Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Soul v1 tips folding

Postby Breze » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:21 pm

IMHO you need to separate front and rear line otherwise you will never find a point where A & Z marker align.

Please see video below, its in german but you can figure out, guy is showing how line A and Z changes angle of attack of whole wing. Without A & Z being same spot adjusting B & C is pointless because airfoil of kite is wrong

[/quote]

Of course A and Z must be on the same level, there are different methods to do this with the Mixer Test and Long- or even Flull Mixer Test :bye:
The often repeated point, to have the fix points 10 cm apart for an accurate measurement ( like in flying mode) is wrong.
Indeed it is part of some methods, like this one

or for the LMT

My previous posts describes a method to level out A and a shortened Z with a pigtail, to use the " Full Mixer Test" on Soul and Sonic3.
For this method one fix point of A and Z Main is needed.
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
edt (Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:21 pm

It seems to me that having the A and Z attachment points 100mm apart allows you to find a datum point that compensates for the difference in lengths of the A and Z marks. This datum point will only be orthogonal to the line between the attachment points if the A and Z marks are of equal length.

The difference between A and Z is not particularly critical because this is just equivalent to a tiny amount of sheeting. Of course the difference in C and B to this datum point is critical as this influences the kites shape. It is a question of compensation rather than accuracy imho.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post (total 2):
edt (Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:26 pm) • downunder (Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:45 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:21 pm

I would like to have understood that video seemed interesting. Is there any way of getting English subs on it??
Thanks Breze I will give that a go, when the weather gets a bit better here and can enjoy the bigger kite again. Cheers.

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:06 am

Ice101, if you have not seen the vid “Soul… Tech Talk Flysurfer” it will be worth a search on YouTube imho. If memory serves it is about an hour long and has a lot of info. It is in English.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:17 pm

Sold the bloody sonic 3 instead for a pitance. Waste of money. Sad thing is my 10m which i purchased new is now starting to do the same thing and one wingtip folding. It is the same side as the sonic 3 that’s folding. I ride goofy. I mainly Jump to the right and the it’s the left wing tip that is folding same as on the sonic 3 so opposite side to which I jump and must be caused by wear. The sonic as said was bought second hand but not I am pretty sure it was because someone goofy had before. Would still love to fix the issue on the 10m now as that’s my favourite kite. I notice on the sonic 4 it looked like it has an adjustable new knot system down by the z’s is this the equivalent of adding a pig tail to try and get rid of this wing tip fold issue that people are now getting now their kites are getting older? Weather is too cold here in the uk to be out messing with bridles during winter but I still want to fix the 10m if possible this spring. It was my favourite kite and with the ridiculously high prices of these kites of these kites and mad hikes in mortgage rates etc I am now priced out from buying new anymore. My 10m soul v1 only has about 70 hours use on it. So not much really to be displaying the wing tip fold issue really.
Both mixers hasn’t sorted it.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:43 pm

Hey,

3 days ago I was racing with my old 10, so yes, I fixed it.

Here is a pic:
669ee844-0e8d-4cd5-90c1-3e0716f34f6a.jpeg

A year ago the same pic would show both tips tucked.

The fix was to make the B longer (I call this longer becuse A and C are at equal spot). By 3cm with just moving the knot(s).

Flys like new.

And THAT tip only one guy suggested. However, on which side to make it longer? Bar side or kite side?! Well, youll need to test both sides and see the difference since I dont remember :(
Last edited by downunder on Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:48 pm

Wow. That's so unlucky. I've put more hours on my second hand soul 10 and have been lucky to rarely need to even adjust the mixer. I did think my kite was out of tune twice but in each case it was just user error (once when the bar was out of tune and the second when I found a knot in the bridle (weirdly on both sides but at slightly different places)

What's your percentage of powered to low powered riding? I wonder if that is a factor? I'm about 40:60 as I probably do more on the foil than on a twin tip so I'm more often riding in 15knots than 25 knots.

Return to “Foil Kites”