Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Hyperlink collapses and fills with water

Postby wavy navy » Mon May 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Hi,
I thought I find information easily about it, but I did not:

When the Hyperlink lies on the water leading edge down, maybe tangled or not enough wind to immediately reverse relaunch: What should I do?

Do you have any links to user experiences for recovering from a crash? I found some general videos on YouTube but ot specially about what to do with a hyperlink...

Thanks!

I found out that this kite causes big problems if I have a frontstall while a failed tack...

I'm new to foilkites and the first session was swimming through the bay 2 times and then I had a mess at the beach;)

If the Hyperlink is full of water and I cannot get it onto the beach because it is too heavy: where should I open it? The velcro at the tips?

Thanks a lot!

PabloQ
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Quilmes Buenos Aires
Favorite Beaches: Cauipe, Cumbuco, Cofeco
Style: AirStyle Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, Psycho4, Ocean Rodeo Razor Rise, Naish Park, Vari Condor 2, Slingshot Turbo 3

Re: Hyperlink collapses and fills with water

Postby PabloQ » Mon May 23, 2022 3:52 pm

Hello... have you tried pulling the two rear lines? that makes it take off in reverse... yes, as soon as it takes off, release the lines or you can lose a finger
These users thanked the author PabloQ for the post:
wavy navy (Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Bag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 86
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Hyperlink, peak4, sonic3
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bag » Mon May 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Every now and then chasing 4ms sessions in inland lake ends up in your described scenario. While Hyperlinks are very good at dribking the water they also release it’s content quite well. Just unzip all all zippers in air intake channels and one in the back. Bend kite in half and roll it up from the wingtips. Water escapes without too much resistance.
These users thanked the author Bag for the post:
wavy navy (Mon May 23, 2022 10:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm

I went to the Foil kite forum here , under search this forum, and typed in :
Hyperlink relaunch in water

I got 135 matches ; so you should start doing some reading ; more than
likely, your question has already bin answered .

Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post (total 2):
wavy navy (Mon May 23, 2022 10:16 pm) • Jyoder (Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot

Postby wavy navy » Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 pm

@Bille: I did! Found nothing specific about my questions at fist look. I will search deeper!

Thanks to all, that helps!

@Bag: Sorry for stupid question: Do you do this on water or at the beach?

@Pablo: I used a standard bar because I thought I'm used to reverse relaunch from inflatables. Didn't know I have to be very quick!

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon May 23, 2022 11:50 pm

wavy navy wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 pm
@Bille: I did! Found nothing specific about my questions at fist look. I will search deeper!

So i did another search , for :
Not enough wind to reverse launch ; and found this to be helpful :

sea anchor!
viewtopic.php?f=197&t=2403242&p=1057592 ... h#p1057592
Macster wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:58 pm
I practised shallow water rescue a couple of times and deep water once. When the day came that I had to do it for real offshore it was a cinche.

Carrying a little ruck sack to put the rolled up kite into is a good idea like in the first video but I just used my harness to clamp the kite.

I agree that it's a tough call knowing when to pack up or persevere. My main decider is the kite position on the water. If the vents are pointing up and theres a couple of knots of wind to keep the kite half out of the water, I will wait. If its twisted, face down, strong current with the wind etc, I'll pack up.
Macster wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:05 pm
Slight high jack... what is the best technique to get a foil kite pointing upwards again when the wind is too light to reverse launch nor enough to pull one steering line and get a wingtip up and rotating?

I'm talking less than 7-8 knots, bit of current in the direction of the wind I.e. without back paddling on your foil board you would struggle to relaunch the kite in a normal hot launch position....

This is my worst scenario and attempts to yank and reverse launch just scoop water into the vents...
ALL my experience with ram-air kites , are with PL models ; learned
on them in 2003. Now I'm using more modern kites with different bridals
that look like my Paraglider , and need to Re-learn, the same as you !! :(

What you might want to question first is how to keep the
kite from crashing, in the first place ?

Bille

Bag
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 86
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Hyperlink, peak4, sonic3

Postby Bag » Tue May 24, 2022 11:01 am

wavy navy wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:23 pm
@Bag: Sorry for stupid question: Do you do this on water or at the beach?
Thankfully I had just few occasions when kite was filled with water and only one of them was in deep water.
It is totally doable if you have floating west or relatively high volume board to sit on, otherwise adventure can end up horribly.
Usually if there is at least 8 knots(enough to fly, but not for reverse relaunching) of wind I just sit on the board, pull the kite to me using one line, flip it around to be nose up and let it drift downwind. Padding backwards speeds up the process. 9 out of 10 times lines are not getting tangled nor catches hydrofoil. I always let all lines floating/drowning in one side of me while sitting calm on the board. Mesing around with feets can be very dangerous.
But when it comes to inverted lines, this is always a lottery. In low wind while kite is still inflating and draining the water you have enough time to undo crossed lines by detaching bar and pass the bar between center lines.

I would never do anything i wrote above in wind that is sufficient to ride twintip.

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Tue May 24, 2022 11:13 am

You may already know this, but if the kite is leading edge down have as little tension on the front lines as possible. If you pull on them you will force water into the kite through the vents.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Wavy Navy,
Pushing the light wind limits on a foil can end up with them down and unable to relaunch. If you feel that you are not going to be able to relaunch the kite then doing a self rescue is advised to minimize the amount of water will fill inside the foil. Sit on your foil board if possible, then flag out kite, and start wrapping up lines. Once to the kite you can start to roll up the kite slowly, trying to keep all the bridles inside as you wrap. If the kite starts to inflate while you roll up the kite, this is a good time to take a little breather, as you have slowed down the process of water filling the kite as the kite will sit above the water a little better. If for some reason your kite is full of water this can be a very challenging task getting the kite out of the water as the kite will be very heavy and more susceptible to being damaged if dragged onto the beach. If you don't have help to lift kite full of water safely out of water, then ensuring the velcro drain hole on wing tip is open and then lift kite over your should. Draining the water from the wingtip can be a very slow and exhausting process. My recommendation to avoid having your foil kite taking on lots of water when down, is to start the self rescue process sooner or the moment you realize that relaunching is very unlikely. Here is a video found on youtube with doing a foil self rescue...

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Tue May 24, 2022 1:13 pm

What model Hyperlink? Especially the v1 will suck up water pretty fast, but it is a downside to all ozone foilkites compared to other brands. But eventually all foilkites will fill up so start rolling it up as soon as possible and never drag it to shore by pulling on the lines!

Also make sure it is tuned correctly to prevent collapses. When aging the brake and C rows of the bridle shrink, making it more prone to a collapse.

Return to “Foil Kites”