Kiting since: 2013
Style: Freefoil
Gear: Airush Ultra’s 6m & 9m
GIN Marabou V2 8m
Gong foils carbon 70 & 100cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

Postby dekoter01 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:35 pm

Kite can be tested in NL via Gerrit Renooij, just google him or PM me.

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:36 pm

Had a chance to try all sizes of the Marabou over 3 days of kiting this week. Can say I'm very happy with the relaunch of the kite.

In one instance I dumped the 10m in some marginal winds. Suffered a complete lull and the kite waffled; I tried saving it but had a brake line that went underneath my foilboard / mast, and I was sunk.

Spent a couple minutes fishing lines from underneath my foil board, meanwhile the kite had landed trailing edge down which is kind of the worst case scenario. I was in deep water my foil board had floated away, so there was nothing to brace against. The wind picked up a little bit, I'd say to about six knots? Took about 6 to 10 vigorous tugs on the front lines treading water, but I was able to get it to shed water and relaunch. That had me feeling pretty bulletproof about the relaunch.

I intentionally tried to repeat the scenario a few times (trailing edge in the water, deep water w/ nothing to brace against) in what I felt were similar wind conditions and the results were mixed. Sometimes I could get it to unstick and sometimes I couldn’t. My take-away was that there was a definite limit to what the kite will re-launch in right around the 6 kt range. This only really applies to trailing-edge-down. If you land the kite on its leading edge, it relaunches pretty well in sub 6kt winds. And above 10kts, the kite begins to self-relaunch in any orientation. So all-in-all I would consider the relaunch quite good. There is a small window however that is marginally kite-foilable, where you may not be able to get the kite to relaunch if it ends up with the trailing edge in the water.

The other take-away for me from the weekend was the kites good stability in marginal sub 6kt winds. I’ve got a lot of time on higher performance foil kites like the Gin Spirit; these kites have no problem staying up in light winds either; however, they take more concentration and pre-meditating. Typically what happens in my local area is that if the winds are light they are also variable; so a higher performance kite will start to back-stall in the lull but then want to surge forward when the wind cycles. This leads to the kite hunting a bit and you typically have to be two steps ahead and weave the kite to avoid it from overshooting. The Marabou sits just enough further back in the wind window where all of this is essentially gone. Down to about 3-4 kts you really don’t feel like you have to worry about the kite at all; it just kind of hangs out overhead. It does not auto-zenith, so you may have to nudge it back to the top every now and again, but it also doesn’t feel like it wants to backstall, nor does it want to surge/overshoot when the wind cycles. This made kiting in marginal winds way less stressful and enjoyable, to a level I was not expecting.

I also got time twin-tipping on the 6, 8, and 10. All I can say is that I had no problems keeping up and going upwind just was well as kites several sizes larger. For example I was out on the 10m M2 and going upwind just as well as my buddy who was on a 15m HQ Matrixx – we were both riding the same Litewave Wing 155 board. On the 8m session I was probably kiting in ~20 kts winds, on the 6m session winds were really gnarly and gusty (10-30+kts) and the kite never collapsed. I do use a Litewave Wing 155 board for all conditions so that is helping, but my upwind tack angles are always at least average or better. I feel like I get better grip on the water with the Marabou2 than some of my other foil kites – I think its because it is not trying to lift me off the water quite as much as my liftier kites, so I’m getting better fin engagement and am able to drive upwind better at higher speeds without the board chattering/skipping over the water. When you bring the Marabou down you get some really great grunt and engagement and can drive really hard upwind.

The pop on the 8 and 10 is quite a bit of fun. People hoping for the same boosting capabilities as kites like the Spirit/Sonic/Soul will be dissappointed, but it still has potential. To me the initial acceleration/pop felt more aggressive than most of my other foil kites, but the upward velocity dissipates quicker with not as much float or hangtime. Its gonna take me a few sessions to dial the jumps in as it is a different feel and timing than some of the other floatier kites I’m used to; with that said it was jumping better than I expected it to, in what I felt like marginal winds. The day I had the 10m out on a twin tip, the winds were maxing out around 12kts and not consistent so I never felt like I was really getting a solid feel of the jumping abilities. I’d like to get the 10m out on a twin tip in 15-20kt winds – I think it would be a ton of fun.
Last edited by nate76 on Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author nate76 for the post (total 2):
bitxopalo (Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:07 pm) • Gerwinnaar (Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:43 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:11 pm

