Soul Kites Non FS Bars

For all foil kite riders
RomeUtah
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Tropical beaches of UT, snow and sand
Favorite Beaches: Rufus, LB, Pismo
Style: straight air to tomohawk
Gear: Best, Ozone, OR, Cab, Flysurfer, Tona board, SS boards, Cab boards, liquid force foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Soul Kites Non FS Bars

Postby RomeUtah » Fri May 05, 2023 7:49 pm

Anyone have negative experiences mixing non FS bars with Soul kites? I need a new bar and lines for my 8M flying on the infinity bar.
I have my 15 M soul on 2017 SS 55cm bar with 17m fly lines, and it works really well, (i matched throw as close as possible to the infinity bar)

Looking at all new bars below $400 right now, as everything is getting so stupidly expensive. Also hate the safety system on the infinity bars, the "5th 1/2 Line" is hot garbage and has torn off the attachment point on the main front line many times.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Re: Soul Kites Non FS Bars

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri May 05, 2023 9:03 pm

Any low V bar setup with equal lines(or up to 2cm shorter steering lines) will work. I build my own bars now...the prices are getting nuts and FS's bars aren't the best. I do have one of the new Connect2 bars which I really like, but that's a high V and doesn't work the best with the Soul.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 pm

I run my soul 15m on Ozone race bar 60cm ..Soul doesn't need any specific bar just depend on if yu need a minimalist carbon bar or std bar

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 09, 2023 1:48 pm

I think the only thing to look at is how high the flag out point is (by this I mean how far the bar pulls through before it hits a stopper ball). I think it needs to be at least half the total span of the kite. So something like 6m for a 12m kite kind of thing. The only bar I know that might be a problem is the Core sensor bars.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue May 09, 2023 3:30 pm

sonny2727 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 9:07 pm
I run my soul 15m on Ozone race bar 60cm ..Soul doesn't need any specific bar ..
Agreed. I use an Ozone 55cm bar with my 12m Soul.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue May 09, 2023 8:08 pm

In addition to above advice, I'd add stopper balls to the steering lines of a non-FS bar to grab so it's easier to back-stall your Soul when self-landing, inflating during launch, pinwheeling, etc. Other than that, there's nothing special about the FS bars.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am

Beyond adding a knot into the line, is there a good way of adding stopper balls? I was nervous about compression fitting ones and whether they would hold up to the forces (in normal use the compression ones only need to stop a bar sliding - which should be considerably less force than backstalling a kite)

My bar has fairly long floaters so I've made do with pulling the top of those but I could see it being better with the stopper balls if I had larger sized kites

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:29 am
Beyond adding a knot into the line, is there a good way of adding stopper balls? ......

My bar has fairly long floaters so I've made do with pulling the top of those....
I've always knotted the thick leader lines to secure stopper balls. But you could probably run the lines through a stiff tubing (similar to center line tubing or chicken loop tubing) and then through the stopper ball positioned on top of the tubing. The outside diameter of the tubing would need to exceed the diameter of the hole in the stopper, of course. You'd then need to prevent the stopper from sliding away from the bar, but that could be accomplished with a light tie of some sort.

That said, grabbing the tops of your long floaters sounds like a good technique, as well. For big kites, you could just add additional floaters to lengthen the throw/leverage.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
nothing2seehere (Wed May 10, 2023 3:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Foil Kites”