Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sonic 4

Postby airsail » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:44 pm

They had trouble improving the sonic 2 to get to the sonic 3, ended up dumbing down the Sonic Race to make it user friendly. It will be super hard to improve the Sonic 3, and Flysurfer only upgrades if there is a reason for it, not every year like other manufacturers.

Maybe a material upgrade if something is available.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:15 pm

Sonic 3 is an amazing kite. I only wish they made it in smaller sizes like the Soul. A 7m Sonic 4 would create the perfect two kite quiver with the 9m. Maybe they don’t scale smaller?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:11 am

TritonFoils wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:15 pm
Sonic 3 is an amazing kite. I only wish they made it in smaller sizes like the Soul. A 7m Sonic 4 would create the perfect two kite quiver with the 9m. Maybe they don’t scale smaller?
It is on their website FAQ:
Q: Why is there no smaller SONIC?
A: Due to safety, we strongly recommend our SOUL and STOKE ranges for strong winds (over 25 knots). Exceeding the wind ranges can lead to dangers.

I *guess* that due to the the high aspect the kite start to have stability issues in higher (potentially very gusty) winds which causes the kite to become unpredictable.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
TritonFoils (Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:17 am

Small sonics are probably ultra jerky in gusts.

There was supposed to be a singleskin hybrid for foiling coming. My guess is they bring that one out next. That should be a great combination with your monofoils in high wind, triton!

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:11 pm

Awesome fingers crossed. The sonic 3 is an amazing kite. Hard to see how they improve it. It gives you the feel of a race kite but without all the hassles. The water relaunch in terms of ease and duration of the kite on the water rivals the Souls. Name any other high aspect foil kite that even comes close to the Sonic in this regard. The 6m Soul will I guess be my higher wind foil kite and don’t get me wrong it’s a lot of fun but what to use for 25kts + days? I find the Peaks too grunty, too much bar pressure if user sized for the conditions and too flappy if oversized. Flysurfer needs a high wind option!

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:38 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:11 pm
Awesome fingers crossed. The sonic 3 is an amazing kite. Hard to see how they improve it. It gives you the feel of a race kite but without all the hassles. The water relaunch in terms of ease and duration of the kite on the water rivals the Souls. Name any other high aspect foil kite that even comes close to the Sonic in this regard. The 6m Soul will I guess be my higher wind foil kite and don’t get me wrong it’s a lot of fun but what to use for 25kts + days? I find the Peaks too grunty, too much bar pressure if user sized for the conditions and too flappy if oversized. Flysurfer needs a high wind option!
You should try the kitech frs. It comes in 6m and 4m.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:43 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
At 25kts I've taken my Soul1 15m out in. The Souls have a more controllable top end than the Sonics. I doubt we shall see the next gen Sonic for awhile. And smaller high aspect foils can be a bitch to handle and are harder to sew up correctly at the factory. If you look at the AR's of the Souls, it decreases with the smaller sizes.

I don't think we will see any new kite releasing this summer as it's a little late in the year for FS to do so(but with supply issues you never know.) I wouldn't expect to see anything else till this winter.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:36 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Peaks too grunty? I've used the Peak4 and now the Peak5 kites with all my hydrofoils including my Triton. If you pick the right size for the conditions you should have no problems with excess grunt or too much bar pressure.

If you haven't tried the new Peak5 range give them a go. I've found them to have more range, point a bit higher and they're no longer flappy unless you are way oversized & fully depowered. For 25knots plus you have the 2.5m Peak5 which is wickedly fun :D

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:06 pm

Thx. Dave!
We get big wind ranges in a lot of our sessions here on Lake Ontario.
The result is you either get the Peak underpowered and riding deeper than you want in the wind window or overpowered and flapping like a wounded seagull. :)
To the point, the Peaks have a much smaller sweet spot in my experience re: wind range where they truly shine than say the Soul or especially the Sonic 3.
Alas, like much of life, you get what you pay for. :)
Rudy

Return to “Foil Kites”