Style: wave carving on a hydrofoil or waveboard
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak
Nomad Wave board
Gong foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Making jibe turns in very light wind

Postby mashimisha2 » Thu May 18, 2023 10:21 am

I was out today in 7 knots with a 13m Peak 4 (extended lines) riding a 1200cm Gong Curve wing.
I could not for the life of me complete a jibe turn heal-to-toe, despite the fact that I am usually pretty good at this.
That big kite would not switch directions - it just folded up and fell out of the sky, even when I tried to make a quick turn.
Of course, nothing is happening quickly in such light wind.

Clearly, I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

mashimisha

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Re: Making jibe turns in VERY light wind

Postby Jyoder » Thu May 18, 2023 12:50 pm

Keep practicing. In very light wind down looping the kite during gybe can help. There is a balance of timing so that the kite is pulling you through the gybe without getting to ahead of you.
On double skin kites you can slack the lines a bit and recover as they maintain shape better. On single skin you have to be more careful, maybe?
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Re: Making jibe turns in very light wind

Postby Windigo1 » Thu May 18, 2023 12:53 pm

I don't know about the Peak but I would be riding a single Strut 12m in this kind of wind I usually do a down-loop it turns faster than bringing the kite up and down you have to keep a good amount of speed in the turn and the kite movement to not loose momentum and sink.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:07 pm)

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Thu May 18, 2023 1:48 pm

Turn upwind first and simultaneously redirect kite, you get increased line tension, gybe quick and short.
Downloop goes better in the light but als turn a bit upwind first and steer the kite, the increased line tension make the kite turn quicker.
It’s a quick upwind turn and steer action don’t kill the kite speed, it’s a continuous movement, the kite must fly.
With the peak don’t move you bar, keep the kite nicely powered, don’t sheet out, don’t waste or spoil energy from the kite.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:08 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu May 18, 2023 3:03 pm

Nice advice from Janus. Edging hard upwind, up to almost stop facing the wind at low speed but hard edging, and then redirect very franckly the kite upward as if you wanted to jump (but you'll not) and keep pulling on your former rear hand up to get kite almost fully downward , Leading edge toward the see to recover speed and control. This avoid loosing tension for sure...

One video some years ago, sorry we do not see kite movement:

For a more classic gibe, downloop is compulsary. In very light wind i downloop completely the kite before initiating the turn, then turn as short as possible (like in approx 1-2 secondes for your 180 degree turn).

For downloops in light wind i recommend you pre-turn your bar 360 degree before the loop. You get more kite control and accuracy at the end of the gibe. Specially for very light wind beginners but i still do it as i love how the loop ends and do not have to untangle once on the new direction.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:08 pm) • bitxopalo (Sat May 20, 2023 7:57 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu May 18, 2023 3:24 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:03 pm
Nice advice from Janus. Edging hard upwind, up to almost stop facing the wind at low speed but hard edging, and then redirect very franckly the kite upward as if you wanted to jump (but you'll not) and keep pulling on your former rear hand up to get kite almost fully downward , Leading edge toward the see to recover speed and control. This avoid loosing tension for sure...

One video some years ago, sorry we do not see kite movement:

For a more classic gibe, downloop is compulsary. In very light wind i downloop completely the kite before initiating the turn, then turn as short as possible (like in approx 1-2 secondes for your 180 degree turn).

For downloops in light wind i recommend you pre-turn your bar 360 degree before the loop. You get more kite control and accuracy at the end of the gibe. Specially for very light wind beginners but i still do it as i love how the loop ends and do not have to untangle once on the new direction.
Pre-turning the bar is a good idea but if it's really light and I don't want the kite to fall I just grab the floater on the other side and yank the bar until it is in the right position that forces the kite to react more quickly! You have to do whatever is needed if you don't want to swim in lol!
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:15 pm)

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Thu May 18, 2023 4:18 pm

Regis-de-geins pivot jibe technique videos were a big help for me but I think more relevant to a double skin kite especially if it will do a fast pinwheel.

Big peaks turn slow and the down loop is tough. Definitely do not turn toward the kite and slack lines when it is at the edge of the wind window.

Consider the jibe in two steps:

Backstall the kite so it is deep in the window leading edge pointed up. It’s ok to fade off to riding slightly downwind in this step but keep some line tension. Target having the kite straight downwind with the lines having a 45 degree angle from the ground and leading edge pointing to the sky.

Briefly carve upwind to tense the lines and keep speed but not enough to move the kite from its very deep position in the window. Then complete your jibe. If the Peak is in the right place it will float in the air quite some time even if the lines are slack. You must ride your board through the jibe rather than letting the kite pull you through it using this technique.

You can also do the pivot jibe with a big peak but try it as the second step as above. The peak has to be deep and lines tight to get the best turn. With the pivot gybe you get a little more kite pull to come around.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Thu May 18, 2023 6:36 pm) • mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:14 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

thatwildtype
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Gear: allornothing

Postby thatwildtype » Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm

Downloops in light winds are really tricky with the Peak, much more difficult than double skin kites. Try the pivot gybe instead…. This is my experience from kiting in 5-7 knots….
These users thanked the author thatwildtype for the post:
mashimisha2 (Thu May 18, 2023 11:09 pm)

mashimisha2
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Boracay
Favorite Beaches: Bulabog beach, Cuyo, Sicily
Style: wave carving on a hydrofoil or waveboard
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak
Nomad Wave board
Gong foil

Postby mashimisha2 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:12 pm

thatwildtype wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:08 pm
Downloops in light winds are really tricky with the Peak, much more difficult than double skin kites. Try the pivot gybe instead…. This is my experience from kiting in 5-7 knots….
I will have to learn how to that.

I will also try it with a down loop (perhaps pulling the steering line directly) - but that kind of freaks me out with the big single skin - swimming in with it would not be much fun. I will practice close to shore.

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Fri May 19, 2023 5:45 am

1:43. Video of the jibe described above. The kite is 5 square meters, but I use the same technique on the largest single skin I own - 9 square meters.
In halfwind, reversing the direction of the kite can be practiced without going into a jibe initially.
The kite is best kept as low as possible. Then the kite helps to make a sharp initial change of direction and gain speed, after that the loop serves only to maintain speed.
Through the initial reversal of the kite, a displacement of the loop in the direction of the new movement after the jibe is achieved. This makes it harder for the kite to stay behind the kitesurfer.

Another jibe technique I use (an older one for me) is a two-loop jibe. The first loop serves to change direction without losing speed. The second completes the jibe.
These users thanked the author alekbelia for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Fri May 19, 2023 6:57 am)

Return to “Foil Kites”