For all foil kite riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Hybrid from Flysurfer

Postby Flyboy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm

merl wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:46 am
This is relevant if you have to land solo in high winds without a helper of a catcher or a wind shadow. Sometimes you cannot avoid a tangle in those situations.
Basically, landing a Peak or Hybrid in a wind shadow - or very light wind - avoids most problems with tangling. If it lands on a windswept beach it's very easy for the kite to roll around and to fold into itself, resulting in tangles. Trying to undo those tangles on a windswept beach can be very annoying. I have adopted the practice of not messing around on the beach if I can possibly avoid it, taking the kite home and fixing any tangles in a windless environment, so that it's ready to go for the next session.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:35 pm
merl wrote:
This is relevant if you have to land solo in high winds without a helper of a catcher or a wind shadow. Sometimes you cannot avoid a tangle in those situations.
Basically, landing a Peak or Hybrid in a wind shadow - or very light wind - avoids most problems with tangling. If it lands on a windswept beach it's very easy for the kite to roll around and to fold into itself, resulting in tangles. Trying to undo those tangles on a windswept beach can be very annoying. I have adopted the practice of not messing around on the beach if I can possibly avoid it, taking the kite home and fixing any tangles in a windless environment, so that it's ready to go for the next session.
HUGE difference in landing a Peak vs the Hybrid. Hybrids bowling ball shape just won't allow it to lay on the beach nicely even when backstalled. It's pretty docile though so you could try attaching the bar to an anchor and let it sit on the edge of the window to walk up the lines kinda like an inflatable. Not something I've tried though but I think it could be possible. I might try it next time I'm out.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:34 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm
Flyboy wrote:
merl wrote:
HUGE difference in landing a Peak vs the Hybrid. Hybrids bowling ball shape just won't allow it to lay on the beach nicely even when backstalled. It's pretty docile though so you could try attaching the bar to an anchor and let it sit on the edge of the window to walk up the lines kinda like an inflatable. Not something I've tried though but I think it could be possible. I might try it next time I'm out.
Yeah, they are easy to self-land with an anchor. Almost the same as an LEI.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:16 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:00 pm
Flyboy wrote:
merl wrote:
You are correct. Both the Peak and Hybrid are able to be edge window landed with an anchor.

This is the only footage I have showing it I'm afraid.

https://fb.watch/qanXKWrXEc/?mibextid=Nif5oz

Return to “Foil Kites”