Here's some video footage of water relaunches in ~6-10kt winds:

These users thanked the author nate76 for the post (total 2):
bitxopalo (Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:45 am) • Gerwinnaar (Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:10 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:12 pm

I just uploaded a rough edit of me hydrofoiling with my Marabou2 8m in sub 10kts so you can check out the flying characteristics of the wing. I have really enjoyed flying this kite; it is very dynamic, produces good power for it's size, and overall just really fun to fly. Hopefully shortly I'll have a more indepth review video where I'll also compare it to the Flysurfer Hybrid.

These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
nate76 (Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:35 pm

My first look of Marabou: mid AR, mediocre cell count, nice feeling fabric and good general quality/workmanship. Unfortunately bridle reveals there is not very deep understanding how it should be done, what is needed and what isn't necessary or is just way too long. For hybrid/single skin kite this is even more crucial because it so much relys on the bridle and there is lot of bridle line even in good design.

Certainly this kite isn't designed by the same guy who did Instinct. In that kite I immediately saw it was done properly and it also flied very very well.

How different line rows in Marabou go to usual two pulley mixer is unconventional or even a bit weird. It tells how flexible soft kites actually are, there is more than one way to do it. But of course seeing something like this raises your eyebrows. There should be concrete and justified reasons to do things differently, I hope they have it.

So i could easily improve some parts, to save same line and make bridle simpler, also from the manufacturing point of view. This all could be done without altering basic design of the bridle, and I can prove it easily. Actually I'm going to fix other side of the kite before I'm testing it. Another question is if there is lot more to be done, for instance if it is reasonable to pull 1:4 for so large area of canopy etc., or is there more room to adjust total length of the bridle and so on.

After that one IDK if I want to take a look of FS Hybrid at all :o :) Or perhaps it is time for me to show how these kites should be designed properly. But IDK, Alma looks good enough and Pansh Hawks are dirt cheap and obviously well designed multi purpose kites, so I'm not sure if I have motivation any more
Last edited by kitexpert on Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:47 pm

Marabou tested. I was underpowered so I can't say much more than it worked well.

My corrections worked well also. Who knows how many meters unnecessary line length there is in these kites? Sloppy design work or they just don't care :roll:

FunOnTheWater
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone

Postby FunOnTheWater » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:02 pm

How far can this kite fly at the edge of the wind window, for instance upwindabilty compared to f.i. Kestrel ?
What is the windrange, difference between, max power (pull for starting) and min power for wave ride on such kite ?
If at drift, does it sit very deep, or drifts with you at the edge of window ?

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 pm

FunOnTheWater wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:02 pm
How far can this kite fly at the edge of the wind window, for instance upwindabilty compared to f.i. Kestrel ?
What is the windrange, difference between, max power (pull for starting) and min power for wave ride on such kite ?
Kestrel and single skins or hybrids are just uncomparable. Especially for wave riding.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kitexpert » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:34 am

FunOnTheWater wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:02 pm
It sits deeper in the WW and when you depower more TE starts to flutter and it won't fly very close to the edge of WW. But I guess it flies further than pure ss kite and you can expect better upwind performance. It doesn't climb nearly as high as high aspect foil kite.

When you surge it it gives decent power but timing is closer to foil kite than LEI kite, so it gives power later and for longer time. It is something in between. For foil this can be even an advantage but for surf board I prefer snappier reaction.

Yesterday I did a water relaunch after switching kites on the fly. Some water got over the single skin area but not any in the closed section. I had to pull front lines hard for some time but eventually it relaunched ok. When I looked kite during depowering/powering up I could see furthest back B lines went slack occasionally. But what else can you expect if you pull ca. 60% chord point only 25% and very close to it there is 50-100% pull? I couldn't see much harm of it but it made me wonder if kite was better with more conventional setup.

When fully depowered all line rows behind (doubled) A went slack and kite tolerated it very well. So you can assume it has quite a lot depower as far as you can tolerate flutter

Return to “Foil Kites”