Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Single skin foil kite with closed cell LE V2

For all foil kite riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Single skin foil kite with closed cell LE V2

Postby fernmanus » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:01 am

Great concept, I look forward to trying this kite. I am curious if Gin has tried this concept out on higher aspect ratio kites? For example, I would love to see a Gin Spirit lose some weight, yet retain its rigidity and stability. Might not be possible, but it is good to dream…

Okkiteboarder
Medium Poster
Local Beach: I kite in Oklahoma at Lake Keystone, Hefner, and Eufaula Lake
Favorite Beaches: My favorite beaches are: Maui, Cozumel, St. Pete, and home in Oklahoma
Style: Kite Foil and Wingfoil
Gear: Flysurfer, Delta Foils, FOne, jAxis, and Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Okkiteboarder » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:17 am

Flysurfer is also releasing a single skin closed cell kite called “the hybrid”. Interesting play for those that strayed away from non water launching foil kites. Should be interesting.

vanart
Medium Poster

Postby vanart » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:39 am

Okkiteboarder wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:17 am
Flysurfer is also releasing a single skin closed cell kite called “the hybrid”. Interesting play for those that strayed away from non water launching foil kites. Should be interesting.
Where did you hear about it!?

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:26 am

I managed to try the MarabouV2 yesterday but there was almost no wind so I tried it on the beach. First impressions are good, it seems to have good power (it was only about 4-6kn). Stability is amazing just like most single skins and the handling is also good. Interestingly it has more attachments points on the canopy than the previous model so its has quite a strong structure and shape for a single/hybrid. The way it feels on the bar is almost like a tube kite in that when you sheet out it depowers, unlike many double-skin foil kites which can make more power when sheeted out. Per the video I also tested the drift by brisk walking under the kite whilst at 45 and it just sits there and drifts back, even in super light winds, i had trouble making the kite do anything other than stable flying. Will try it with a hydrofoil as soon as I get a chance but it seems to be a huge improvement over the MarabouV1 at this point, and the cloth is the same as Gin Instinct which is IMO the best foil kite cloth ever made (by Myunigjin Korea) its very durable and very fast/powerful and light.

In the video I am testing launch/relaunch and checking the power (me plus my Son is about 135kg load) in about 6kn, and also checking drift by slacking the lines and walking at the kite etc and all tests went great.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post (total 3):
noahsw (Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:09 pm) • Regis-de-giens (Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 am) • erwin703 (Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:37 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:45 am

RE the wind ranges, I agree take them with a grain of salt. Gin didn't want to publish any and are conservitive, I pushed for ranges and gave some suggestions but I am 115kg. I personally can ride an 8m single skin on hydroifoil from 8-10kn and for a 6m i reckon maybe 9kn but I ride a tiny pocket board and am big so others would get a 6m single skin down to less than 9 or 8kn but its so personal at that point and more about skill etc. From my first go on teh Marabou2 it seems similar power to the Gin Shaman single skin, I'll confirm that on the water soon, but I suspect after feeling the power, I'll be able to ride the 6m from about 9kn and the 12m from about 4-6kn with long lines. Like with small single-skins the small ones are the most suprising, the little 4m shaman is a beast and hopefully 4m marabou will have same incredible hidden power.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:26 pm

The Flysurfer Hybrid
Attachments
ED7D791A-645B-4AA0-BC37-6E458D34E490.jpeg
ED7D791A-645B-4AA0-BC37-6E458D34E490.jpeg (57.57 KiB) Viewed 2824 times
These users thanked the author airsail for the post (total 2):
Nelis (Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:43 pm) • flaps1111 (Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:03 am)
Rating: 6.06%

erwin703
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mentawai, Indonesia
Peru, Chicama
Gear: Mikeslab
Been thanked: 0

Postby erwin703 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:30 pm

We recently tested the 8M marabou V2 in 8-12kts wind conditions with a hydrofoil board at Belmont Shores in California. At first glance, the kite resembles an ordinary foilkite; spreads-out and launches very similarly. However, the flight characteristics was surprisingly very nimble but really stable, with minimal to no trailing edge flutter. This allowed the ability to easily and controllably downloop the kite during the waterstarts, gybing and tacking. Everyone hydrofoiling were on at least a 9M up to 13M that day, and the 8M Gin Marabou V2 was able to not only keep up, but stayed dry floating in the air without falling, unlike most kites which all fell in the water that late session.

Another surprising characteristic is its ability to pivot-turn without yanking the rider off the board, especially useful in the surf. Fortunately, the pull is very gradual and predictable (softer than a full foilkite or LEI), which will keep you flying for a longer period of time. However, the kite does not have the same up-lift as a full closed-cell foilkite, and prefers to be flown inside the wind-window.

Many other positive features were the stainless steel pulleys with a small gap to reduce sand/debris from entering and seizing the lines. Both the canopy material and bridles also seemed more durable, which may last many more seasons in comparison to a standard foilkite.

Overall, the Gin Marabou V2 is an impressive, easy-to-use foilkite, that would benefit an intermediate to advance kiter in the lightest wind conditions.
Attachments
MarabouV2.JPG
MarabouV2.JPG (19.11 KiB) Viewed 2572 times

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Is the price left out of the review on purpose?

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:36 pm

4m - US$1180
6m - US$1280
8m - US$1380
10m - US$1480
12m - US$1580

https://www.captainkirksusa.com/product ... e-landkite
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
erwin703 (Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mikesids
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pt Chev, Auckland
Favorite Beaches: Aitutaki lagoon, Cook Islands
Style: Foil, surf, speed, jumping, freestyle
Gear: F One Furtives / FS Souls for speed, Airush Ultra's for freeride foiling , Chrono UL for freerace foiling, Parks, Bandit and Union for all round, JShapes / Levitaz / Spitfire XLW foil, F One AC21 Speed boards, Groove Skate

Postby mikesids » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 am

@erwin703, thanks for your review- frustratingly little info around on what looks to be a great light wind foiling kite.

Can you comment on the power the Marabou has for water starting? You mentioned that it doesn’t have the same “up-lift” as a closed cell kite, I’m wondering if it has enough power to get you up on foil at its low end ( eg a 10m in 7/8 knots ). I had a 9m Gin Shaman that I had for light wind foiling but it’s lack of a sufficient power spike for low wind water starting eventually led to me selling it.

Thanks in advance.
These users thanked the author mikesids for the post:
erwin703 (Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:04 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”