Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Pansh Kestrel, high performance kite

For all foil kite riders
funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Pansh Kestrel, high performance kite

Postby funalex » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:59 am

Choice between kestrel or hawk (6m)... it's mainly skills, because the kestrel is fast trough the wind window, and can deliver lots of power, you must be ready with your foil. by the way, the stability is great for such ratio, no risk of collapse, so you can surf with it too.

Then, of course downwind, and surfing will be easier with hawk, it turns sharper... and won't surge too much... and you can jump pretty well too.

Kestrel, is for fast foiling, higher jumps, lots of sensation for a fast ride/surfing. the depower travel is very short... so very responsive.

Launch is easier with hawk.
Relaunch is better with hawk
Kestrel is more robust

For best result, hawk or kestrel, you'll like to lenghten a little main B with the adjustable system (1or 2cm).. whatever the size.
These users thanked the author funalex for the post:
Mikey (Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:00 pm

funalex wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:59 am
Snip...
Then, of course downwind, and surfing will be easier with hawk, it turns sharper... and won't surge too much... and you can jump pretty well too.

Snip

Hmmm, "won't surge too much" is a tricky one.

As such kites CAN have awesome powerspikes, and still drift well (Peak kites as an example but not belonging to this thread)

The same can be said about LEI kites actually.

8) Peter

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi
Style: Strapless surfing, Foiling, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Kahana Shapes MariMacho, Gong Ypra XS, MS, L, XL, Kauper Falcon 11m, Blade Trigger 5m & 8m & 10m
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:56 pm

funalex wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:59 am

For best result, hawk or kestrel, you'll like to lenghten a little main B with the adjustable system (1or 2cm).. whatever the size.
Why is the factory not tuning like that?

funalex
Very Frequent Poster

Postby funalex » Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:19 am

For the same reason other brands provide their kite out of the box with not the best setting. To be sure everyone will be able to master the kite, even foilkites beginners.

because the more performances a kite brings, the more unstable is can become, mostly for the initial launch.
These users thanked the author funalex for the post:
mede (Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Chris30
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Bali - Sanur
Thailand - Hua Hin
Kalavarda - Rhodes/Greece
Style: Freeride / Oldschool
Gear: Boards: 2x Spleene: Session 45 (145x46 cm) & Rip 39 (139x42,5 cm)
Flysurfer Speed 4 18m & 10m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Chris30 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:22 pm

Hi guys!

First I want to wish everyone a happy new year!

And I need a recommendation. It's of the type "What would you do?"...

Right now I have Flysurfer Speed 4 Lotus in 10 and 18 sqm. I wanted to order a Kestrel 15 to complete my quiver.
But now they have the 2-for-1 promotion...
And I'm not sure what to do. So "What would you do"?

- Order the 15 and an additional 12 to make the gap even smaller (maybe makes not so sense because usually you can skip one size)
- Order the 15 and a 8 (or 6?) to be equipped for higher winds?
- Order 15 and 10 and replace the 10 Speed 4?
- Or replace the 18 Speed 4 with a new 18m Kestrel and add a 15?

Some more infos:
My weight is about 90kg, I ride with Spleene boards Rip39 and Session45, not planning to start foiling. I'm not a very good kiter but getting better and not a light wind artist. I like to have some power in the kite, don't do tricks but want to improve my jumping and like the feeling of having some hangtime. That's for me more important than jump height.
As I'm located in Germany my spots are sometimes North Sea but more often Baltic Sea and more important holidays.
Destinations so far are not really high wind spots but would like to go to some destinations with more wind in the future like Masira (Oman),Sri Lanka...
So far I was kiting in Rhodes (Greece), Barbados, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Germany, Netherlands, Bali (only 18 m ;-) ), Hua Hin (Thailand). Thailand ist a destination that I will definately travel again because I love Thailand in general.

I know that was much to read. I really will appreciate your help in making a decision. I know there's no "right or wrong"...
My own tendency so far is to go for the 15 and a small one. I only don't know if then to go for the 6....

Thx a lot in advance guys

Chris

PS: any experiences from german buyers? Handling, time, customs?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:45 pm

Tt and 90kg : i would vote for kestrel 21m (approx similar power to speed4 18) and 12 (similar to s4 10m) .
Then' you sell your speed4, out of date in my opinion vs kestrel , once your like to kestrel is confirmed.

Chris30
Rare Poster
Thailand - Hua Hin

Postby Chris30 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:49 pm

Hi!

Thx for the first suggestion... I thought about it but think I don't want to replace the 18m soon. I consider to maybe replace it by the extreme light version later...

So... any other suggestions?

My mind is swinging back and forth. Right now I'm thinking about taking the 15m and the 12 as second. And after seeing if I "need" both or not maybe sell one of them.

Cheers
Chris

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:00 pm

Chris30 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:49 pm

Thx for the first suggestion... I thought about it but think I don't want to replace the 18m soon. I consider to maybe replace it by the extreme light version later...
Speed4 with Lotus fabric is quite respectable piece of kit. Lotus has proven to be durable fabric, don't expect other light weight fabrics to be similar. I don't know how good Pansh ultra light fabric is but I'd be very cautious, some of these fabrics are not durable at all and then kite starts to leak and it is trash. If you buy new kites every or every second year and sell old ones it isn't an issue of course.
Chris30 wrote:
I like to have some power in the kite, don't do tricks but want to improve my jumping and like the feeling of having some hangtime. That's for me more important than jump height.
Well that is not how it should be done. You must try to jump high and it starts from proper and strong edging. Kite doesn't matter, it is always the same. For hangtime foil kite certainly helps but even then jumping as straight and high up as possible is crucial. If you know to jump properly also small LEI kite will bring you down soft, for example I often jump 5-7m on hard surface with 7m LEI kite.

Long low jumps are technically failed jumps. One practice is to make transition jumps and check how you land them compared to your earlier course. If you master it you can jump them upwind - not big of course - but anyway so that your new course is above from the earlier.

If you want to kitesurf in stronger winds it may be wiser to have a LEI kite for those days. They have easier handling and it is easier to adjust power. Small foil kites surge hard, they can become from powerless to overpowered in couple of seconds. And when power comes it comes late(r) but really there can be lot of it. For example 7m Soul in high wind is quite handful, definitely not a beginner kite
Last edited by kitexpert on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:17 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:00 pm
Last edited by kitexpert on Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris30
Rare Poster
Thailand - Hua Hin

Postby Chris30 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:07 pm

Hi guys!

Thx for previous answers!

Finally I came to a decision. Ordered 15 & 8 m Kestrel.
A few additional questions though...
- I could not find an info about how the kites are coming... In a lightweight kite fabric bag? Simple plastic bags?
- I already know that 60cm bar size is suitable for the 15m. What size for the 8 - 50cm?
- any recommendations for bars? Affordable and not too heavy? (weight is more important for traveling). I like the automatic untwisting of my flysurfer bars (Infinity 2.0) and the thin Liros lines but I think the bars are quite heavy.

Thx
Chris

Return to “Foil Kites”