Favorite Beaches: north-east brazil, la ventana, cabarete
Style: ride hard, fast downwinders
Gear: enduros, 12m speed lotus, nobile split twintip 134/41
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

flysurfer quiver for twintip

Postby jdb999 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:24 am

hi everyone.

my current quiver for medium-ish wind destinations (e.g. huahin thailand) is a 12m flysurfer speed 4 (lotus) and a 10m enduro v1.

i ride a 134cm twintip (6 yr old nobile split), and weigh about 75kg.

i really like the 12m speed 4 when i’m kiting in place (not doing a downwinder) because the upwind performance is good and effortless. maybe i’m a bad kiter, but kiting in place with my enduro kites on my twintip is no fun for me: i tend to get sore quick.

also i’ve never had any problems what-so-ever with my 12m speed 4. launching has been super reliable, and it only touched the water once in close to 50 sessions.

so i’d like to replace the 10m enduro with a foil kite and hopefully get the same excellent upwind as with my 12m speed. i’m thinking maybe the sonic 3. would i be looking at a 9m?

i don’t think i would need the extra stability that the soul offers. but maybe the soul would be a better match for some other reason since i’m on a twin-tip. e.g. which kite launches better in higher winds the soul or the sonic? i prefill and bring up one corner first.

thanks for any advice,

jon

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: flysurfer quiver for twintip

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:54 am

You may want to consider the Soul over the Sonic. The Sonic kite sizes are 9 / 11 / 13 / 15 / 18 / 21 whereas the Soul sizes are 6 / 8 / 10 / 12 / 15 / 18 / 21. As the Sonic is a higher aspect ratio kite (6.6) a 9m may be too close to your 12m Speed 4 (5.8 aspect ratio). You may want to consider the Soul 8m (5.0 aspect ratio). The Soul relaunches very easily off the water. Others on this forum will probably have better experience with comparing the Sonic vs. Soul.

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am

The Soul 10 is the better choice :thumb: . It has a wide range and is very stable. The Sonic 9 is a great kite too but It requires a very good skill in "on off" and gusty wind conditions. Yes, the upwind angle is way better due to the higher AR but overall I suggest you the Soul 10 which can easily replace your Ozone Enduro and perfectly complete your kite foil quiver. Not to mention the Soul 10 m is one of the best kite for freeride kite foiling I've ever tried.

Cheers
Carlo
Attachments
vlcsnap-2022-08-06-10h26m31s736.jpg

jdb999
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: north-east brazil, la ventana, cabarete
Style: ride hard, fast downwinders
Gear: enduros, 12m speed lotus, nobile split twintip 134/41
Has thanked: 0

Postby jdb999 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:56 pm

my full travel quiver is actually 7,8,10 enduro with the 12 speed 4, with the 8m enduro my favorite kite when the conditions allow.

i usually kite in locations with solid wind, which pushes me to the sonic. and really i’d like to start emphasize kiting in place (good upwind) on my bigger kites: because when the wind is on the weak side the swell and the waves tend to be smaller and hence downwinders tend not to be epic.

on the other hand, probably the Soul would be a good middle ground meaning i’d still feel good about an impromptu solo downwinder.

so the 10m soul should be comparable upwind angle to my speed 4? is it going to be pulling a lot more than the 10m enduro, or just pulling in a better direction?

it would be best if i could try both the sonic and the soul out, but that doesn't seem like an option. its going hard to come to a final decision because the 10m enduro still has a lot of life and does 1/2 of what i want it to do.

thanks for help!
jon

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:27 pm

jdb999 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:56 pm
my full travel quiver is actually 7,8,10 enduro with the 12 speed 4, with the 8m enduro my favorite kite when the conditions allow.

i usually kite in locations with solid wind, which pushes me to the sonic. and really i’d like to start emphasize kiting in place (good upwind) on my bigger kites: because when the wind is on the weak side the swell and the waves tend to be smaller and hence downwinders tend not to be epic.

on the other hand, probably the Soul would be a good middle ground meaning i’d still feel good about an impromptu solo downwinder.

so the 10m soul should be comparable upwind angle to my speed 4? is it going to be pulling a lot more than the 10m enduro, or just pulling in a better direction?

it would be best if i could try both the sonic and the soul out, but that doesn't seem like an option. its going hard to come to a final decision because the 10m enduro still has a lot of life and does 1/2 of what i want it to do.

thanks for help!
jon
Yes, absolutely. The upwind angle is similar even if the Speed 4 has a higher AR. The Low End is way better than a same size LEI. Nevertheless if your are seeking for one of the best kite to go upwind with a TT board, than you should choose the Sonic 3 11 m. even if It has a lower static pull than the Soul 10 the wind range is comparable.

Cheers
Carlo

Return to “Foil Kites”