia flown to outside of apparent wind window. From there kite enters drift mode. Usually you were diving then turning kite upwards. On that situation the wing tip could fold even more than on the above video, but that is not a problem of a kite, wait it to drift back or carve upwind with board. And adjust your (and 'who told you problems about folds') kite flying technique for better & earlier turns of kite.

Sonic3 11m is just so dynamic kite and timing errors of the flyer might be interpreted kite's fault.

*edit* try to enhance explanation with a pic, AWW = apparent wind window aka rotated wind window by rider (anchor point) movement against true wind.
loose_lines.png
loose_lines.png (12.34 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
These users thanked the author joriws for the post (total 2):
Gestalt (Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:56 pm) • jbrodin (Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:57 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:01 am

I don’t have Sonics but I don’t recall anybody posting a problem with a particular size.

As above I think it is just a characteristic of this type of kite and you learn to fly it accordingly. Just to complicate the explanation, for a rotating kite the AoA and strength of the apparent wind is going to be different along the kite due to the angular velocity, which means the window will, arguably, not be the same for each tip. Plus the high aspect means wind gradient will have more effect than for low aspect of the same area.

Might be worth noting that if you are looking at secondhand, porosity in the material will make a kite more susceptible to curling tips imho. Cloth and seams.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:54 pm

I am having a little issue with a new 13m sonic 3 I just bought with the left tip folding in turns and occasionally getting stuck on bridal. Only happens on left side. Just done long and short mixer and all in order in fact seems to have made it very slightly worse since doing them.
I need to contact Armin see if he had any good advice.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Ice101 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:54 pm
I am having a little issue with a new 13m sonic 3 I just bought with the left tip folding in turns and occasionally getting stuck on bridal. Only happens on left side. Just done long and short mixer and all in order in fact seems to have made it very slightly worse since doing them.
I need to contact Armin see if he had any good advice.
If the mixer tests show it good but she's still turning like that, time to get the measuring out and start measuring lines. Line plans on FS website, start with the side that is curling. You could also try to take some video of it up close while flying to see if you can notice any irregularities in the bridle.

When is it doing this? Powered up, depowered, etc? If I remember correctly, shortening C and B about 1-2 cm(b half that) helps with wing tip curling. Remember to ALWAYS mark your knots before you move them on the mixer so if you do make it worse you can easily go back to the way it was.

Raynski
Medium Poster
Gear: Ventum

Postby Raynski » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:29 pm

Hated the sonic, went back to the soul real quick

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:21 am

I like the feel of it in the air and the hangtime is amazing. I can do foot outs just a couple feet off the surface. I can’t do that with the 10m soul as will hit the water before I had time to get the board back in my foot.
It has potential I just need to sort this tip folding out. Since song the mixer it made it a little bit worse. I didn’t mark it before doing it though so still not sure which way to move b and c to make it better.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:22 am

When I had a go on sonic3 11m the wingtips kept folding and getting cought in bridle all the time when drifting a bit or depowering quickly. People who fly it a lot dont seem to have that problem so it seems to be something to learn.
Gin spirit felt similar and didnt have that problem.

Return to “Foil Kites”