Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

Postby nate76 » Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:13 am

For 18-28 kts you might even want to consider the 6m. The 8m would be pretty well lit in those conditions. The 6m is a fun size - very quick with a considerable amount of power.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:15 am

I have done a little bit of jumping on the Marabou2 and surprised how fun it is to jump. I have also tried jumping single skins and can confirm they suck, the Marabou2 doesn't suck at jumping, its pretty fun. It is suprising how much the m2 has captured elements of how a tube kite feels and how a foil kite performs. And agree on the point RE loops, it depends on how you loop it, if you give it some air through a downloop it is super powerful so much so that one person who tested it was put off by the intense power in the downloop, but if you use a big bar and crank hard enough through the downloop to pivot and stall one side of the kite is a pussy-cat through the downloop, its a technique thing. The good thing about the powerful downloop is the waterstart can be done with very little kite up which is great for drifting. I am hoping to get some light wind days soon so I can get some gopro footage of how light I can waterstart the 12m, i am hoping i can get below 6kn with long lines on some nice glassy light wind days.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
dekoter (Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dekoter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Style: Freeride foil
Gear: Airush Ultra 6&9m
GIN Marabou V2 8m
Gong Curve L&ST, carbon 70&100cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby dekoter » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:00 pm

derek440 wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:15 am
I have done a little bit of jumping on the Marabou2 and surprised how fun it is to jump. I have also tried jumping single skins and can confirm they suck, the Marabou2 doesn't suck at jumping, its pretty fun. It is suprising how much the m2 has captured elements of how a tube kite feels and how a foil kite performs. And agree on the point RE loops, it depends on how you loop it, if you give it some air through a downloop it is super powerful so much so that one person who tested it was put off by the intense power in the downloop, but if you use a big bar and crank hard enough through the downloop to pivot and stall one side of the kite is a pussy-cat through the downloop, its a technique thing. The good thing about the powerful downloop is the waterstart can be done with very little kite up which is great for drifting. I am hoping to get some light wind days soon so I can get some gopro footage of how light I can waterstart the 12m, i am hoping i can get below 6kn with long lines on some nice glassy light wind days.
Derek what line length did you use for jumping?

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:05 pm

and how high were the jumps?

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:54 am

I got out on the Marabou2 again yesterday and put the back footstrap on my foilboard (f-one pocket) so I could do some jumping. I was happy with the jumping as it was weedy so I had to jump and turn the board backwards and land, and the 6m had enough lift to jump me in 18kn - I am 110kg. I was on 15m lines (Gin Foil bar without the extensions on) and those seem to work fine but my wife prefers the Gin Bar with 19m lines for marabou2. I'm not sure how high my jumps were, definitely not as high as on Spirit or Instinct which are boosting machines but high enough and lofty enough to turn the board/foil backwards and land again and ride away repeatedly. I didn't have the gopro on yesterday, i'll take it next time and get some footage of jumping the marabou2. Short story is it jumps better than single skins and feels nice to jump but not as high as Soul/Sonic type kites. The other issue with jumping is how powered up you are, for me with a surf foil I like to have a bit less kite so its not pulling when i am surfing swell but then you can't jump much when you have such a small kite up. When I take the race foil I power up way more on the kite size and then when the wind comes up its boosting time. For me i mostly end up jumping the marabou2 when the wind has increased during the session. Yesterday I rode 6m marabou2 in 18kn but I may have taken the 4m but i knew there was weed and I'd need the extra power for jumping my heavy ass out of the water with enough time to get the weed off the foil! Same conditions if using race foil I'd take my 12m Gin Istinct and race foil and the lift would be crazy.

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:04 am

Just found this Marabou2 review on seabreeze: https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... e?page=1#5

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:50 pm

I had my first session on the 12m Marabouv2 yesterday but it was a weird one. I was previously out on a 13m Gin Boom race kite with a race foil (chubanga3) and the wind dropped and I had the marabou2 12m in the car so I gave it a go. The wind was dropping and gusty, graphs say 10-13kn but it was more like 7 or 8kn in the lulls and maybe 15kn in the gusts and I only had a race bar with 11m lines or a freeride bar with 23m lines so i took the freeride bar in case wind dropped. Anyway it was a bit of a handful in the gusts with that bar/lines but in the lulls it had loads of power and of course super stable etc as expected even in the funky wind. Water starting in about 8kn with a race foil was very easy I was shocked at the amount of grunt pulling power. I need more light wind days to test the lowest bottom end, but after that first attempt I would say the wind range for 12m and me at 110kg and with a freeride foil and pocket board is going to be around 5kn bottom end and possibly lower maybe 4kn with a higher volume board like my wingfoil board. I also noticed that when flying in areas of almost no wind the kite still hangs in the air well I think standing on the land it could be flown in almost nothing like a single skin kite. I also noticed that when I was properly powered on the 12m with my race foil i was able to get some pretty decent upwind and downwind angle and the downloop gybes were great. I can confirm that 15kn is above the recommended top end for use with a foil it starts to yank downwind and not want to steer well etc, the ranges on website seem pretty right to me so far, published range with foil is 4-12kn for 12m and I think this is pretty accurate from my first experience. If its blowing over 12kn i would definitely take the 6m marabou2, but i was able to safely ride through the gusts without too much drama also, just letting it take me downwind at times. We have some light wind days coming up at last so I'll be able to try the bottom end soon on pocket board/foil and wingboard-foil and will report back and hopefully find my gopro and get some video- ideally with nice glassy water :)

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:14 am

I got out yesterday on Marabou2 10m in light wind, the graphs were reporting 8-10kn for the area but in this location which is protected I think approx 7kn. I was hoping for less to test the bottom end of the 12m but as there was more wind than I hoped I tried the 10m to see if it can start in 7-8kn and it was fine, there was more than enough wind. I got some gopro video of the session as I am going to make a review video, but for now I uploaded a few snips for those that want to see how it performs in light wind. My observations were that is moves and turns well, has loads of power for the water start, most times I was instantly out of the water, at one point in the video i went near the shore where there is very little wind and was still able to start with a few swoops. I ran out of battery but at end of the session it was about 10kn and I was able to do some jumping, not very night but enough to backroll. Overall it was a pleasure to ride in the light wind and based on this I am hopeful the 12m will be able to go in much lighter wind, possibly below 6kn and even lower with large board. I was riding on 60cm Gin Foil bar with 15m lines, longer lines should give a longer power stroke and more powered loop but I really like the big bar and short lines. The foil i used is Kujira 750 with F-one pocket board both of which are awesome, a really nice session.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:13 am

Sounds amazing, almost too good to believe?

4-5 knots being 110 kg, not even racefoilers with 24 m2 kites can go in this...

Sorry for being a bit sceptical :wink:

Or are you talking about a board sized so you can climb up, instead of waterstarting, like Smeagle?

8) Peter

derek440
Medium Poster

Postby derek440 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:14 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:13 am
Sounds amazing, almost too good to believe?

4-5 knots being 110 kg, not even racefoilers with 24 m2 kites can go in this...

Sorry for being a bit sceptical :wink:

Or are you talking about a board sized so you can climb up, instead of waterstarting, like Smeagle?

8) Peter
Yes I am talking about a board i can float on (or almost float) and then using the hybrid kite to start the foil. Getting my 110kg bulk out of the water with a pocket board requires at least 6kn in my experience and that is with 21m race kite. I am hoping the 12 marabou2 can also do it in 6kn, the same as i need a 21m race kite for. With my 18m Instinct (free-race) i can start in about 7-8kn with my race foil or pocket board.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
airsail (Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”