drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Re: "The Hybrid" from Flysurfer

Postby drsurf » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 am

And how was the 2.5m Hybrid in 25 + knots??

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:32 pm

drsurf wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:18 am
And how was the 2.5m Hybrid in 25 + knots??
Well the conditions were pretty technical so I got maybe 30 minutes or riding and like an hour or battling the current and surf. I drifted like 300 yards before I could even get deep enough to start. But from what I did ride, I liked it much more than the 7.5m. Able to do a nice long horizontal swoop for decent power to get me up on foil even with the current. I'm still figuring out the performance knots but I did adjust them between walks up the beach(tide was too much to stay upwind with the surf conditions). I did drop the kite slightly but was able to relaunch super quick so that's a big win. You can backstall it and spiral it without shortening the rear lines a lot and the bar pressure is definitely a lot better than the 7.5m. I still think the Peak5 2.5m has a stronger loop so it has the better bottom end range but so far, in the conditions I ride in, I think I'm gonna pick the Hybrid over the Peak5 in this size. Still in the air about the 7.5m but I'm leaning much more towards the Peak5 in that size.
lederhosen wrote: Could you pull one frontline to wedge it into this position like an LEI?

Also, have you tried releasing the kite on each side frontline and does it make a difference which side the safety is because the A bridles go cross?
I have not tried this but I will next time. I'm thinking it won't be the same since there's no real support in the leading edge like on an inflatable. Good questions about the safety, this is something I haven't tested yet and will next time I'm out. I'll report back.

Here's a little of what conditions I was out on the 2.5m. Safe to say it was a little "technical" and the tide was insane. That and being at the end of the jetties so I was getting opposite direction swell bouncing off the rocks made it quite fun on the hydrofoil. These are the conditions that really make me smile :-)
conditions.jpg
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:41 pm

Helo Jason, I get your smile in those conditions jaja. I am more interested in the high wind limit; also which kite would be best for the higher wind range (for you) in hidrofoil, the 6m Soul ot this 2.5m hibrid? I gues that for waves mabe the hibrid, but I wonder, for free ride or downwind runs alond the cost line? in mabe 30 to 35 knots?... for downwind with waves, I guess the hibrid, but to have a better upwind in free ride with 35 knots?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:14 pm

geron wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:41 pm
Helo Jason, I get your smile in those conditions jaja. I am more interested in the high wind limit; also which kite would be best for the higher wind range (for you) in hidrofoil, the 6m Soul ot this 2.5m hibrid? I gues that for waves mabe the hibrid, but I wonder, for free ride or downwind runs alond the cost line? in mabe 30 to 35 knots?... for downwind with waves, I guess the hibrid, but to have a better upwind in free ride with 35 knots?
Yea this is the only conditions that I will ride in without music. Don’t need it when everything around me is chaos lol.

I have not yet found the upper limit on the Hybrid 2.5m but that session was 25-30kts and it definitely felt like it had a lot more upper wind range left in it where the Soul 6 would be starting to feel overpowered(makes sense since it’s over twice as much kite). Having the choice between the two in conditions like these or more I would pick the hybrid. Plus the hybrid would be more playful and easier to throw around.

Soul would definitely have the upwind advantage while the hybrid would downwind. Plus something to consider is if you do drop the kite in conditions like these and it gets rolled/sunk in the waves, i much rather battle the 2.5 in the recovery over the 6. My quiver plan is Soul6m for around 15-25kts and Hybrid 2.5 for 25kts+. I’m still working on what I’ll use for the lower end but I’m currently leaning on the Peak5 for that.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 3):
geron (Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:24 pm) • nate76 (Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:44 am) • a99 (Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:02 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:35 pm

Thanks, I have the Hysper 6m (also a hybrid) for 12 to 23 knots (specially downwind), the Hysper 11m for low wind (a 14m Hysper would be good for extreme low wind) but are trying to find the high wind complement for hidrofoiling; maybe a combination of a 6m (or 4m) lei and the 2.5m hybrid from fs. I also have a Hiperlink 9m that use often because it has the best wind range.

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:42 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:14 pm
geron wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:41 pm
Yea this is the only conditions that I will ride in without music. Don’t need it when everything around me is chaos lol.

I have not yet found the upper limit on the Hybrid 2.5m but that session was 25-30kts and it definitely felt like it had a lot more upper wind range left in it where the Soul 6 would be starting to feel overpowered(makes sense since it’s over twice as much kite). Having the choice between the two in conditions like these or more I would pick the hybrid. Plus the hybrid would be more playful and easier to throw around.

