Re: The Hybrid from Flysurfer

Postby Gerwinnaar » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:18 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:44 am
Slappysan wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:59 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:26 pm
So when do you change to the 4 and 3/2.5 if you ride your 5 m2 to 20 knots?
I don't own any smaller Peaks as if it's proper windy I just swap to LEI and surfboard. I might pick up a 4m though at some point, but right now if I think it's going to be 14+ knots I'm not foiling. The times I end up in 20 knots on the 5m are when the wind picks up.
Where I’m riding there is barely anyone out below 14kts because it is considered a down day! (That’s only a slight exaggeration.) If you don’t foil in except for very light winds you’d never be foiling.

After another good run of days in Baja earlier this month the 3.5m Hybrid remains my favorite all around kite. The range is great, I’d say 14-30kts, and the drift is unbeatable. The relaunching is really the icing on the cake because it gives me a lot more freedom to play around and do things and know I’m very unlikely to be swimming home.
The upper range was great for me @95kg but I needed 20knots at the low end and I didn’t like that. My goal was to replace the 4m peak5 but the I should have bought a 5.5m, but I sold it and continue wil LEI.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:55 pm

Gerwinnaar wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:18 am
IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:44 am
Slappysan wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:59 pm

I don't own any smaller Peaks as if it's proper windy I just swap to LEI and surfboard. I might pick up a 4m though at some point, but right now if I think it's going to be 14+ knots I'm not foiling. The times I end up in 20 knots on the 5m are when the wind picks up.
Where I’m riding there is barely anyone out below 14kts because it is considered a down day! (That’s only a slight exaggeration.) If you don’t foil in except for very light winds you’d never be foiling.

After another good run of days in Baja earlier this month the 3.5m Hybrid remains my favorite all around kite. The range is great, I’d say 14-30kts, and the drift is unbeatable. The relaunching is really the icing on the cake because it gives me a lot more freedom to play around and do things and know I’m very unlikely to be swimming home.
The upper range was great for me @95kg but I needed 20knots at the low end and I didn’t like that. My goal was to replace the 4m peak5 but the I should have bought a 5.5m, but I sold it and continue wil LEI.
I think low-wind range is really personal, but I’m glad you’ve found a path that makes you happy. I have no doubt the 3.5m Hybrid can be ridden by someone your weight well below 20kts, but you may like to ride with more power than I do or in different conditions than need more power or on a very different foil. I’ve been out on the same kite as my buddy who weighs 15kg less and he felt like he had no power trying to mow the lawn while I felt fine going upwind and surfing swell back downwind. Also possible your bar was not set up to optimize the power (I’ve found the steering lines need to be ~8cm shorter than the front lines).

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:34 am

I'm curious, with the increasing options for hybrid single skin kites, if there's a consensus on which is closest to a water relaunching peak (v4/v5). Off the top there's Firefly, Marabou, Alma and Hybrid. Anything come close to having a similar mix of drift/power spike in the loops? Wife is generally annoyed watching me kite in the ocean with a kite she knows doesn't guarantee a relaunch haha. Will probably transition the quiver over time if I can find something roughly equivalent.

From what I gather, Hybrid drifts better but significantly decreased power, Marabou has solid power but drifts worse...

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:12 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:55 pm
I think low-wind range is really personal, but I’m glad you’ve found a path that makes you happy. I have no doubt the 3.5m Hybrid can be ridden by someone your weight well below 20kts,
Kites that have a long and decent power surge when you loop them make them extremely easy for foiling. When you have a kite that gives less in the loop (like the hybrid) it takes a bit more experience and practice with the specific kite to get the most out of it. I found the first few sessions a bit frustrating with the 3.5 and 5.5 for that reason, but things steadily improved, although I can't point to any specific techniques. I'm in the same weight class as the person who said that they need 20kts to get going with the 3.5 and I can witness to the fact that I can easily ride in 16kts and 18 is definitely fun already. But there are lots of other factors like riding style, foil size etc.
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
Enclume (Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 am

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:34 am
I'm curious, with the increasing options for hybrid single skin kites, if there's a consensus on which is closest to a water relaunching peak (v4/v5). Off the top there's Firefly, Marabou, Alma and Hybrid. Anything come close to having a similar mix of drift/power spike in the loops? Wife is generally annoyed watching me kite in the ocean with a kite she knows doesn't guarantee a relaunch haha. Will probably transition the quiver over time if I can find something roughly equivalent.

From what I gather, Hybrid drifts better but significantly decreased power, Marabou has solid power but drifts worse...
It's very personal and depends from you riding style. I went from peaks to hybrid because if the relaunch.
Not the same kite, but I don't regret the change. Never missed the 'peak feeling'.
i'm flying my my hybrids on 25m lines, this gives them a bit more power. (23m in high wind)

Yes, hybrid has les 'oumpf' in the power strokes. But it's turning faster and more on itself (pivot).

