Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

For all foil kite riders
Mitchel_12000
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

Postby Mitchel_12000 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:57 am

Has anyone used the Marabou 2 as a light wind twintip kite? Mainly for cruising around because jumping in light wind s*cks anyway :-).

nate76
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Postby nate76 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:31 am

So finally got 4 solid days of kiting on the Marabous, tracking out over 100 miles on all 5 sizes in some pretty incredible winter conditions up in the mountains. Feel like I have a pretty good sense for the kites now, and what their strengths and weaknesses might be.

I was out with a friend who spent pretty much the entire time riding Peak 4’s, while switching out to my Marabous a few times and offered some feedback. His sense was that they were solid kites with a clean feel, but that they might have a sharper surge than the peaks in strong gusts and with a little more tendency to backstall. I have not noticed the backstalling issue, although you can certainly trim the kites so that they will stall and do pinwheel turns. I tend to prefer to ride them a little more depowered so that they make a carving, powered -up loop for going up hills.

I will say that I agree with the surge and power spike being sharper on the Marabous than the Peaks/single skins, but for me – not in a dangerous way. I believe this is because the kite is cleaner than a normal single skin and moves faster through the wind window – creating a sharper power spike. You can still kill the power very quickly though by pushing the bar out and feel very much in control and not overwhelmed. This was confirmed in my on one session when I was on the 8m in pretty strong conditions (15 - ~40mph? gusts). The winds were forecasted to gust into the 50’s – I don’t think they ever got to that but my friend who was sitting in the car said it was rocking the car and he was a bit concerned. While the gusts had my attention, the kite never tried to collapse and I never felt out of control. When sheeted out, there really isn’t any lift in the kite, so you can actually bring the kite to noon to bleed off speed – something you would never attempt on a regular twin skin kite for risk of getting lofted.

Very stable kite – I don’t believe I had a single collapse the entire trip aside from what I would consider user error (messing with cameras and not paying attention to the kite, over-running the kite while going into obvious wind shadows, etc).

I do feel like the Marabou2 is a legitimate substitute for a single-skin kite for snowkiting - providing the safety and ease-of-use of a singleskin for all but the most extreme scenarios. Pros of the Marabou are that is it a little quicker and has a bit more performance than a similar single skin. Cons are that it will be a bit heavier and not pack quite as small, not have 5th line safety if you like that, and have a bit edgier power surge in gusty conditions.

In terms of upwind ability, I do believe the Marabou is better than single skin, although it is not going to be as efficient as something like a Soul or Hyperlink. There is still a sense on the 10 and 12 sizes that when you start carrying a lot of speed (say over 20kts) that the kite wants to pull you downwind, although not as bad as other single skins I’ve been on. I felt like I could carry a lot more speed on the 8m and smaller kites before I had this sensation.

The 4 and 6m are not jumping kites. However the 8, 10, and 12 have some nice lift and float. The 8m in my experience had the nicest pop feel, where the 10 and 12 will have pretty mellow pop, but glide fairly nice.

I really fell in love with the 8m size – at my 195lb weight it was just the perfect mix of speed, power, pop and lift. I found that on my uphill looping I was keeping up pretty closely with my friend who was on a 9m single skin – just because the kite was moving and looping faster. Then on the downhill descents I was able to carry quite a bit of speed - more than I would have been able to on 10 or 12m Marabou before feeling like It was trying to suck me downwind. It also still retained a nice lift/glide for gentle landings but with just a little extra pop than the larger sizes that really hit the sweet spot for me in terms on not feeling too aggressive but also fun. And it should cover a huge wind range - I think it is going to be my go-to mountain kite now for all but the really light or 30+mph forecasted days.

Last edited by nate76 on Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author nate76 for the post (total 6):
Sceotend (Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:38 am) • Smeagle (Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:28 am) • seppalord (Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:42 am) • gnevin (Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:20 pm) • bitxopalo (Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:32 pm) • dekoter01 (Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:28 pm)
Rating: 18.18%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:21 am

Thats Heaven! Its colorado?

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:49 pm

It is! Western Colorado has had some great snow this year.

dekoter01
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Freefoil
Gear: Airush Ultra’s 6m & 9m
GIN Marabou V2 8m
Gong foils carbon 70 & 100cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby dekoter01 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:32 pm

Nice pictures and informative post Nate, glad I recieved my 8m last month, can’t wait to try this kite on my foil.

