Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sonic3 9m unstable in low wind

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:37 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:35 pm
True, small race kites are not real for low wind, and require a lot of attention for use in low wind :D

8) Peter
I don't know about that. The smaller really high AR kites can be "wound up" to create more apparent wind and more power which can give you the ability to foil in much lower winds than you would expect with the small size. Needs really good skills and can't make much mistakes but it's possible. Unless I'm jumping, I like to fly the smallest kite possible so I've had lots of practice. Small high aspect foil kites are little rockets and so much fun to fly.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:28 pm

Agree fully with that - but for many riders, the small high AR flat profile (higher upper end better upwind angle when powered) kites are so difficult that they can not generate more power than kites with a more lifting profile in low wind - only if you are an expert and use fast wings (IMO and experience) and can use it to the max.

8) Peter

dontstoplearning
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0

Postby dontstoplearning » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:37 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
True, small race kites are not real for low wind, and require a lot of attention for use in low wind :D

8) Peter
I don't know about that. The smaller really high AR kites can be "wound up" to create more apparent wind and more power which can give you the ability to foil in much lower winds than you would expect with the small size. Needs really good skills and can't make much mistakes but it's possible. Unless I'm jumping, I like to fly the smallest kite possible so I've had lots of practice. Small high aspect foil kites are little rockets and so much fun to fly.
What line length do you use?
I tried 20m at first, then changed into 25m and it definitely gave me a wider range, specially on waterstart.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:42 pm

dontstoplearning wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:36 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:37 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:

8) Peter
What line length do you use?
I tried 20m at first, then changed into 25m and it definitely gave me a wider range, specially on waterstart.
Yea linger the better because it will have a longer arc to build up speed which creates more apparent wind which equals power. I usually rig my lines to wind speed but I don't ever go more than 25m.

dontstoplearning
Rare Poster
Gear: Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0

Postby dontstoplearning » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:14 am

I shared a moment yesterday with a Sonic3 13m foiler and it was definitely more stable than mine. Wind speed was barely 7 knots. I am really considering swapping my 9m into a 11m or even 13m. The other option should be Soul2 in 12m.
What do you think?

Return to “Foil Kites”