The Hybrid from Flysurfer

For all foil kite riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: "The Hybrid" from Flysurfer

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:27 pm

I also have the Connect2 bar.

The first thing I did after having had both the 5.5 and 7.5 in the air, was to shorten the rearlines 15 cm (just knots under the floaters, easy).

But I did the same on my Connect(1) bar and my Peak kites, and I have also shortened the rear lines a lot on each and every LEI kite I have had over the years.

This way I have a much more natural feel when carving and riding in general, and I can backstall when riding waves or relaunching.

Had no issues backing the Hybrid up, and didnt notice more flapping than the Peaks, and it turns quite fast but not the same "pinwheel" way, nope.
With default bar setup (which is set like most LEI kites are) I would not be able to back it, nor avoid flapping, I am sure, but have never ridden like that.

So a lot shorter rearlines for me, but as said, goes for all kites without exception for my liking.

I like the Connect2 bar having a frontline safety, instead of the 5th line I have removed on all Peak bars.
So IF in trouble, one can release - not sure if it works well on the Peaks (has anyone tried a frontline safety or is it a no go?), but works on the Hybrid - tried it.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
a99 (Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Yea I didn't mess that much with the bar since I was in a rush and plan to next time. 15cm seems quite extreme but I'll try it. That should help a lot on the turning issues and backstalling.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:51 pm

From that i have read seems Hybrid is far from we expected and what he hoped. Seems it is quite problematic kite, just one advantage is good relaunch from water. Maybe in version 2 FS will do better job, but due to high price i highly doubt if this kite will get popularity as Peak. For experienced riders Peak is much better choice regarding good price, drift, power, turn and etc. In other case UFO v2 with much much bigger range and also very light weight is definitely much better choice vs Hybrid. With UFO you much safer can feel in open sea water far from shore, plus much more power spikes on water start. 7 meter UFO goes from 8 knots till 30 knots! it weights just 1.6 kg! To cover such range you will need 3 Peaks what will be 2 times expensive than one UFO. I even not will speak about perfect UFO as small LEI turn, on Peak you still feel lag as in all double skin or single skin kites vs LEI control and turning precision ( i mean comparing relatively the same size kites, what means in nature LEI has much better control precision).

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:35 pm

a99 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:51 pm
From that i have read seems Hybrid is far from we expected and what he hoped. Seems it is quite problematic kite, just one advantage is good relaunch from water.
I don’t know if it is fair to call the hype problematic.
It is the friendliest, easiest kite to fly and if you have never tried a single skin before it will amaze you just like peak4 did when it came out. Plus the relaunch works great.
These users thanked the author lederhosen for the post:
plasma180 (Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:02 pm

a99 wrote:
From that i have read seems Hybrid is far from we expected and what he hoped. Seems it is quite problematic kite, just one advantage is good relaunch from water.
I would disagree with this. It's not problematic and I see more than one advantage even if it's not suited for my style(which is yet to be determined really). Like I said before, it seems like more of a park it and concentrate on the wave/your board which I can see as a huge advantage. It drifts extremely well and the very rounded profile makes relaunch super super easy. It does seem like FS purposely designed it somewhat dumb-downed with the very flat leading edge and it could have been more performance ordinated(I'm no kite designer so that opinion is pulled out of my ass) but FS has been known before to stay on the "safe side" of kite designs before. With a more streamlined profile and plastic battens going all the way to the trailing edge like the Peak5 I think I would like it more. Maybe that's in the plan for the Hybrid2.

What's disappointing is there's no information that I could find on the ability to change the kite characteristics with the rear knots. Not on the supplied safety book that comes with the kite(had to dig that out of the trash to double check) and on their website it's a small paragraph which you have to look for and isn't very detailed. I'll have to find some time to experiment on my own I guess to get it dialed in. The problem is I don't really have that much time to do so but I guess that's what needs to be done.

What it goes down to really is this kite is MUCH different than we are used to so of course there's gonna be push back. My only real complaint that I don't think I'll be able to tune out or adjust with the rear knots is the bar pressure. I guess I'm just used to lighter bars. Hopefully I get some time later this week for further testing.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
plasma180 (Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:12 pm) • a99 (Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:41 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:50 pm

I don't think its a bad or problematic kite... It's just very expensive and it did not evolve from Peak in the right direction (for my taste).

I wanted a Peak with water relaunch ability. Did not want lower AR kite for teaching kids ;)

plasma180
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Style: Hydrofoil / Twintip / Wave / Wing
Gear: too much stuff
Brand Affiliation: Duotone / Flysurfer / Ozone

Postby plasma180 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:59 pm

Oliver, as I have already written at OASE, try it first, then give your opinion

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:05 pm

plasma180 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:59 pm
Oliver, as I have already written at OASE, try it first, then give your opinion
I've seen enough reviews and videos ;) And the price is the biggest problem, won't change with experience I guess.

I think it is nice for wave or really to learn. But not for me and not for that price. This is no problem, it doesn't make the kite BAD. It's just not for me. That's what I wanted to say. It's always good to have more options.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:03 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:52 am
At first when I noticed this I also noticed that the butthole was partially opened and thought that was the reason.
Now I can’t get this term out of my mind. It will be real helpful when my wife is helping me lay out my Soul. “Honey, did you close the buttholes?”

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:06 pm

a99 wrote:
Seems it is quite problematic kite…
Odd, that hasn’t been my impression of the reviews at all. I’m excited to give it a try in Baja this winter. It is definitely different than some people expected and it is more expensive, but I would not call that problematic.

Return to “Foil Kites”