Peru, Chicama
Gear: Mikeslab
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Single skin foil kite with closed cell LE V2

Postby erwin703 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:55 pm

mikesids wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 am
@erwin703, thanks for your review- frustratingly little info around on what looks to be a great light wind foiling kite.

Can you comment on the power the Marabou has for water starting? You mentioned that it doesn’t have the same “up-lift” as a closed cell kite, I’m wondering if it has enough power to get you up on foil at its low end ( eg a 10m in 7/8 knots ). I had a 9m Gin Shaman that I had for light wind foiling but it’s lack of a sufficient power spike for low wind water starting eventually led to me selling it.

Thanks in advance.
I have not yet tested the 10M MarabouV2, but the 8M V2 (with 20M+ lines) had enough power to water-start with a larger foilset above 1300cm2 (21-L board). I used 3 methods to successfully waterstart: 1) kite-downloop, 2) kite-backstall technique, 3) horizontal-surge. However, I sometimes needed to downloop the kite after a gybe or tack when I would erroneously outpace the kite with the faster hydrofoil in the light wind conditions. This kite definitely has the ease of an LEI when downlooping, but more controllable with a softer pull, rather than a sharp power tug. I agree that it would be much easier to water-start in 7/8 knots with a larger size kite (up to 12M for the V2) or a larger hydrofoil-wing.

This is a good video of the 12M Gin Marabou V1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTmRdE2-a_A
Last edited by erwin703 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erwin703
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Mentawai, Indonesia
Peru, Chicama
Gear: Mikeslab
Been thanked: 0

Postby erwin703 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:02 pm

airsail wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:26 pm
The Flysurfer Hybrid
the Flysurfer Hybrid looks almost like a copy of the Gin Marabou V2 (including the colors)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mcJ0sqEVSc
Last edited by erwin703 on Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:04 am

This video has some info about the Marabou from AWSI starting around the 1:25 mark:

These users thanked the author nate76 for the post:
erwin703 (Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:26 pm

I got to try my new Concept Air Firefly V3 9 metre yesterday in 7 to 10 knots on a large fresh water lake (based on a wind metre about a kilometer away, there were very few white caps at the windiest point). I was using a 1500 cm. foil on a large floaty foil board. I also have the 8 metre V2 that I can compare it to. The wind was very light near the water and stronger up higher. I was using 24 metre lines. The feel between the two kites in similar. If you liked the version 2 you will like the V3. Having said that I like the V3 better. It has slightly bigger power spike when diving it which is really nice in the light winds. If you sheet out while diving the kite it accelerates much more than the version 2. Sheeting in on the kite drops the kite back slightly and sheeting out it moves forward more like the regular foils. There was almost no flapping of the kite when depowered and it could not be felt at the bar unless I did a hard turn or sheeted out and turned hard upwind. It felt a bit more like regular foil kites. It still sits a little back in the wind window so it makes jibes easier in the light winds and I do not loose power because the kite is to far forward in the wind window. It felt very comfortable and easy to use. It stayed in the air easily when the wind dropped to low to get back up on the board. I have the regular cloth nothing extra light. I felt that it might turn a bit faster and travels through the air faster than the V2. I have no beach where I launched it and had to drift launch in waist deep water. I was able to start it easily in wind to low to get up on the board. Shortly after that the wind picked up a little. There is a definite amount of wind after which it is easy to get going. Overall I am very pleased with the kite.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
erwin703 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:48 am)

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:49 pm

gl wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:26 pm
I got to try my new Concept Air Firefly V3 9 metre yesterday in 7 to 10 knots on a large fresh water lake (based on a wind metre about a kilometer away, there were very few white caps at the windiest point). I was using a 1500 cm. foil on a large floaty foil board. I also have the 8 metre V2 that I can compare it to.
Why get a Firefly3 9m, when you had the V2 8m?

These hybrid kites have a weakness that I don’t like: relatively hard to self-land, because the inflated half will cause the kite to get blown by the wind right away. That’s how the Peaks have a big advantage here: just dump them on the ground and they will stay relatively put.

That’s also why I am quite skeptical about the new Flysurfer Hybrid as well. I choose safe and easy self-landing (must be done every time, unless someone is around) vs. relaunch when riding (almost never happens).

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:21 pm

These hybrid kites have a weakness that I don’t like: relatively hard to self-land, because the inflated half will cause the kite to get blown by the wind right away. That’s how the Peaks have a big advantage here: just dump them on the ground and they will stay relatively put.
The new Marabou is supposed to have a zippered intake valve that allows it to dump air quickly for snow/land use - it will be interesting to see if it helps with the problem you describe.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:24 pm

br44 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:49 pm

That’s also why I am quite skeptical about the new Flysurfer Hybrid as well. I choose safe and easy self-landing (must be done every time, unless someone is around) vs. relaunch when riding (almost never happens).
Look on the bright side, there will be heaps of secondhand Peak 4’s and 5’s available at dirt cheap prices as people change over. There just isn’t enough snow kiters to absorb all those secondhand kites so it will be a flooded market.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:17 pm

nate76 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:21 pm
The new Marabou is supposed to have a zippered intake valve that allows it to dump air quickly for snow/land use - it will be interesting to see if it helps with the problem you describe.
Probably yes: problem solved on snow and land. But, what do you do on water? Same thing - zipper open? If yes, then why not choose a single skin in the first place?

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:50 pm

I got the 9 because after talking to Ben it sounded like it had the the improvements that I would like and it did. Could I have gotten by with the 8, yes of course. Glad I bought it. I have no problem landing them alone on land and on water safely every time and I use them a lot.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:22 pm

br44 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:49 pm
gl wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:26 pm
I got to try my new Concept Air Firefly V3 9 metre yesterday in 7 to 10 knots on a large fresh water lake (based on a wind metre about a kilometer away, there were very few white caps at the windiest point). I was using a 1500 cm. foil on a large floaty foil board. I also have the 8 metre V2 that I can compare it to.
Why get a Firefly3 9m, when you had the V2 8m?

Backing it down will work as always :thumb:

If overpowered let it go to the safety.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
erwin703 (Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:50 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”