Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Kestrel, high performance kite

For all foil kite riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pansh Kestrel, new high performance kite

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:32 am

funalex wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:55 am
Canopy curve:
With this "inverted V" curvature, when you depower/power the kite, a more important part of the kite will benefit it in the same time. With a classical canopy, only tips are depowered to the max making them collapsing, and the center keep too much power, (or you need to trick with the twisting of tips, and you loose power and acceleration). So you can't depower more, and you can't control the kite in full depowered position. Jumps becomes lower and lower in the very upper range.
With this "weird" canopy, the kite continue to be controlable, and boost you more and more. The depower also contribute to faster turning of course.
Funalex, could you please give more details about what you call "inverted V' curvature ? how it looks and if it is comparable to more or less reflex profile ?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:43 am

Funalex has a sign-in problem, so i relay and translate his answer to my request to have more detail on the "inverted V" shape :
Original wording in french:
"

En gros sur une canopée classique, seulement une petite partie de l'aile participe au point directionnel de l'aile, c'est d'autant plus vrai quand on est fortement choqué. Alors que sur une canopée en "V inversée", toute la demie-aile participe à la rotation. Evidemment ce schéma est vulgarisé, mais ça explique pourquoi l'aile est plus reactive, et pourquoi on peut la controler encore dans le vent fort. Certains diront : il suffit de prévoir un vrillage positif à l'aile pour augmenter la puissance des oreilles, mais c'est au détriment de la trainée qu'on augmente, et de la rigidité (tendance au poulpe). La contrepartie de ce choix, (il y en a toujours une), c'est que le centre de l'aile est un peu moins efficace, donc la puissance est un peu en retrait en ligne droite."
"

Introduction : "inverted V "canopy is this "weired" shape of the Kestler, that looks like a "V" but turned 180 degree, "head down", so two half strainght line in opposition to a "C" shape .

Translation:
"On a standard canopy, only a small part of the area participates when piloting the rotation of the kite. It is even more the case when kite is sheeted-out (depowered). Whereas with such an "inverted V" canopy , the whole half part of the kite will participate to turn the kite. Of course it is a vulgarisation, but this is why the kite is more reactive, agile , and why it is more controlable in high winds. Some will say that we could just twist the wing tips, i.e. increase the AoA of the tips locally, but is will increase the drag and the rigidity (yelly fish effect). The cons of this inverted V (there are always some) is that the center of the kite is a bit less efficient, so less powerful in straight line.
"
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 3):
nothing2seehere (Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:50 am) • Sceotend (Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:50 am) • Smeagle (Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:04 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 pm

first test yesterday , 30 minutes on the beach in 4-6 knots, then 10 minutes on a hydrofoil in 10-20 knots irregular;
kite weight approx 3.2 kg, to be confirmed with a better scale;

in very light wind, we feel a bit the weight compared to Pulsion; it requires more wind to inflate and stabilize ate zenith without bar input ; the rotation and loop are excellent; one one the best I tested, in the same range as F-one Halo if not better ; tunes short, no latency, gives both power and glide. It seems extremely encouraging for waterstart in light winds for those who master loops. When parked at zenith if you let the bar go , like most high AR kite it tends to loose its lift, backstall ; so under 7 knots you need to keep it in hand and work it a little bit which could degrade your ability to swim out of shore in onshore winds.

During my "medium - high wind" ride on the hydrofoil, water start was easy; kite sable despite wind variations (I normally choose LEI on this spot wit this wind direction for this reason); tack transition seem very easy thanks to good combination between lift and agility ; only one small jump " to test ; it seems very easy and intuitive : easy sending of the kite thanks to its deposed, good-average hang time, extremely efficient redirection of the kite to launch the jump;

I put kite twice in the water, and relaunch was rapid, efficient with 2 different technics, so this seem to show a good relaunch ability (provided a minimum wind compared to Pulsion due to its higher weight certainly). bar pressure seems well balanced, to be confirmed during a longue ride.

Overall kite seems very efficient on a foil provided some rider skills like knowing foil kites and mastering loops for waterstart in light wind; higher skills than the poug-and-play Pulsion but more tolerant/ easy than sonci3; a bit comparable to Gins Spirit; speed and angle to wind is excellent, like the comfort even in irregular wind ; when looking at wind measures of 20 knot, I was not at all overpowered , so deposed seems very efficient;

I estimate my low end to 7 knots; maybe 6 with "risky ride" or once out of the shore ; because its limit maybe getting away from shore ; because on the others hand, the power delivered during loops will certainly allow a lot of power to waterstart ; I would not be surprised if low ends would be 7 knots even for heavier riders , given above reasons.

I ended the session earlier than I planned ... instant wind drop to 2 knots in 3 seconds, kite in the water , wind inversion 180 degree in 5 minutes; kite is easy to roll in water thanks to the large central zip ; but I was 500 meter off shore , it was at sunshine, light went almost dark after 30 minutes swim, trying to go back to shore, when a rescue boat came to catch me and finally found me, at night ...

Kite is very beautiful , happy of this session even with this stressing end.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Smeagle (Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:47 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:47 pm
first test yesterday , 30 minutes on the beach in 4-6 knots, then 10 minutes on a hydrofoil in 10-20 knots irregular;
kite weight approx 3.2 kg, to be confirmed with a better scale;
Thanks for your infos! Which size did you test?

- Oliver

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:36 am

Smeagle wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:47 am

Thanks for your infos! Which size did you test?

- Oliver

from his first post ; I Think he got the 15m.
Regis-de-giens wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:46 pm
Here is the new "Kestrel " foilkite.

I would like to know the weight for a 15m2, but I think i'll order one to test.... :-).
Bille
These users thanked the author Bille for the post:
Smeagle (Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:20 pm

Indeed it is the 15m.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm

The video or at least what i was able to catch...
Sorry for bad camera trimming.

Bille (Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:15 pm)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:17 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:37 pm
The video or at least what i was able to catch...
Good job in convincing Bille to order that kite !! :thumb:

It was this reverse relaunch , that impressed me !

Bille
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-23 8.10.03 AM.png

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:42 am

new test , in still a wind that dropped down to limit of flight and relaunch; around 4-5 knots

loop and gust absorption is impressive ; in marginal wind the additional weight compared to Pulsion is noticeable on the riding limit
Smeagle (Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:13 pm)

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:12 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:42 am
new test , in still a wind that dropped down to limit of flight and relaunch; around 4-5 knots

loop and gust absorption is impressive ; in marginal wind the additional weight compared to Pulsion is noticeable on the riding limit
Nice. You stopped filming? Would have liked to see the following relaunch ;)

Return to “Foil Kites”