Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

Postby geron » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:40 pm

I would add to the list:

* Wind range; would the 4m be able to hidrofoil in a higher wind than a ss like a 4m peak? Would the 8m be better to hidrofoil in 24 knots (than a ss like the peak and how much of a difference)?

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:31 am

It has this zipper in one of the vents. Does it have a 5th line safety option for snow kite like the hyperlink?
No, this kite is set up for strictly 4 line bars. I've been flying all the sizes on a homemade 53cm carbon bar with a frontline flagout system and it has been working great.

I've tested the 4m in lighter winds; the power feels similar to my 4m Shaman - possibly more, although I was not able to test side-by-side. The Marabous seem to move through the wind window a bit faster than the Shamans so I feel like they are developing a little sharper power spike. And just fast. The 4m is a very quick, nimble size as you might expect, and a lot of fun to throw around. I'll try to get some video up of it in the next few days.

I have a buddy who has extensive time on the 8m Peak4, and hope to get the 8m Marabou over to him for comparison in the coming weeks. With any luck, hopefully on snow!

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:41 am

I tried the 6m marabou2 in the ocean yesterday and its fantastic, review video coming soon, have uploaded some raw video, link below. Great water start power on pocket foil board (f-one pocket carbon with kujira 750) I am 115kg and wind was up and down, at times near 11kn and no problem, amazing angles upwind and downwind - almost directly at the kite with the rollers and it just drifts. Gusts were up around 19kn and those were no problem too, its hard to not sound like i am hyping this kite but it was one of the best foil sessions i have ever had, just heaps of fun. Last season I tried Gin Shaman single skin with a foil once at City Beach way overpowered (video on my youtube) and once in the river and had to swim it which put me off trying in the ocean which is where these are really fun so I never really got it, but i get it now, these types of kites are super fun and being able to relaunch is is a game changer (especially for riding in sharky places). I easily rode down to another break and pumped around on rollers and then very easily back up to where i started, really impressive angles, i mostly ride race gear and on older single skins line earlier shamans and peaks and even marabou1 I hated their upwind performance, but the Shaman3 and MarabouV2 gun upwind which is important for me to enjoy a kite. Yesterday at Cott/cables i was able to ride outbound on a very high angle and then downwind on perfect angle along the waves and then repeat (battery went flat at this point sadly).

I did put it in the water at one point by messing up a gybe and it looked like a mess on the water whilst i got the board and then it just opened up and restarted itself with almost no input (reassuring when there was a shark warning prior to my session). The ultralight bag it comes with is the best i have seen, weighs next to nothing and has a great bar pocket. I used a Gin Foil bar with 15m lines and which is a normal bar-neutral bar and didn't require any trimmer changes at any point, lines could be a bit longer, might try a different bar today, in some ways its a bit like a LEI, you can move the kite around for more power in lulls so longer lines might be even better.

RE wind ranges I think this 6m has more power than the 8m peak4 I tried so similar bottom end to that (see video also on my youtube). Top end (for hydrofoil) will be similar to Shaman 6m, I had that out in 25-27kn and it was a pain in the ass (video on channel), you can do it but why would you want to. I guess the top end I'd like to use the 6m in will be somewhere around 20kn, yesterday I was enjoying the gusts which were up to 19kn, never felt overpowered. Recently I rode the 10m marabou2 in gusts up to about 15-20kn and it was annoying, the big ones are for light winds with a foil.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post (total 3):
lederhosen (Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:28 pm) • irwe (Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:12 am) • dekoter (Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:47 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:28 am

Here's a quicklook at the 8m:

Winds are notoriously inconsisten at my house, but this kind of gives an idea how the kite handles in those sorts of conditions. Am pretty impressed with the amount of power the 8m was producing in 6-10 kts. I get the sense it's going to be one of my go-to sizes this winter, having enough power to loop up slopes in pretty light winds, but also the ability to depower well. It feels nimble and turns pretty tight which comes in handy when you're on sloped terrain and your wind window and ability to maneuver are compressed.

(Also, FWIW I' was flying the 8m Marabou on 21m lines and a 53cm homemade carbon bar- I tend to like a little longer lines for snowkiting).
These users thanked the author nate76 for the post:
lederhosen (Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:14 pm

derek440 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:41 am
I tried the 6m marabou2 in the ocean yesterday and its fantastic, review video coming soon, have uploaded some raw video, link below. Great water start power on pocket foil board (f-one pocket carbon with kujira 750) I am 115kg and wind was up and down, at times near 11kn and no problem, amazing angles upwind and downwind - almost directly at the kite with the rollers and it just drifts. Gusts were up around 19kn and those were no problem too, its hard to not sound like i am hyping this kite but it was one of the best foil sessions i have ever had, just heaps of fun. Last season I tried Gin Shaman single skin with a foil once at City Beach way overpowered (video on my youtube) and once in the river and had to swim it which put me off trying in the ocean which is where these are really fun so I never really got it, but i get it now, these types of kites are super fun and being able to relaunch is is a game changer (especially for riding in sharky places). I easily rode down to another break and pumped around on rollers and then very easily back up to where i started, really impressive angles, i mostly ride race gear and on older single skins line earlier shamans and peaks and even marabou1 I hated their upwind performance, but the Shaman3 and MarabouV2 gun upwind which is important for me to enjoy a kite. Yesterday at Cott/cables i was able to ride outbound on a very high angle and then downwind on perfect angle along the waves and then repeat (battery went flat at this point sadly).

