Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

the Hawk from Pansh

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: the Hawk from Pansh

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:22 am

Picture of this little rope :
IMG_20220811_092704.jpg
A more nice way to do it is to simply insert a stopper (like a pearl with a hole in the center) along the sliding rope that goes through this pulley, between the pulley and the C bridle side ; if the stoper is close to C bridle connection, mixer is unchanged, like original, if you slide it toward the pulley it becomes standard (less bar pressure + less agile).

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:50 am

Hi,

I read "everywere", even from Funalex himself, the Hawk is not good in low end... And the "large" sizes may be worse...

In my experience that is NOT TRUE at all. The wind range is MASSIVE. I have 5m, 8m and 12m. I use the 12m on Kitebuggy from ~5 knots, on foil from ~7 knots and TwinTip from ~10 knots. And the High end is really high, too, guess up to 20 knots, but so far I mainly used it in low end - but was very happy how the kite manages high gusts, the kite will cope with high wind and gusts extremely well. When you depower it looses power VERY well and fast AND stays exactly at the same spot. Hawk will never overshoot in gusty condition, it will always relaunch, really mich better than Soul, which will often drop down at the edge and trangle tips etc. which makes it unlaunchable. IN BAD WIND!!! Soul is great in godd, laminar wind, but not in gusty/turbulent wind. That's were the Hawk shines.

The kite is not performance oriented, but FUN and very easy to fly in difficult conditions.

I don't understand why it is compared to Soul so often!? Soul is really very different. Not only in shape/construction/looks but also in use: Soul has better performance, for sure. But it is a lot more difficult to handle in turbulent/gusty conditions.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:00 am

I've tried the 8 and 4 a few times. I was surprised that relaunch was a bit tricky actually. They both twisted on me a few times when falling in a lull, and on one occasion I had to swim in with the 8. In the 6 years I flew a speed3 I never had to do that. I normally fly peaks and don't have to swim.

I can believe that the range should be big, and I think that they are amazing kites for the money. Anyone else noticing tendency to get twisted on the water or did I just get unlucky?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:12 am

merl wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:00 am
Anyone else noticing tendency to get twisted on the water or did I just get unlucky?
Indeed it has a tendency to fold in two sometimes on the water, so I visualise your point ; it always came back in a good relaunch shape in my case (8m in 15-20 knots);

However this kite has an impressive agility, depower, comfortable in wind variation , easiness , fun overall ; so price vs quality is excellent, even if not everything is excellent (like relaunch and stability in high turbulences)
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
merl (Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:04 pm

In last 2 seshs Soul 10 v2 bow tied twice for me.
So there u go...

Somehow LE catch the wind easier than v1.
Front stall that is. Might not be tuned but hey ;)
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
merl (Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m

Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:39 am

True, it often fold in half and does crazy things on relaunch like inversion and starting up backwards/inversed which I never had with other kites. BUT so far I was ALWAYS able to relaunch. Most of the time it resets by itself, even after inversion! You drop it and it will spring back to shape first time I was shocked, now I know it does it and can resolve it very quickly. Very different higher AR kites like Sonic or Soul, when those tangle up bad you have to swim.

I have this strange relaunch situation mostly with the 12m. The smaller the kite the easier the relaunch is. But with smaller kites comes higher wind, so that is to be expected.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 am

I am thinking about buying a 4m. Any feedback ? Wind range on snow and foil ?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:39 am

I had a couple of good foiling sessions with the 4. It is less powerful than the peak 4 / firefly 4 (I used it when the firefly 4 was feeling a bit big - over 20 knots but I am 90kg+)

It is very stable, OK bar pressure (better than CA wave) and flies very well (I adjusted B 1cm according to Alex's recommendation and that perfectly eliminated the initial backstall tendency that it had). Not as crazy-gust-proof as single skins (had one mad gust when it fell down) but I expect the top end should be very good indeed - I did not get near to testing it.

I've only flown mine 3-4 times so no massive test. In fact I was planning to sell it (I have just bought a small firefly to go with my 4m), so make me an offer.

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m

Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m

Postby Smeagle » Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:56 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 8:27 am
I am thinking about buying a 4m. Any feedback ? Wind range on snow and foil ?
I have a 5m and I love it for very bad/gusty wind. Sorry, I did not use it very often, so I can't give you a "solid" wind range. In 25knots on Landboard it worked fine. 30knots on Landboard was a little too much, but should still be fine on water. I can fly it stable at 5..6 knots, but of course not enough power... But I want to try it in low wind with ice skates, should be fun, too. "They say" Hawk is bad in low end... But I am not sure about that, I am happy how responsive it still is in low wind compared to a tube or Genesis.

The 12m I use often and it has a really great wind range. With TwinTip close to my Tube 12m, ~13knots...20knots is optimal, can go higher for sure, but don't like to ride overpowered. With foil I can use the 12m from ~7 knots. At ~5..6 knots I can still relaunch and ride, but it is hard to get started. But I am Beginner in kitefoil.

Be sure to check the shop, at the moment you can buy 4m + 6m together at half price, so both together cost like one 5m ;)

gwicke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bellingham, WA, USA
Gear: Mostly race gear. Foil kites.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gwicke » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:33 pm

Recently got a Hawk 6m for strong / gusty conditions. First impressions are quite good. Very stable, turns fast, and generates decent pull through the turns which helps getting going when underpowered. No race kite of course. The bridle could definitely use some cleanup / thinning. Fully sheathed bridles throughout, even for the TE. The adjuster loops in the speed system are a nice touch, but look a lot more draggy than a single line with adjustable splice.

One production / design issue I found though is that the drainage channels at the trailing edge were closed in several cells closer to the tips. The tip drains themselves were also smaller than what Flysurfer for example uses. While it is relatively easy to open up those cells near the trailing edge (I just cut them with scissors), I think this is really something Pansh should fix. /cc @funalex

Return to “Foil Kites”