I have more problems with the bridle lines from my hybrid, because they are so thin. My peak4 was much easier.
Also the launch is trickier with the hybrid. (but with some pre-inflation and practise it's getting better)

try do demo and you will see for yourself...
These users thanked the author nayy for the post (total 2):
Johnnyrotten204 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:33 pm) • Enclume (Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 am)
Rating: 6.06%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:52 pm

So far this southern hemisphere summer I've only used the 3.5m and 2.5m Hybrids. We do get decent and quite consistent seabreeze wind here and I am 67kg but technique is important too.
I've found that the Hybrid gets you out of the water best in light winds using a vigorous figure 8 rather than looping the kite. If the kite will get me out of the water then I can foil on a Moses/SABfoil W800 840 sq cm foil. This higher aspect foil is low drag/good glide and pumps well when underpowered.

If I measure 10 knots on the shore I can get going on the 3.5m and 14-15 knots and i'll rig the 2.5m. I don't have a problem getting upwind though a higher aspect kite could point a bit higher. I love the responsiveness of small kites and the drift when I ride waves downwind is fantastic. I don't go foiling to mow the lawn :D

I have only been caught out with insufficient wind once so far this season when I foiled out of the best wind zone, (our beach has section where the wind will usually be a knot or two stronger on a marginal day). Just had my kite pull me to shore where I quickly packed it up, walked 300m back to the windier section and got foiling again.

I've never had any problems with bridles when setting up the kite or packing away. In fact it's the speed and simplicity of using these kites which also has me hooked.

I do have a 4m and 5m Peak5 for really light winds but it hasn't been light enough this season :)
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post (total 2):
Johnnyrotten204 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:35 pm) • Enclume (Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:

You are pretty accurate...the hybrid has much less power. This can be somewhat fixed with LONG lines but then the docile handling becomes even less agile. Agility can be somewhat fixed by making the steering lines MUCH shorter(like 8-10cm shorter) but then the already high bar pressure is significantly increased. There's no fix to that. My shoulder will scream at me so much more after a session of riding the Hybrid 2.5m compared to a session on the Marabou2 8m.

The Marabou2 is basically the same profile as the Peak5(look below. That's the 6ms on top of each other and except for the wing tips, they are basically the SAME). I would say the Marabou2 and Peak5 drift very similar. If you just ride into the kite hard, both the Marabou2 and Peak5 have a tendency to lose shape starting at one wing tip. Keeping tension on the steering lines basically stops this completely and when it does act like this, it's still really easy to recover.

The Hybrid drifts easier but if you really push it, will also lose shape. Hybrid is harder to self land, and takes much longer to inflate. It doesn't really pivot turn(still it's so backstall prone) and it won't surge forward when you sheet out which I need constantly. To me the Hybrid is just is not a light wind kite where you need certain characteristics like being able to put it in the wind window where you want it and be able to turn it on a dime, backstall while you are riding into it, etc etc.

I would like to see more internal pressure on the Marabou3 next time around. No adjustable bridle and having a zipper on a kite are also cons to me but it is the closest to the Peak5 I've found and closest fit to my riding style. Try to get a demo or two in, you'll quickly see what will fit your style and what won't. I personally am at my point in progression that I don't want to have adapt to the kite, I want a kite that fits how I ride.
IMG_1953.jpeg
IMG_1954.jpeg
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 3):
Johnnyrotten204 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:35 pm) • a99 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:58 pm) • Enclume (Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:29 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:57 pm

Great detailed commentary guys. Makes sense- overlay of the Marabou/Peak 5 is very helpful- didn't realize the profile was so similar.

No options for me to Demo anytime soon, but I don't mind slow rolling my wife until I can figure out what the gameplan is lol.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm
Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
You are pretty accurate...the hybrid has much less power. This can be somewhat fixed with LONG lines but then the docile handling becomes even less agile. Agility can be somewhat fixed by making the steering lines MUCH shorter(like 8-10cm shorter) but then the already high bar pressure is significantly increased. There's no fix to that. My shoulder will scream at me so much more after a session of riding the Hybrid 2.5m compared to a session on the Marabou2 8m.
Thank you Adventure Logs for your all reviews and comments on kites, also for those old Flysurfer sonic reviews, most detailed and professional at that time and also now.
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
Adventure Logs (Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:47 pm)

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:50 pm

a99 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:48 pm
Adventure Logs wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:10 pm
Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Thank you Adventure Logs for your all reviews and comments on kites, also for those old Flysurfer sonic reviews, most detailed and professional at that time and also now.
Thank you, that really means a lot to me!
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:32 pm)

Return to “Foil Kites”