Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kiteloops with foil kites

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

kiteloops with foil kites

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:43 pm

this trick is a bit specific with a foilkite, so worth a dedicated topic; Ì stator this maneuver recently, here are my poor trials with sonic3 13m in light wind (not the best kite and wind for kite loops ... :cry: ) :
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
PugetSoundKiter (Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Re: kiteloops with foil kites

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:32 pm

Nice. I’ve played around with 12m Chrono1 loops. Line tension management and preventing overflying the window is tricky. Pulling a steering line hard/fast/far will make the kite pivot turn while falling back in the window, then the kite can pull you hard getting back forward in the window (if you tune/sheet your bar so you can keep some backstall it is more manageable). Allowing the kite to drift too much will loose line tension. But when it works it’s a cool sensation to exit with acceleration and high upwind angles. Opposite of the peak kite.
:thumb:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:04 pm

Sometimes I find it difficult to understand what is going on from a pov video, are you able to complete the kite loop in the front half of the window so that you don’t have to bear away to cope with the build up of line tension??
Last edited by Herman on Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:27 pm

I've done some downloop transitions with my 12m Soul (on a TT), but I am reluctant to try one with my 21m Speed 5 (was tempted yesterday but the winds were very light).

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:11 pm

Herman wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:04 pm
Sometimes I find it difficult to understand what is going on from a pov video, are you able to complete the kite loop in the front half of the window so that you don’t have to bear away to cope with the build up of line tension??
well spoted, I was not able to keep the kite in front of me ; I tried ... but not succeed ;

in this low wind (and 16m line length) the kite was needing the full window , and was finishing (too) far at the rear of the window ; 16m line length does not help I suppose, to keep the kite in front of the window ...

I tried first to jump higher and then launch the kite backward, like with LEI in more wind, but too low wind , so hard to reach more than 2.5 m high. And then kite at almost 0 speed at 2.5m high had so poor line tension and turned so slowly (and without lift ) that it did not turn enough before I touched the water ;

So in the end, launching the KL directly after having sent the kite backward to jump led to the most complete KL I could ;

1 more knot would have been better (not very much because then a KL is too impressive , dangerous in view of my level and risk of kite damage , while I am selling this So3 13m today)
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Herman (Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:21 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:22 am

Sometimes I can make a bit more room in the front of the window by sheeting all in for a second, then sheeting out to let the kite “charge” towards the edge of the window. Trouble is you cannot afford to let the kite stop and so it makes the timing a bit more delicate to get it to turn back up while it is still going fast enough. Yours were impressive for such light wind!

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:21 pm

We talking downloops, heli, or powered loops?

Downloops/helis are pretty easy on foils, especially during transitions. I use to downloop my Speed 3 CE 21m all the time but you gotta start it much eariler than you think. Just timing.

Powered looping a foil is something else though. Again it's all about timing and expect quite the surge. The Speeds/Sonics in my opinion just are not fast enough to properly power loop. Sure you can stall/spiral the wing to speed up the turn, but you lose the lift. The Soul I've powered kitelooped up to a 8m. Watch out for a very large surge in power(I think it comes from the upward flight) but it is fun as hell. The 6m is much calmer. I've seen the Gin Spirit loop but I've never flown one to compare.

In my initial review of the Soul1 8m @2:35 you can see a couple powered loops.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:22 pm

Nice vid and nice skills !

Soul 6m in high wind is a better kiteloper than sonic3 13 m in light wind apparently ... Looool.
We are talking about kiteloop during a jump.
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:23 am

(deleted)

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:16 am

From original video it look like kite is nowhere near finishing a loop, I think 15 LEI would be quicker to finish loop than 13m foil kite, how is sonic 13m in jump transition heliloops? Does it have brought speed to finish loop? I guess it has so much lift that it doesn’t let rider sink easily.

Return to “Foil Kites”