The Hybrid from Flysurfer

For all foil kite riders
djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Re: "The Hybrid" from Flysurfer

Postby djdojo » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:32 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:47 am
My extensive review is coming soon.
Hi Jason, it would be great to see footage of you flying the 2.5s back-to-back on the beach if you're up for that, even if it's only lighter wind. It could show us a lot about the relative size of window, turning and luffing response, and stall/reverse flying behaviour, etc.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:44 am

For those who have now been flying both…which hybrid to cover the Peak5 4m range? I’m guessing the 3.5m may not quite be enough as you are all saying the hybrid has a little less grunt. If the 4m is the go-to size for someone, do they need the 5.5m?

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:04 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:44 am
For those who have now been flying both…which hybrid to cover the Peak5 4m range? I’m guessing the 3.5m may not quite be enough as you are all saying the hybrid has a little less grunt. If the 4m is the go-to size for someone, do they need the 5.5m?
I'm 67kg using 990 sq cm & 740sq cm foils and have the Peak5 4m and 3.5m Hybrid. I also have the 5m Peak5 but haven't used it this season as the wind has always been enough for the 4m Peak5. On really windy days over 20 knots I have been using the 2.5m Peak5.

The 4m Peak5 does have a little more grunt than the 3.5m Hybrid, the extra half metre of area matters on a small kite. However the 3.5m Hybrid has more top end, eating into the 2.5m territory. Bear in mind the Hybrid has a shorter bridle length than the Peak5 kites which slightly shortens the power stroke. Longer lines would minimise this difference.

I think for someone heavier than me, the 3.5m & 5.5m Hybrid combo would give you a wider wind range than 5m & 4m Peak5's. There is no downside to the Hybrid that I have experienced apart for the higher cost. They are simple to setup and launch, drift is maybe even better than the Peak due to the new bridles and 3D structure, turning is fast and smooth and they relaunch quickly with ease.

The 4m Peak5 is definitely a go to fun size and perhaps it's a shame Flysurfer did not make the Hybrid in the same size. However I think you would cover most of the 4m Peak5 wind range with the 3.5m Hybrid with a bit more control and fun at the top end :D

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:14 pm

djdojo wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:32 am
Adventure Logs wrote:
Hi Jason, it would be great to see footage of you flying the 2.5s back-to-back on the beach if you're up for that, even if it's only lighter wind. It could show us a lot about the relative size of window, turning and luffing response, and stall/reverse flying behaviour, etc.
That's going to be awhile now. I had a Paramotor crash a couple days ago and broke my femur. I'm going to be bed bound now for awhile.

Gerwinnaar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula 10m
North carve 3m, 5m, 7m 2022
Airush one 4m 2021

North comp 5’4 2020
North scoop 2021
Gong new Curve M
Gong new Curve S

Postby Gerwinnaar » Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:57 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:14 pm
djdojo wrote:
Adventure Logs wrote:
That's going to be awhile now. I had a Paramotor crash a couple days ago and broke my femur. I'm going to be bed bound now for awhile.
That’s some bad luck, I hope you recover well!
These users thanked the author Gerwinnaar for the post:
Adventure Logs (Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:06 am

All the best for your recovery Jason.
These users thanked the author djdojo for the post:

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby drsurf » Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:48 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:14 pm
djdojo wrote:
Adventure Logs wrote:
Ouch :( That's quite an important bone for nearly every fun thing.
Wishing you a fast recovery Jason.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom

Postby Strekke » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 pm

So to anyone riding Peak 4's, 5's, and Hybrids: if I want a kite that holds its shape better in absolute low end, and totally slack lines, while riding towards it hands-free on a wave, the Hybrid does the job significantly better than any Peak? I already find that my Peak5 6m holds its shape a bit better than my Peak4 5m, despite the fact that I use the 6m in lower winds, but both still often collapse on totally slack lines in their low end. I ride them on a big foil frontwing, in waves, only using the kite to get on the wave and then letting go of the bar and relying only on the power of the wave to keep flying. Very often, I get several seconds of totally slack lines and a sagging bar. It is at these moments that they often collapse/crumble into a little ball in low low winds and totally slack lines, sometimes leading to a swim in. So thinking of replacing my Peak4 5m with a Hybrid 5.5 (same low end?), but would want a significant improvement in drift/rigidity on slack lines for that price...

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster

Postby drsurf » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:02 pm

Strekke wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:22 pm
So to anyone riding Peak 4's, 5's, and Hybrids: if I want a kite that holds its shape better in absolute low end, and totally slack lines, while riding towards it hands-free on a wave, the Hybrid does the job significantly better than any Peak? I already find that my Peak5 6m holds its shape a bit better than my Peak4 5m, despite the fact that I use the 6m in lower winds, but both still often collapse on totally slack lines in their low end. I ride them on a big foil frontwing, in waves, only using the kite to get on the wave and then letting go of the bar and relying only on the power of the wave to keep flying. Very often, I get several seconds of totally slack lines and a sagging bar. It is at these moments that they often collapse/crumble into a little ball in low low winds and totally slack lines, sometimes leading to a swim in. So thinking of replacing my Peak4 5m with a Hybrid 5.5 (same low end?), but would want a significant improvement in drift/rigidity on slack lines for that price...
Hi Strekke.
In my experience with the 3.5m Hybrid the kite does hold its shape better than the Peak on slack lines. This stands to reason as the kite has a partially inflated structure which gives 3 dimensional rigidity to the kite as well as the kite being virtually the same weight as a comparable Peak.

I like to ride waves/chop/swell as you have stated, though usually on the smaller Peak/Hybrid kites, as we must have more wind and I'm 67kg. However it's still easy slack the lines and with practice control the kite to avoid a swim with a Peak. However the Hybrid gives me confidence to do silly things riding downwind waves 1km offshore as it relaunches quickly and easily :D

adiver
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: German coast
Favorite Beaches: Sylt
Gear: Duotone Neo SLS and Levitaz

Postby adiver » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:33 pm

Good evening,

I'm looking for some guidance regarding the windrange of the Flysurfer Hybrid because I read completely different information across different sources. I'm 80kg and ride a Levitaz Shaka S (1200). Right now, I have an Duotone Juice DLAB 13, Neo SLS in 9 and 7. The quiver is great for me in many situations but I'm looking to add some smaller kites and kites that can handle gusts (lake). I kited on the Soul 15 and 10 qm for many years and think the Hybrid would be a great match for me. What do you think would be a good addition to my quiver? For ultra light wind I really like the Juice but for everything let's say more than 10 or 12 knots I'm looking for smaller and agile kites (max. 25 knots).

Do you think with this profile it would make sense to have a 7,5 and a 3,5 or better 5,5 and 3,5? Many thanks for your input!
Adrian

Return to “Foil Kites”