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:40 pm

Some footage of the 8m in the hills:

Happy Easter everybody!
These users thanked the author nate76 for the post:
dekoter01 (Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 pm

Adventure Logs, any more riding on the water with the 8?

You are the only one I can relate to for sure, regarding these kites and having an unbiased view :thumb:

Of course it would be even more interesting to have a 6 m2 and see neck and neck versus Peaks, how they compare :naughty:

But the 8 m2 also interesting in terms of how it stacks up in waves, too low wind to drift and turn well, or okay?

8) Peter

djdojo
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 84kg
Local Beach: West StKilda, Brighton
Style: Strapless foiling
Gear: Armstrong 1125, 925, 725, chopped 725, chopped FlyingV and chopped HA195 tails, homemade pocketboards, 5, 4 and 3m Peak4s, 2.5m FS Hybrid

Postby djdojo » Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:02 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 pm

Of course it would be even more interesting to have a 6 m2 and see neck and neck versus Peaks, how they compare :naughty:

8) Peter
Hi Peter, I have ridden a friend's 6m Marabou v2 a few times back-to-back with my 5m Peak4, and helped him tune it. I've also owned a 7m Soul, and the Marabou sits between them for pretty much all aspects of performance.

It produces more power than the 5m Peak, but not by much. It goes upwind a fair bit better. It definitely doesn't drift as well.

It keeps shooting forward and pulling when you let the bar out to the point at which the Peak just starts flapping. In this regard the Marabou is much more like a twin-skin kite and this is a deal-breaker for my riding (and why I sold my Soul). I want the kite to lose power instantly and sit deep, while I glide or ride a wave, ready for my next input.

I ride at low power levels and in the range where I'd ride the 6, relaunch is sketchy. Whilst Derek's earlier video shows the Marabou relaunching easily in decent wind when he's standing knee deep, there's no way it will relaunch as well as a Soul in low power levels. I doubt that a deep water reset to lying on its back would work like it does for a Peak either. Relaunch will get worse with use as it looks to me like the Gin cloth ages faster and retains more water than the cloth Flysurfer used for Peak 4, Soul V1 and Sonic3, let alone the new stuff in the Hybrid and Peak5.

Also, my mate's 6m is already pulling noticeably to one side and at 70kg on a foil, he hasn't been loading it up that much, so I wonder about the bridle materials choice.

There's still nothing close to a Peak4, except a Peak5. I see the Marabou as more for those who want something a little less full-powered than a twinskin, and who imagine they're riding waves, but are really just riding where a wave happens to be (and who hopefully can take a joke), but I suspect that many of these would be as happy on a Hyperlink or other lower aspect twinskin.

I also hope its obvious by now that the Marabou2 and FS Hybrid are non-overlapping in performance characteristics and that no further discussion of this is needed. The Marabou will crush the Hybrid for low-end and upwind ability, whilst the chubby Hybrid will drift and relaunch way better.
These users thanked the author djdojo for the post (total 3):
lederhosen (Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:28 am) • Peter_Frank (Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:35 am) • nate76 (Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:56 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

nate76
Medium Poster

Postby nate76 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:05 pm

djdojo wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:02 am
I also hope its obvious by now that the Marabou2 and FS Hybrid are non-overlapping in performance characteristics and that no further discussion of this is needed. The Marabou will crush the Hybrid for low-end and upwind ability, whilst the chubby Hybrid will drift and relaunch way better.
+1 on this. I haven't had a chance to test the Marabou on water yet, but this what I would expect just based on design differences. Which kite you prefer will come down largely to how you plan to use use it, and what aspects of performance are more important to you.

Some more winter footage of the 6m - the 6m carries speed really well, which makes it pretty fun for covering a lot of ground on snow.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:47 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:27 pm
Adventure Logs, any more riding on the water with the 8?

You are the only one I can relate to for sure, regarding these kites and having an unbiased view :thumb:

But the 8 m2 also interesting in terms of how it stacks up in waves, too low wind to drift and turn well, or okay?

8) Peter
Not yet, maybe this week if the wind cooperates. Leg is finally getting to the point where I may be able to get out and foil. If I can I'll get back to you.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”