Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange (and surfboard riding attitude)

For all foil kite riders
Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Re: Please Help on Flysurfer (Peak) Hybrid windrange

Postby Archer77 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:15 am

Thank you all!
situation clarified
👍🏻✌🏻🤙🏻

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:36 pm

I am still a bit puzzled why some of you say it wont work for surfboards?

As I wrote, I havent tried them in their upper end, so I dont know if they hit the (pleasant) top as early as the Peaks?

When I rode a 5 m2 Peak4 on a waveboard, it was amazing, could ride much higher on the wave and let the kite turn or drift effortlessly.
The only thing I didnt like, was the flapping when walking out to the water, and coming in.
Going upwind wasnt a problem - but havent tried it overpowered of course, but should make it even easier.

Thus it could be interesting to see how the Hybrid works on a waveboard, I would definitely not rule it out before more experience.

Anyone who can share, or too early?

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 pm

My experience with the 5 and the 8 on a surfboard was that it's fantastic while on the wave, but pretty bad the rest of the time, mostly in terms of upwindability. Could be that I need to change my technique significantly, and I didn't spend enough time dialing it, but that was pretty clear that my wave kites were better in that regard, pointing higher. I also didn't really like the depower feeling of the Peak when powered up. Strapless on a wave kite, I'm used to dump and recover power instantly whenever going over white water or waves. With the Peak in the top end of its range, which is needed in this non-foiling context, there's actually either too much flap or too much pull, and the transitions between those states aren't that smooth.
But as I said, I'm sure you could get used to it and make it work. I didn't bother.

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:44 am

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:38 pm
My experience with the 5 and the 8 on a surfboard was that it's fantastic while on the wave, but pretty bad the rest of the time, mostly in terms of upwindability. Could be that I need to change my technique significantly, and I didn't spend enough time dialing it, but that was pretty clear that my wave kites were better in that regard, pointing higher. I also didn't really like the depower feeling of the Peak when powered up. Strapless on a wave kite, I'm used to dump and recover power instantly whenever going over white water or waves. With the Peak in the top end of its range, which is needed in this non-foiling context, there's actually either too much flap or too much pull, and the transitions between those states aren't that smooth.
But as I said, I'm sure you could get used to it and make it work. I didn't bother.
This, a Peak 5 would not be what I want to ride when I can ride a 9m Reo in the same wind. Especially onshore.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:36 am

We are talking about the Hybrid here, not Peaks, or?

Could be somewhat the same in this regard, or could be two different animals.

8) Peter

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:30 am

True, my initial response to Archer started with assuming the Hybrid flies similarly to a Peak... Which is a pretty reasonable assumption as this is actually the way FS is marketing it. Light, nimble, easy and drifty like a Peak, but with reliable relaunch.
But maybe they injected some waveriding magic into it and forgot to tell us about using it on a surfboard. Could be in for a surprise! Since you have some Hybrids in your hands, we're looking forward to hear more about that.

Archer77
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 80Kg - 175 lbs
Local Beach: Porto Pollo, Sardegna
Gear: Shinn Bronq 135/41 V1, 136/42 Luigi, 148/47 XL
Ozone Alpha V2 12m 10m
Ozone Edge V10 10m 8m
Ozone Catalyst V1 7m

Postby Archer77 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:09 am

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:30 am
True, my initial response to Archer started with assuming the Hybrid flies similarly to a Peak... Which is a pretty reasonable assumption as this is actually the way FS is marketing it. Light, nimble, easy and drifty like a Peak, but with reliable relaunch.
But maybe they injected some waveriding magic into it and forgot to tell us about using it on a surfboard. Could be in for a surprise! Since you have some Hybrids in your hands, we're looking forward to hear more about that.
after reading how Flysurfer describe the Hybrid on their website for what I understand wave riding is not it's field, they also underline how twin tip use is for children and light people... and they never mention wave riding, neither vaguely...
to me seams enough to understand is not the best choice for wave riding and now thank to all kind user of the forum I almost have the confirmation, in particular for a beginner-intermediate, although for an expert probably could work fine

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:05 am

bragnouff wrote:
Pure speculation until I get my hands on one but with the lower aspect, it should be better for waveriding than the Peak.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:58 am

bragnouff wrote:
Without wanting to diverge too much the Marabou2 hybrid has done exactly that - injected some waveriding magic in the v2 over both the single skin Shaman and the old Marabou1. This magic comes in the form of a higher perforamance profile and better fabric plus lots of additional bridle attachments points on the canopy plus stiffener battens not just on the LE but also from running the back of the LE inflatable area to the trailing edge. All of this results in changes in riding performance that make it more like a LEI in some ways but with the benefits of a SS/hybrid foil kite. The difference in performance from MarabouV1 (and probably for surfboard waveriding) are like night and day, its that much better. Yesterday I had a surf/rollers foil riding session on the 6m Marabou2 and was going upwind directly into the cross-shore swell and then gybe and riding downwind along/across the rollers and got the feeling I could have been doing the same thing on a surfboard, but would not have previously done that on the Shaman (like peak) or the Marabou1. Also in Sardinia when testing the 10m Marabou2 a few weeks ago I crashed the kite into the shore break at Poetto beach, leading edge down and whilst getting the board a wave broke through the kite, pretty much worst case for putting the kite in the water, but small shore break thankfully, I wound the lines in on the bar, put the kite LE up whilst still in the water and unwound and it launched and drained perfectly and had another hour in that session, win!
These users thanked the author derek440 for the post:
Archer77 (Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:38 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:13 am