Local Beach: Porto Caleri, Italy
Style: Tiki, Twintip
Gear: Tiki, Twintip. Looking for the best kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Flysurfer Soul 2 Size advice needed

Postby EKPilot » Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am

Seeking the wisdom of the forum!

I am a relatively new kiteboarder (have done a few lessons, can go in both directions and stay upwind most of the time)
I am planning to buy my first big kite. I have pretty much decided on the FS Soul2 in 15 or 18 meters. And that is where I need the advice - which size do I go for?
I am right around 100 kg in my wetsuit. Riding a very large board (actually Tiki from Takoon, but it probably equates to a 170 cm twintip). Local kiteboarding sites have wonderful shallow beaches and protected lagoons.
But for most of the year the winds are light: 5-15 knots. I am OK sitting out the stronger days.

On paper that would suggest that I should go with the 18 meter Soul, but how does it handle stronger winds/gusts? With my big board will I be overpowered quickly? How well does the Soul depower? Will the 15 meter Soul be enough and expand my upper range a little?

Just to clarify - I am not interested in jumping or tricks, I just want to park my kite and head for the horizon, and know that I can come back even if the wind changes.

In theory I may consider Lei kites, but I am a paraglider pilot and the Souls makes more sense to me - I know how this wing should work. Lei is a completely different beast and I am not sure how to read their sizes considering the different shapes, curvatures, bridle arrangements, number of struts and so on and so forth...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

chaosgate
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Gear: Sonic3

Re: Flysurfer Soul 2 Size advice needed

Postby chaosgate » Thu May 18, 2023 12:22 pm

A really good way to get an idea is to see what other people are using (even LEI, and even people that are lighter than you).
If you see tons of 17m kites out all the time, I would definitely go for the 18. If you mostly see stuff around 12/13, I would go for the 15.

The Soul2 behaves very nicely, but being constantly overpowered is not good for learning, even if the kite can deal with it (in my opinion -- you definitely have more room for error if you're a little bit underpowered).

What size did you learn on?

EKPilot
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2023
Weight: 98 kg
Local Beach: Porto Caleri, Italy
Style: Tiki, Twintip
Gear: Tiki, Twintip. Looking for the best kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby EKPilot » Thu May 18, 2023 12:50 pm

Unfortunately where I learned is completely different - Maui and Lago Di Garda - people my size zoom around on 11 meter kites and smaller. The local spot is a bit more help, but most people there have 3-4 kites to choose from and change them several times a day. Also, here in Italy there are not very many 100 kg kiteboarders (most of them seem to be 20-30 kg lighter):)
I have also been told to look at something like the Ozone Zephyr - similar price, similar size, similar purpose. Seems to be well reviewed. But I do not think it will generate as much power. I suspect it is probably closer to the 15 meter Soul 2.

HALF
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 94
Gear: 15m FS Soul2, 12m Reedin Supermodel, 9m Cabrinha Radar, 9m Flysurfer Speed5, 14m Airush Ultra v2
Airush Switch 144, Naish Monarch 138, Naish Monarch 136, Airush Slayer v2

Postby HALF » Thu May 18, 2023 4:06 pm

Get the 15, also do not bother going under 10 knots, it will be just frustration.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu May 18, 2023 5:14 pm

in such light winds you want to make learning how to hydrofoil your long term goal. the soul is a great kite, I'm sure you'll like it and honestly I dunno which is better for you the 15 or 18. After you learn how to hydrofoil you can get a 12m soul.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
EKPilot (Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu May 18, 2023 5:28 pm

At your weight I'd go 18m. They depower very well. If you were planning on learning to hydrofoil then I think I'd change that recommendation to a 15m since it would be more useable with the foil.

Bart van Oers
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Favorite Beaches: Zandmotor and Kijkduin, The Netherlands
Gear: Flysurfer Soul 2: 6m, 8m, 10m, 12m, 15m, 21m
Past: Duotone Select SLS 138, Ultraspike SLS and Duotone Fish 5.3
Current: North Cross 5.3 2023 and Slingshot Burner XR V1 2023 5.8

Postby Bart van Oers » Thu May 18, 2023 8:09 pm

Agree with the suggestion to go for the 18 m.

I’m 83 kg, I can handle the Soul 2 21m from 9 knots up to 15 knots (gusting 17) and the Soul 2 15m from 11 knots up to 20 knots. Upper ranges are with a smaller board (139 x 41 cm twintip) and more than enough power to jump. They depower well indeed.

Regards,

Bart
Last edited by Bart van Oers on Sat May 20, 2023 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Bart van Oers for the post:
EKPilot (Mon May 29, 2023 10:04 am)

mashimisha2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Bulabog beach, Cuyo, Sicily
Style: wave carving on a hydrofoil or waveboard
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak
Nomad Wave board
Gong foil

Postby mashimisha2 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:40 pm

edt wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 5:14 pm
in such light winds you want to make learning how to hydrofoil your long term goal. the soul is a great kite, I'm sure you'll like it and honestly I dunno which is better for you the 15 or 18. After you learn how to hydrofoil you can get a 12m soul.
Totally agree!

Learn to hydrofoil and then get a 12 or 15 Soul2. You cannot have much fun on a huge board with a huge kite. You need a highly efficient ride.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Fri May 19, 2023 7:28 am

EKPilot wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am
I am a relatively new kiteboarder (have done a few lessons, can go in both directions and stay upwind most of the time)
Guys who recommend learning foil, did you even read first line of the post or you knew enough from reading topic to make your recommendation?

Last time I was learning foiling I was under impression that you should have at least 1-2 session riding on TT before attempting to learn foil but I could be wrong as I learned to foil 3 years ago.

I would go for 18m Soul, I'm 92kg and 15m soul got me going from 12kts If you want above 10kts 18m would be good start. Read about cons of foil kite or try one before buying as it's nothing like LEI kite

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri May 19, 2023 8:13 am

1-2 seasons seems about right. It helps to have confidence in your kite handling skills. Also it gives time for a person to commit to the sport and the associated financial outlay.

If you can get a kite buddy that's a big advantage. Someone a little better than you to help spot good sessions in the forecast and motivate you to get out on the water. Soul seems a reasonable choice given you have experience with complicated bridle systems from paragliding.

Getting the right board is key too. I've kitted with a few heavy guys and some light wind options don't work as well as others. Flat light wind twin tips can work well with the soul as they pick up apparent wind well, at the expense of being a little more tricky in chop
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
EKPilot (Mon May 29, 2023 10:06 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”