Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Kestrel, high performance kite

For all foil kite riders
funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pansh Kestrel, high performance kite

Postby funalex » Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:01 pm

Kestrel has lots depower, (especially if you've lenghtened a little main B adjuster)... but that don't signify that you can take off safely in that sort of wind.. be safe.

The depower of the kestrel is special, because the kite won't surge with an instant power spike like others would do... and the 3 pulley mixer help keeping control even if the kite is full depowered.

for example in snowkite, the control of flight is awesome... pull the bar, you go up, push the bar, you come back to land :
(with most of other kites, pulling the bar makes you going faster, but with too much power, you can't come back to land when you really want)

(thanks Aloys for the video)
Last edited by funalex on Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author funalex for the post (total 4):
Regis-de-giens (Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm) • artificialname (Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:03 am) • Smeagle (Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:34 am) • lederhosen (Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:44 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:41 pm

These users thanked the author funalex for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby merl » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:19 am

funalex wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:01 pm
The depower of the kestrel is special, because the kite won't surge with an instant power spike like others would do...
Similar to the idea they had on the flysurfer speed 3 - but there it was adjustable?
From the manual:

"A distinctive feature of the Speed3 is the Valve placed in the middle. This allows the behaviour of the kite to change during Depower (DEPOWER PERFORMANCE ENHANCER). You can reach the inner side of the Valve by pulling the Valve inside out and adjust the Valve
with the help of the Velcro:
Velcro open/open Valve; The kite feels faster by depowering and the profile is more efficient in wind. The kite produces more pull because of the increased glide ratio. This adjustment is the preferred adjustment for achieving maximum performance. (Low wind performance, hangtime and speed)
Velcro closed/Valve closed: in closed condition, the profile is dented when depowering and
the ‘depower’ feels more direct, because the kite accelerates less. The structure here is similar to a bow kite. This adjustment is recommended for wave riding, learning new tricks
and for those who prefer a very direct depower effect. The Velcro can be closed in steps to
1/3 open and closed. In this way, you can adjust to your preference."

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:54 pm

No, the kestrel doesn't play with a dented leading edge (low pressure).

The kestrel does arch/flatten the entire canopy more than other foil kites, and not in a comparable way with other foils from the past (psycho3, for example, arched only tips, and added lots of drag), and this inflight shape change, decrease the billow of the extrados, and increase the one on the intrados... By doing that, the average airfoil (profile) itself becomes less aggressive, more symmetrical...Slower, less powerful, more stable... but when you power it up, again, everything comes back to normal. The result is a more predictable kite.

The hawk behaves a little like speed3 valve... the amount of cells spacing decrease easily the leading edge roundness when depowered, associated with a "inverted" nose of the airfoil, its depower is really good, and when you power the hawk, the dented leading edge disappear... on speed 3, the setting was permanent... you had to choose before going on the water if you wanted lower pressure, or better airfoil efficiency.

(sorry not really easy to explain in english)
These users thanked the author funalex for the post (total 2):
Smeagle (Mon Jan 08, 2024 2:53 pm) • merl (Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:29 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 pm

Maybe you miss that, but kestrel and hawk have a special offer now : 2 for the price of 1

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:32 pm

Im interested. Im experienced hydrofoiler riding as small kite as possible. My biggest kite is Kitech FRS 9m. Then i have peaks /6,5,4,3/. I like both. FRS is for me best handling closed cell kite. Other closed cell can have more perfomance etc. but handling is king on FRS. Peaks have perfect handling, but unfortunately low perfomance. If i want replace these kites, which sizes and types /kestrel, hawk/ should i chose. As I progress to higher aspect faster HF wings and peaks are not as good partner for them as was for slower surf wings. Many thanks for insight!

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm

In your wind range like a frs9, i would vote for Kestrel 10m or even 12m if you like speed. Both have excellent feedbacks.
In my opinion, more performant and "fun" than the more "neutral " howk.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
tomtom (Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:17 pm)

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 am

If you like small kites.. As you asked... hawk 4/5/6 are great small kites for hydrofoiling, if you focus on surfing and curves. Kestrel 6m and 8m would offer you lots of speed if you prefer going fast.

Advice : Kestrel or hawk, both will like to have B lenghtened a little to gain performances.
These users thanked the author funalex for the post:
tomtom (Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:17 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:34 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:54 pm
In your wind range like a frs9, i would vote for Kestrel 10m or even 12m if you like speed. Both have excellent feedbacks.
In my opinion, more performant and "fun" than the more "neutral " howk.
Sorry I mis-read your request, I thought it was to replace FRS9 and gain speed ; forget my advice if it is for smaller sizes and still focuss on handling.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:16 pm

funalex wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:38 am
hawk 4/5/6 are great small kites for hydrofoiling, if you focus on surfing and curves.
Hawks are amazing for the price (I previously owned a 4 and an 8m) but if they were lower aspect and hybrid single skin then they would be much much better for surfing and curves. I vote for a Jumel hybrid - that would be awesome.

Return to “Foil Kites”