edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

don't paint your entire foil kiteboarding kite do this instead

Postby edt » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:48 pm

These users thanked the author edt for the post (total 2):
JakeFarley (Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:02 pm) • erwin703 (Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:52 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: don't paint your entire foil kiteboarding kite do this instead

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Did you use GE Clear Silicone All Purpose Sealant? Or did you use the Advanced Silicone 2 Sealant? Supposedly the Silicone 2 has 5X stronger adhesion and 40% more flexibility. Did you wash/clean the kite seams before applying? It would be interesting to see how long it will hold up. I am going to test my 12m Soul to see it if needs a seam coating.

Thanks edt!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:06 pm

Nice video. I did it once on a old FS speed3, using seamgrip on seams obly . Hours and hours !
But kite was too old probably and the result was a bit deceiving.

Maybe one day i will paint the seams of my 18m like you did. What is your preference betwenn silicone or other gluing material ?

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:29 pm

I honestly have no idea which is the best glue, sealant, I used something called "100% silicone" I can't remember if it's type 1 or type 2, but I think it wasn't the best choice so if you have an idea of silicone or PU or anything else go with your feeling, I think my choice wasn't the greatest. However, the results were fantastic and I'm now enjoying the kite. I didn't wash anything too lazy. My advice is if you are enjoying your kite right now don't touch it. This sort of thing is a last resort, not a tune up to an already working kite.

I do think we need to test our kites more. The way people "fix" kites right now is randomly apply stuff to the surface of the kite all over and then fly it, repeat. What we need to do is find out exactly where the kite is leaking air and fix that spot. It's like the guy at home replacing random things on a car hoping this will be the thing that fixes it instead of the mechanic who tests everything until he finds the problem and fixes only that.

When I have time I'm going to dunk the kite again and do another test for leaks. Before the kite barely held air and it was quite difficult as it would almost completely deflate before I dunked it. Now the kite holds a lot more air so it will be a lot easier to test. It might be a while though since it flies decent right now and I don't have the motivation to test it.

Went back and checked it was in fact GE silicone 2.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
JakeFarley (Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:34 am)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:43 am

Looks like my 12m Soul is in need of seam sealing. When landing after my session today, the kite deflated almost 50% within a few minutes. I did a porosity/leak test on one seam and it was not good. I am going to test some GE Supreme Silicone (window and door) on the seam to see how well it seals and, if it does, do all the seams that leaking.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:23 pm

I'm not happy with ge silicon type 2 that stuff attracts sand so much. Let me know how the door sealant works.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:15 pm

Maybe even better to put a small strip of tape over the seams if you want to prevent air leaking out at those locations. Highly doubt any coating can cover a 1mm wide gap that you get when there is tension on the seams, it's just 2 pieces of cloth held together by a single row of stitching.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:55 pm

evan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:15 pm
Maybe even better to put a small strip of tape over the seams if you want to prevent air leaking out at those locations. Highly doubt any coating can cover a 1mm wide gap that you get when there is tension on the seams, it's just 2 pieces of cloth held together by a single row of stitching.
the reason the goo works is that the seam itself does NOT leak. There is no air coming out of the seam. If you take a close look at the bubbles, all the bubbles are coming out of the needle holes which get larger as time goes by. So you need to plug those tiny little holes where the thread goes, but the seam itself is ok. Of course it's too hard to goo only the needle holes so in practice this means you good about 1 inch right on the seam.

I don't have a video showing exactly where the air comes out, I might make one sometime, when I feel like dunking my soul again and get a close up shot of the bubbles.

Fill up your own foil kite, dunk it and then watch where the air comes out you'll see what I mean.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:16 pm

Also mind that a wet kite won't leak any air through the cloth, even when it is totally porous. It's the same effect as trapping air in porous cotton cloth like pant and t-shirts: the film of water makes it airtight. So a wet test isn't the best way to find out where a foilkite leaks the most air when flying.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:50 pm

evan wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:16 pm
Also mind that a wet kite won't leak any air through the cloth, even when it is totally porous. It's the same effect as trapping air in porous cotton cloth like pant and t-shirts: the film of water makes it airtight. So a wet test isn't the best way to find out where a foilkite leaks the most air when flying.
my t-shirts aren't air tight when they are wet. I'm not sure how else to test the kite but I'm open to suggestions.

Return to “Foil Kites”