For all foil kite riders
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hyperlink collapses and fills with water

Postby wavy navy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:38 am

Second and third session: This went out sooo much better. I could get the Hyperlink dry back to the beach, even when it collapsed at the zenith again. Just pulled the brakeline, swam aggressively into the wind, and this way I could save it. Thanks to all for your hints!

Koter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north sea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Airush F-one, Gong
Been thanked: 0

Postby Koter » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 am

This week I started flying a Hyperlink V1 12m (rarely used). I'm used to foiling with LEI kites, but want foil kites to give a try. After 5 minutes in let's say 8 knots I'm convinced that this is real good, the power delivery (much more) is sooooo smooth and precise, that I know these type of kite are here to stay for me.

After 30min of real fun the wind dropped with luls about 5 knots... It was very hard to keep the kite flying, at 12 overhead the kite collapsed several times and had to do some succesfull water relaunches.

My question is how do I prevent this collapsing (beside kiting in more wind ;-))

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:04 am

Koter wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:41 am
This week I started flying a Hyperlink V1 12m (rarely used). I'm used to foiling with LEI kites, but want foil kites to give a try. After 5 minutes in let's say 8 knots I'm convinced that this is real good, the power delivery (much more) is sooooo smooth and precise, that I know these type of kite are here to stay for me.

After 30min of real fun the wind dropped with luls about 5 knots... It was very hard to keep the kite flying, at 12 overhead the kite collapsed several times and had to do some succesfull water relaunches.

My question is how do I prevent this collapsing (beside kiting in more wind ;-))
You can stall it back into the window in order to put it in a more stable position. With stall I mean put enough tension on the backlines so that it starts moving backwards slowly. Be care full, when you release tension the kite will shoot forward and might end up overshooting, which is what you try to prevent.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
Koter (Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Koter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: north sea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ozone, Airush F-one, Gong
Been thanked: 0

Postby Koter » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:57 pm

Lederhozen, thank you, I will give that a try next time.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby IWB2 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:17 am

Koter, 5kts is very light and definitely pushing the lightwind limit. My points to add, would to be keep the kite moving, and keep a drop more line tension, by sheeting in the bar a touch, so the kite doesnt overshoot itself and collapse. Looping the kite in the gybes also would be recommended...again... keeping the kite moving.. Dont go to far from land.. when winds are so light, and be prepared for a swim in.
These users thanked the author IWB2 for the post:
Koter (Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:20 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”