Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The Hybrid from Flysurfer

For all foil kite riders
Enclume
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The Hybrid from Flysurfer

Postby Enclume » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:28 am

Yes awesome feedback on this thread! Really nice!

I’m thinking of getting a 3.5 to complement my 2.5 and 5.5. Before getting one, anyone knows if is there any Hybrid 2 in the pipeline for this year?

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:39 am

Doubt it, it hasn't been out that long. It'll be time for Peak 6 before Hybrid 2.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:28 pm

It's very rare for Flysurfer to put the next version out so quickly. Last time was when they put out the Sonic2 in like a years time. Pissed bunch of people off. I wouldn't expect a Hybrid2 till next fall at the earliest and that would be if there's some new fabric which I haven't heard anything about.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
a99 (Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:51 am

nayy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:26 am
I have more problems with the bridle lines from my hybrid, because they are so thin. My peak4 was much easier.
Also the launch is trickier with the hybrid. (but with some pre-inflation and practise it's getting better)
Interesting. I find the simplicity of the Hybrid bridle easier than the Peak. I keep my Infexion bar attached. I can usually just lay out the kite, close the butthole, hold up the bar to see each set of lines, then walk the bar back with one set (left steering and power line, e.g.) in my hands until it’s all out. Make sure there is no inversion at the bar, then slowly pull and launch. It is easily the quickest kite I have to lay out and launch.

Of course, this is with the 3.5m. I suppose the big ones would take some pre-inflate.

nayy
Frequent Poster

Postby nayy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:12 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:51 am

Interesting. I find the simplicity of the Hybrid bridle easier than the Peak. I keep my Infexion bar attached. I can usually just lay out the kite, close the butthole, hold up the bar to see each set of lines, then walk the bar back with one set (left steering and power line, e.g.) in my hands until it’s all out. Make sure there is no inversion at the bar, then slowly pull and launch. It is easily the quickest kite I have to lay out and launch.

Of course, this is with the 3.5m. I suppose the big ones would take some pre-inflate.
I always detach my kites, and the bridle itself is very simple.
the only problem is that the bridles are very thin (compared to my peak4) and much harder to detangel.
On the beach is just hard to sea if all bridles are good before launch. When you launch and it's not ok, its a pain to land again (alone), detangle and relaunch.

nayy

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:25 pm

nayy wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:12 pm
the only problem is that the bridles are very thin (compared to my peak4) and much harder to detangel.
My theory is that the tangling is more due to having a mixture of different line thicknesses. I have had several kites with very thin race-kite bridles (R1v2 and hysper2 to be specific) and they are actually not so bad because all the lines are the same thickness. But when you mix thin lines with thicker ones something happens to cause them to tangle more easily.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:17 pm

I've never had a tangle with the Hybrid. If you keep your leader lines pulled over the leading edge/front of the kite and roll everything else inside the kite you shouldn't have any tangles.
When you set up have the kite trailing edge with sand on it directly downwind, take the lines which you put over the front of the kite, bring them over the kite and gently shake and tension them while pulling up the kite a little against the wind to view the lines are correct. It's simple and if you do it the same every time you'll have no tangles.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:24 pm

drsurf wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:17 pm
I've never had a tangle with the Hybrid. If you keep your leader lines pulled over the leading edge/front of the kite and roll everything else inside the kite you shouldn't have any tangles.
When you set up have the kite trailing edge with sand on it directly downwind, take the lines which you put over the front of the kite, bring them over the kite and gently shake and tension them while pulling up the kite a little against the wind to view the lines are correct. It's simple and if you do it the same every time you'll have no tangles.
That's a strange way to roll up a foil kite but I can see how it can help with the Hybrid. It's that strange cross line that leads to the other side of the wing. It reminds me a lot of the Unity and they did it to help reduce bar pressure. I just rolled up my Hybrids like I've done every other foil and when setting up, a couple quick flicks to the bridle usually sorted itself out on it's own.

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:47 pm

Off topic but…
Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:28 pm
It's very rare for Flysurfer to put the next version out so quickly. Last time was when they put out the Sonic2 in like a years time. Pissed bunch of people off. I wouldn't expect a Hybrid2 till next fall at the earliest and that would be if there's some new fabric which I haven't heard anything about.
From an older thread…
james wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:42 am
If you are going to compare kites then at least get them to match up in terms of development and time they were brought to market

Chrono vs sonic FR
R1 vs sonic FR
R1v2. vs sonic 2
R1v2 vs race

That's a more logical comparison, given the R1 v2 is still competitive with the newest flysurfer it is a pretty decent achievement
I Agree with you both. Race kites & Performance kites & Hydrofoils were evolving quickly 2015~2018…
Attachments
IMG_4866.jpeg

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:46 am

drsurf wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:17 pm
This is fine info for any foil. But the fact remains that the hybrid bridle design is much more tangle prone that it needs to be. This is relevant if you have to land solo in high winds without a helper of a catcher or a wind shadow. Sometimes you cannot avoid a tangle in those situations.

Return to “Foil Kites”