Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gin Marabou v2 reviews ?

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:11 am

So finally got a decent session in with my leg. Foot switches shit aren't going to happen and could only foil bad leg forward but I got a good 90 minutes in with the wind right at 10kts maybe gusting to 12/13 and lulls down to 8.

I only got one session with the M2 8m before my accident so I was waiting to get more time under the wing. Now that I have I can say 100% that for my style the Marabou2 is so much better than the Hybrid 7.5. Where the lack of dynamic handling eventually makes me extremely frustrated with the Hybrid, I was just loving what the Marabou was doing. I even dropped it and was able to relaunch no problem after I stopped yelling about my leg(so it sat for awhile). In the same wind speeds the hybrid would have been a struggle and most likely in my condition not possible.

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:56 am

any comments on the bridles?
easy to adjust and replace?
good quality bridle lines?

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:04 am

blu wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:56 am
I think that these questions are not so important in deciding whether one should buy these kinds of kites or not, having owned several different brands in this category, including the very basic bridles of concept air, and the race-kite style bridle of the hysper. From the v1 I have seen Gin construction is as good as flysurfer (concept air and sky country are more basic/simple).
Regarding adjustability, it is not an issue for this style of kite - at least not for hydrofoil riding as the kites do not seem sensitive to the aging of bridles.

(The thing that puts me off Gin is the high price and relatively few dealers/riders. You hardly ever see independent reviews, and I don't rate my chances of finding a discounted or demo/used one, unlike my experience with peaks and hybrids.)
These users thanked the author merl for the post:
blu (Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:42 pm

blu wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:56 am
There are some things that I'm missing from the Gin like the adjustable bridle. Flysurfer has that down. No lcls(but I never needed them anyhow). I like the thick main bridle lines on the gin and large connection knots, unlike hybrids connections which are like the VMG and just doesn't bring confidence when I attach the bar lines(the knots are tiny). I also know the thicker bridle lines does hurt performance a little. The lines do look like good quality but I will report back how they age.

Time will tell about the fabric but I am enjoying the color scheme more on the Gin. The bright colors are refreshing compared to the more dull tones of the FSs.

I'm a firm believer that zippers shouldn't be on kites especially if you ride the ocean so I will keep an eye out on that. I have had some issues with the large Velcro butthole on the Hybrid though(they are just too big in the bigger sizes).

What it comes down to though was the Hybrid makes me frustrated while flying it due to the lack of dynamic flying characteristics so these other things don't matter to me in the end personally. If the kite isn't fun to fly, I'm just not going to fly it.
These users thanked the author Adventure Logs for the post (total 2):
dekoter01 (Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:00 pm) • blu (Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:43 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:53 pm

I like the colors on Gin, for sure best graphic design. I love bridles on my flysurfers because I can replace and adjust them with ease.
thank you for your opinion.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Punta del Diablo, Urugay

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:13 pm

blu wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:53 pm
I like the colors on Gin, for sure best graphic design. I love bridles on my flysurfers because I can replace and adjust them with ease.
thank you for your opinion.
Replacement is just as easy on the Gin IMO plus since this is a hydrofoil kite for me, I don't expect ever to have to do that. An adjustable bridle though sure is missed. There may be ways to do it on the Gin, I don't know yet. The large bridle lines on the wear parts are much more robust so I don't expect much shrinkage for the first couple years which is usually the longest I'll keep a kite. I'll keep monitoring it though and report back my findings. Personally when it comes down to it, how it looks and how the bridle is setup doesn't mean anything if the kite isn't fun for me.

blu
Medium Poster

Postby blu » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:42 pm

good points for sure, thank you

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:02 am

Keep in mind Gin make these products in partnership with Gin Gliders. The cloth is the newest gerneration Myungjin cloth developed in Korea in a ground-breaking partnership with a Korean University and cloth manufacturer that has made parachutes for decades. The same cloth is used on the free-race kites the Instinct which one of our local riders has done over 10,000km on without any cloth issues whatsoever including many dips in the water and incredible relaunch. I'd say the FS cloth in the Soul2 would be the closest comparison. For more info on Myungin cloth you can check out the Gin paragliders that required extra strength/performance i.e. the paramotor and tandem wings, but note that Gin Gliders are now moving many of their higher performance wings to the new cloth as its just better over time due to the way the coating process is now merged inside the cloth rather than stuck on the outside like old cloth types. RE the bridles for all the Gin Kites they are either Lyros Dyneema or new Aramid fibres of high quality, similar to those used on the Gin paragliders, a known quantity for decades and quality workmanship. Replacing sections is unusual and tuning marabou is not often required but is pretty simple by making new sections or looping connection points to shorten sections, same for mixer tuning if you ever need to do it which is unlikely for Marabou. I have done about 5 water relaunches in the ocean whilst riding and only once did I have to wind-in and re-set the kite on its trailing edge but that worked fine and every tiem i got it going. Also the drift i have found similar insane depth to single skin, and upwind heaps better than single skin.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post (total 3):
bitxopalo (Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:08 pm) • airsail (Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:10 pm) • Adventure Logs (Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:23 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