I did put it in the water at one point by messing up a gybe and it looked like a mess on the water whilst i got the board and then it just opened up and restarted itself with almost no input (reassuring when there was a shark warning prior to my session). The ultralight bag it comes with is the best i have seen, weighs next to nothing and has a great bar pocket. I used a Gin Foil bar with 15m lines and which is a normal bar-neutral bar and didn't require any trimmer changes at any point, lines could be a bit longer, might try a different bar today, in some ways its a bit like a LEI, you can move the kite around for more power in lulls so longer lines might be even better.

RE wind ranges I think this 6m has more power than the 8m peak4 I tried so similar bottom end to that (see video also on my youtube). Top end (for hydrofoil) will be similar to Shaman 6m, I had that out in 25-27kn and it was a pain in the ass (video on channel), you can do it but why would you want to. I guess the top end I'd like to use the 6m in will be somewhere around 20kn, yesterday I was enjoying the gusts which were up to 19kn, never felt overpowered. Recently I rode the 10m marabou2 in gusts up to about 15-20kn and it was annoying, the big ones are for light winds with a foil.
Do you think the 6m might be the 'Go-to' size for trying on in a quiver? A bit like the consensus for the Peak 4 was to get a 5m and see if you liked it because it was a useful size and you could then size up or down depending on your local conditions.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:25 am

I tried the 6m again yesterday in similar conditions and the bottom end is surprisingly good. The top windspeed yesterday was again around 19kn and again it was totally conmfortable but I get the feeling that anything in the 20s and I'll need the 4m (which hasn't arrived yet). So I guess it depends on where you live but I think maybe the 6m will be the most useful size for many places, if you live somewhere windy you'll want a 4m for sure, here in Perth the seabreeze for the whole summer season is most days and often over 20kn, but there are loads of days like yesterday in the 10-19kn range. If I was only getting one hybrid kite I'd get the 6m and accepting riding overpowered or missing out on really strong days. I reckon with the some practice and longer lines you could probably use the 6m in pretty light wind too but I haven't had a chance to test that theory yet, I reckon my lightest water start yesterday was in about 10kn and it was ok with some aggressive kite movement to get out of the water, the power spike is good and my kujira hydrofoil has good bottom end and pumpabilty for lulls.

If you live somewhere with light wind or want a kite for winter light winds you'll need a big one to have a decent time in the sub 10kn ranges, on a recent holiday I water started the 10m in about 8kn very easily, didn't get a chance yet to try lighter. I also have a 12m Shaman3 (single skin like Peak) and I have water started a hydrofoil with that in about 6kn so the 12m Marabou2 should have similar bottom end of even better, last winter I had a Gin Instinct 18m as my light wind option but last year I was racing, this year I think I'll be hunting waves on the Marabou2 so my quiver will be 4,6,10 i reckon. RE light wind have you seen the video of Hugo from NZ riding a peak in about 3kn on a wingfoil board/foil, might give that try too with the Marabou2 when the wind is light again in Perth - in about half a year!
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
nothing2seehere (Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:07 am

Hey Derek, enjoyed watching your 6m session; thanks for posting. That's the one size I haven't received yet, but it looks pretty quick; I'm excited to try it.

I've got some time on the 4m in winds ranging from 6-16 knots - its going to be a fun kite. Very snappy. Produces a nice power spike as you move it through the power zone; I think its gonna make a nice foil kite for slightly stronger conditions.

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:45 am

Here's a look at the 4m:

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:51 pm

Nice side-by-side comparison of Gin Marabou 2 and Flysurfer Hybrid:
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/m4GTdcedXP8

I tried to make a translation of the text using Google Translate - anyone who speaks German please feel free to correct or clarify anything that is wrong.

Hybrid Singleskins
These are completely new concepts.
Of Flysurfer Hybrid and Gin Marabou 2
The Marabou is a bit more stretched [higher aspect ratio]
The Flysurfer is a bit stockier
This allows the Flysurfer to turn a bit tighter
Because he has to do less away (?)
The relaunch is also something that works really easily
Either backwards or up via a steering line
what is noticeable the gin does not flutter behind
but when you depower it only flutters in the middle [I think he means chord-wise?]
And you hardly notice anything in the bar
The Flysurfer flutters a little more.
And has more depower at the bar
The Marabou has more basic pressure, the Flysurfer more depower in direct comparison.
I would put my child on the Flysurfer Hybrid
When I go out with the foil I would also take the flysurfer hybrid because its lighter
But when I’m snowkiting in the snow, I would probably take the Gin because it feels sportier
But great concepts that are easy to play with and insane kites made to have a lot of fun.

All-in-all this lines up quite closely with the performance characteristics I've witnessed so far with the Marabou2.

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:15 pm

how would these kites do in high wind in gusty conditions. I hate gusty wind, most times I won't even bother kiting, but if these are good for these conditions I might consider. I fly foil kites, so not great at all in gusty conditions, especially Sonic 3.

Return to “Foil Kites”