Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange (and surfboard riding attitude)

For all foil kite riders
jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange

Postby jkrug » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:34 pm

my take is peaks/hybrid/foil kites won't be considered (by me) for kite surfing in waves. if there are big waves and i can use a surfboard, i'll use an LEI. i truly enjoy my peaks for foiling, but when it's windy/wavy enough for a surfboard, it's usually too crazy out there to be thinking about relaunching ANY type of foil kite. of course, we shouldn't drop them in the drink, but it happens. and when i drop an LEI in the water and it's windy, i can almost always relaunch before a wave rips it to shreds. why bother with that degree of anxiety with any foil kite? btw, my many-years-old, highly used 8m Peak4 with about 10 pieces of sail tape on it just ripped apart in midair, and i immediately ordered a Peak5 8M, not a hybrid.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:39 pm

derek440 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:58 am
bragnouff wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:30 am
True, my initial response to Archer started with assuming the Hybrid flies similarly to a Peak... Which is a pretty reasonable assumption as this is actually the way FS is marketing it. Light, nimble, easy and drifty like a Peak, but with reliable relaunch.
But maybe they injected some waveriding magic into it and forgot to tell us about using it on a surfboard. Could be in for a surprise! Since you have some Hybrids in your hands, we're looking forward to hear more about that.
Without wanting to diverge too much the Marabou2 hybrid has done exactly that - injected some waveriding magic in the v2 over both the single skin Shaman and the old Marabou1. This magic comes in the form of a higher perforamance profile and better fabric plus lots of additional bridle attachments points on the canopy plus stiffener battens not just on the LE but also from running the back of the LE inflatable area to the trailing edge. All of this results in changes in riding performance that make it more like a LEI in some ways but with the benefits of a SS/hybrid foil kite. The difference in performance from MarabouV1 (and probably for surfboard waveriding) are like night and day, its that much better. Yesterday I had a surf/rollers foil riding session on the 6m Marabou2 and was going upwind directly into the cross-shore swell and then gybe and riding downwind along/across the rollers and got the feeling I could have been doing the same thing on a surfboard, but would not have previously done that on the Shaman (like peak) or the Marabou1. Also in Sardinia when testing the 10m Marabou2 a few weeks ago I crashed the kite into the shore break at Poetto beach, leading edge down and whilst getting the board a wave broke through the kite, pretty much worst case for putting the kite in the water, but small shore break thankfully, I wound the lines in on the bar, put the kite LE up whilst still in the water and unwound and it launched and drained perfectly and had another hour in that session, win!
please if you can let us know more on the surfboard and twintip use of you try it into...

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:43 pm

from this video seams not so bad on twintip...

https://youtube.com/shorts/3jicXz-DJl4

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:11 pm

derek440 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:58 am
Without wanting to diverge too much the Marabou2 hybrid has done exactly that - injected some waveriding magic in the v2 over both the single skin Shaman and the old Marabou1.
Seems like a head to head comparison when both are readily available will be very interesting.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange (and surfboard riding attitude)

Postby Flyboy » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:10 pm

My assumption about using Peaks with a SB ( I haven't tried) is that the amount of power required would result in a lot of flapping. Peaks go upwind fine on a foil, - with the added upwind ability of the foil itself - but wouldn't work that well on a SB unless you were pretty powered up. I imagine going downwind on waves on a SB would work well though.

The Marabou looks like a higher aspect kite than the Flysurfer hybrid. In fact, all around it's more impressive looking (no experience with the actual performance).

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange (and surfboard riding attitude)

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:11 pm

Actually not so Flyboy.

I have ridden waves with a 5 m2 Peak, amazing waveriding.

No flapping, even when powered so much that upwind wasnt a problem.

It balances itself out, you need a lot more wind indeed, but you will still fly the Peak where it does not flap, for sufficient power.

As I have said - the only time I was annoyed with flapping, was when walking in and out where I depowered the kite like used to on a light wind foil day.

But when riding, no problems not on the waveface going DTL, nor when going upwind.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Flyboy (Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:09 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:45 am

ok I'll head out with a surfboard and twin tip over the next week and report back how the marabou2 performs, from my riding so far i think it will be really good with both. And for clarity the Marabou1 was terrible for surfboard for exactly the reason above, if you had enough wind for a surfboard the kite was draggy/flappy when sheeted out and trying to pull it reluctantly upwind. Riding the Marabou2 upwind when powered up isn't a problem in my riding so far due to the stiffeners and the extra bridle attachment points on the canopy. The four bridle levels A,B,C,Z all split near the kite into even more rows/attachments at the canopy. I will show this in video review but on the canopy there are more levels, from memory about 6 "rows" of attachments or maybe 7. Yesterday in a strong gust i was able to sheet out and angle the hydrofoil upwind higher and sheet in a bit and gun upwind which surprised me. On the hydrofoil with Marabou2 it doesn't just go upwind a bit like a tube kite, it really trucks upwind on crazy angles, in Cagliari recently at worlds I was free-riding near some praticing racers and attempted to match upwind angle and got surprisingly close at times. Hopefully this translates into being good for TT/SB, I'll report back after giving it a go. For me if it works well with SB this will be a good option for summer waveriding here which is always mush/rollers as there isn't significant ground-swell. Not sure about for big waves, I don't really use a kite for big waves.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:52 am

Here is a pic of the 10m canopy attachments, I count about 7 "rows" and note that these are fine lines so don't seem to have a noticable parasitic drag effect. Also note the canopy stiffner rods from the back of the twin-skin part to the trailing edge.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.47.32 am 1.png

Gerwinnaar
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Roam Aluula 10m
North carve 3m, 5m, 7m 2022
Airush one 4m 2021

North comp 5’4 2020
North scoop 2021
Gong new Curve M
Gong new Curve S

Postby Gerwinnaar » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 pm

I am looking forward tot the real life wind range comparison of the Flysurfer Hybrid and Peak 5. I really like my 6m peak 5 (and it gets me on foil in 10knots)but according to the indicated windrange chart to replace the 6m peak 5 should be replaced by a 7.5m hybrid, which sounds bigger and slower, especially since some think the 8m peak 5 does not offer the peak awesomeness (but it’s still better then 12+ LEI light wind kites).

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:06 pm

Gerwinnaar wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 pm
I am looking forward tot the real life wind range comparison of the Flysurfer Hybrid and Peak 5. I really like my 6m peak 5 (and it gets me on foil in 10knots)but according to the indicated windrange chart to replace the 6m peak 5 should be replaced by a 7.5m hybrid, which sounds bigger and slower, especially since some think the 8m peak 5 does not offer the peak awesomeness (but it’s still better then 12+ LEI light wind kites).
On the flysurfer website they mention that the 'peak' power of the Hybrid is less. I.e. that spike in power when you whip the kite in a loop. I would guess that is why they have sized up when doing a comparison charts. You just need a bigger size to give you the same inertia for that waterstart.

Return to “Foil Kites”