dekoter01
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Freefoil
Gear: Airush Ultra’s 6m & 9m
GIN Marabou V2 8m
Gong foils carbon 70 & 100cm

Postby dekoter01 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:05 pm

derek440 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:02 am
Keep in mind Gin make these products in partnership with Gin Gliders. The cloth is the newest gerneration Myungjin cloth developed in Korea in a ground-breaking partnership with a Korean University and cloth manufacturer that has made parachutes for decades. The same cloth is used on the free-race kites the Instinct which one of our local riders has done over 10,000km on without any cloth issues whatsoever including many dips in the water and incredible relaunch. I'd say the FS cloth in the Soul2 would be the closest comparison. For more info on Myungin cloth you can check out the Gin paragliders that required extra strength/performance i.e. the paramotor and tandem wings, but note that Gin Gliders are now moving many of their higher performance wings to the new cloth as its just better over time due to the way the coating process is now merged inside the cloth rather than stuck on the outside like old cloth types. RE the bridles for all the Gin Kites they are either Lyros Dyneema or new Aramid fibres of high quality, similar to those used on the Gin paragliders, a known quantity for decades and quality workmanship. Replacing sections is unusual and tuning marabou is not often required but is pretty simple by making new sections or looping connection points to shorten sections, same for mixer tuning if you ever need to do it which is unlikely for Marabou. I have done about 5 water relaunches in the ocean whilst riding and only once did I have to wind-in and re-set the kite on its trailing edge but that worked fine and every tiem i got it going. Also the drift i have found similar insane depth to single skin, and upwind heaps better than single skin.
Winding in as in winding the lines around the bar, swimming towards the kite and setting on the trailing edge?

If so this means that this kite remains floating for a long period..

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:08 am

Yep. In racing having to do a "wind-in" is exactly as you described, sitting on the board you wind lines on the bar, set the kite on trailing edge, check bridle and then pay it out and pull the front lines and up she goes. This is very common with race kites due to the aspect ratio, with a freeride kite its unusual to need this but handy that it can be done for when something weird happens and yes the kite is in the water for a while, but I ride short lines and a long bar which makes the process much faster. Sometimes if its ultra light I do it the naughty way and just haul in line and adjust the canopy by hand and paddle back to relaunch but that's dangerous, but I do carry a hook knife. The time I had to do this withe marabou I had done a gybe near the shore-break and messed up the gybe and sent the kite into the waves (tiny waves) but I had to get the foil/board first and by the time i got back the kite had been properly roles through itself. I did the "wind-in" and reset the kite and noticed it had taken on some water due to the small waves but when i got unwound and reset i was able to de-water the kite and relaunch no problem. And after I dried the kite out it looked and felt like new. We have had people here (in Perth Australia) who must have done over 20 water relaunches with instincts and the cloth is still perfect, the Myungin cloth is epic, some of the local club racers here have sworn to never buy another kite not made out of that type of high durability cloth.

RE the cloth used for Marabou2/Instinct I have seen the results from the cloth porosity testing process and they are mind blowing, they are on a different level to traditional cloth. The fabrics are tested by passing air through with a scientific testing device and then they are exposed to UV and "washings" of certain levels and then tested again and repeat and then this is graphed. In the case of the Myungin cloth the initial porosity is super high which is also the case for traditional cloth like porcher etc, the big difference (and relevant part for kiters) is the porosity measure after "washings" for the baked on coatings like almost every foil kite today the coatings come off after washings and the porosity gets way worse- quickly. For the myungin cloth the porosity stays incredibly good after washings, its a game changer. I suspect FS may have done something simila with the new Soul2 cloth but don't know for sure, but their marketing speil and the fact they released a full new version just for the new cloth would suggest they also have had a similar breakthrough with cloth durability for weight.
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post (total 3):
nothing2seehere (Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:57 am) • airsail (Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:16 am) • dekoter01 (Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:18 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Foil Kites”