Soul would definitely have the upwind advantage while the hybrid would downwind. Plus something to consider is if you do drop the kite in conditions like these and it gets rolled/sunk in the waves, i much rather battle the 2.5 in the recovery over the 6. My quiver plan is Soul6m for around 15-25kts and Hybrid 2.5 for 25kts+. I’m still working on what I’ll use for the lower end but I’m currently leaning on the Peak5 for that.

=Jason-
Hi Jason,thanks for all your reviews! I have a 2.5m question for you.

Background: I'm a dedicated Peak 4 rider, live in a windy place and when my 3m (on 12m lines) tops out (30knots) I go to a 2.8m Cloud. The Cloud is simply too heavy to ride the lines I can get on the Peak. I got a 2.5m Peak 5 but returned it due to a bridle issue (span lines too short at the wingtips and no satisfactory resolution), and I also wasn't a fan of the rib cutouts.

Question: How would you compare the top end of the 2.5m Hybrid compared to the 3m Peak 4? And any other comparisons of flying characteristics of those sizes? Happy to hear from anyone else who's flown both of these too.

Thanks,
Brendan

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:44 pm

djdojo wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:42 am
Hi Jason,thanks for all your reviews! I have a 2.5m question for you.

Background: I'm a dedicated Peak 4 rider, live in a windy place and when my 3m (on 12m lines) tops out (30knots) I go to a 2.8m Cloud. The Cloud is simply too heavy to ride the lines I can get on the Peak. I got a 2.5m Peak 5 but returned it due to a bridle issue (span lines too short at the wingtips and no satisfactory resolution), and I also wasn't a fan of the rib cutouts.

Question: How would you compare the top end of the 2.5m Hybrid compared to the 3m Peak 4? And any other comparisons of flying characteristics of those sizes? Happy to hear from anyone else who's flown both of these too.

Thanks,
Brendan
Now I haven't ridden my Peak4 3m in awhile so I'm going off of memory and how I compared it to the 2.5m Peak5(since I haven't done a Peak4/Hybrid back to back yet.) but the Hybrid will definitely have the higher top end. Hybrid won't backstall as easily and I would say maybe the Hybrid will flap a little bit more. It doesn't shoot forward in the wind window when you let off the bar like the Peaks do(which I miss) and the Hybrid will drift much better. It's gonna be a little "dumbed down" compared to the Peak4 but in those winds I think that's a good thing. The Hybrid won't sit on the beach as nicely as the Peak since it has some thickness to it while you can lay the peak pretty flat. If you have an anchor, the Hybrid will sit on it's side for landing better and I'm not sure if you saw my self land of the 2.5 Hybrid but it looks like there might be a neat trick to wedge the leading edge into the wind. I can't confirm that though because I've only done it twice and I would imagine more than 30+ kts it may not stay as nicely. Right now if I were to pick a super high wind out of the Peak or Hybrid, I'd go Hybrid.

=Jason-
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
djdojo (Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:08 am) • lederhosen (Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:54 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:04 am

Agree with Adventure Logs on all of above points, even though I only have the 5.5 and 7.5.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Adventure Logs (Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:39 pm)

wsrussell7
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Salt Lake City
Gear: 9m RPM, 12m NV, 15.5m Solo
Has thanked: 0

Postby wsrussell7 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:09 am

Just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the new hybrid. I have a 5m peak 5 and a 3.5m hybrid. The 3.5m hybrid is my new favorite kite, but I mainly foil in the ways ppl have mentioned it performs best. I like getting into waves, sheeting out the bar, and just focusing on my turns and riding the wave. The hybrid seems to perform better than the peak in this regard, but I'm also comparing a 3.5 to a 5m. I will be getting a 5.5m for a more direct comparison. When riding too hard downwind on a wave, the peak will occasionally collapse in on itself when it loses too much line tension. This is usually an easy recovery, but it's also when I drop the kite occasionally. The hybrid seems to hold it's shape much better due to the inflated leading edge. I'm sure it also helps that it's a 3.5m too though so I'll see in a few weeks when I get some time on the bigger size.

As ppl have mentioned, it does seem to have less grunt through the loops and when working the kite. I prefer this bc I can work the kite and loop it on the wave without getting pulled off it at all. So the low end isnt as good, but the 3.5m is fast enough to being able to work it and get going in anything 15-17mph+ish for me.

Tldr: If you like riding waves and doing downwinders, I think this might be the best kite on the market for it.
These users thanked the author wsrussell7 for the post:
djdojo (Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:37 am)

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:13 am

I wonder if FS Hybrid in 11.5m size makes sense at all?

Return to “Foil Kites”