Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Hyperlink collapses and fills with water

For all foil kite riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hyperlink collapses and fills with water

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 24, 2022 2:45 pm

Have you seen this? If its a bow tie it might be the only option? I've had some success with randomly pulling front and rear steering lines on my soul to untangle and relaunch but this has always been in 10 knots+ wind so not sure if it would work on the absolute low end

wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot

Postby wavy navy » Wed May 25, 2022 9:05 pm

A lot of hints. I own a V3. First thing I learned: Wind must be steady, no offshore unstable wind for a beginner! Next thing I learned: As a beginner choose your surfspot carefully! Don't go out too far, fully onshore with shallow water close to riding area is helpful. Since my first try I hadn't had this so I rode my strutless inflatable instead. Will give it a go soon again in much better conditions!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu May 26, 2022 9:18 am

Surprised you are having these problems with the V3. I gather the intakes were made longer for the V2 which made the problem of filling with water much less of an issue compared to the V1.

From personal experience with a V1 soul, I found that if there is enough wind to keep the kite's shape that I was better off pulling a single steering line (like with an LEI) unless the water was perfectly flat as even small chop would be enough to force a little water in whilst reverse launching. The advantage in pulling a single steering line is that it is easier to drain during the relaunch any moisture that does get in.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 am

As you are new to foils a general tip might help. In light wind don’t let the foil wonder off to the edge of the window sheeted out. Before it gets to the edge of the window get it sheeted in. If you don’t it will sit just outside the edge of the window and you will not have sufficient tension to control the kite with just bar movement. (Recovery requires a downloop if room or careful oversheeting with the top rear leader etc.)

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Postby wavy navy » Thu May 26, 2022 9:56 pm

@Herman: That was part of the learning process: keep it moving in light winds. I learned quickly that any stall will cause problems.

Right now I ride in gusty lake-conditions and I am happy that I use my inflatables as long I have not enough experience with relaunching the hyperlink...

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu May 26, 2022 11:05 pm

Keep it moving in light winds is standard and sound advice but my post is more about keeping it in the window. There is a subtle difference which you will begin to appreciate as you gain experience and master the use of backstall and the prevention of luffing. Being able to tune the kite and bar range for the conditions will all help. Having said all that quality of wind makes a huge difference and no amount of skill or gear design can completely compensate for rubbish wind.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri May 27, 2022 3:44 pm

I love my soul and will take it out in waves and kite as far out as I can swim back. For a foil it's incredibly easy to relaunch just pull both back lines and a foil will relaunch in wings that a tube kite won't even move in. However there is the dreaded bow tie. That usually means swimming. If the are big waves that means you full release and cross your fingers. If there aren't big waves get to the kite open the deflate hole and wrap it up. Do that before you swim and you'll never get water in the kite. I know there's advice about how to keep the kite from crashing but if you are doing spins upside down sometimes you'll crash the kite and have to swim. Packing up and swimming is not bad once you have practiced it.

wavy navy
Medium Poster

Postby wavy navy » Mon May 30, 2022 8:27 pm

At my very first try I thought: I am close to the beach, so I swim in first and then sort out the Hyperlink at the beach. Big mistake. Now I know better. Next time I will swim to the kite, open it, pack it, swim back and then start a new launch from the beach.
Also helpful: In very light wind I will try to swim to the Hyperlink and sort the lines on the water.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:32 pm

I can share my recent experience. I am not a great foil kiter guy at packing up my kite on the water. I had a tenancy just to pull it to shore or float with it, well recently that cost me some damage to my kite. I recommend to wrap your kite as soon as you can, A) it makes it easier to swim back to shore, B) in my recent experience, I said I will wait until I get to shore. What happen when I waited, the kite filled with water. Try pulling a foil kite full of water, not going to happen, even with three guys, and if you do, most likely your going to tear your fabric. So lesson learned on this day, I got to shore, and had some decent size waves, I am now standing waist high at shore, and kite is full of water. The kite could not be lifted, and the small crashing waves were just turning my kite like a washing machine. I was so frustrated, I could not pull to shore, eventually after 20 minutes another kiter came, and we spent at least 15 minutes, slowly, literally 6 inches at a time and lifting the kite, and drain the water, you have to go super slow. The result, three damaged areas on my nice new kite, from the rocks at shore and constant motion of the waves. So I have learned, wrap the kite out on the water, I still am trying to perfect this, very few master this, but so important.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue May 31, 2022 5:53 pm

I have never seen a kiter purposely practice water pack down, or even purposely practice relaunching, foil or LEI. Heck, I’ve never seen a kiter purposely practice activating their QR before launch. My guess is that this is the norm…

Return to “Foil Kites”