Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Re: Hybrid vs Marabou2

Postby derek440 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 5:29 am

I have flown the old marabou and the new marabou and I can assure you the new one is much better. And the main thing improved IMO is the range, the old M1 was very easily overpowered when used with hydrofoil and the new M2 has a much wider range. Having said that I prefer to ride these type of kites in the lower part of their wind range, but definitley the M2 has lots more range than the M1 which I think i had a narrow wind range. Also the M2 performance is way better and the looping is great, heaps of power in the loop if you want it and also you can sheet in a bit more through the downloop to kill the power and pivot the kite like in AdventureLogs awesome video above. My wife and a customer were both telling me they got yanked in downloop gybes and i never have so i went out with the kite again and realised that the way i downloop gybe with my large bar (60cm Gin Foil bar) I kinda pinwheel the kite a little through the loop when i am powered up. When in the bottom part of the wind range you want max pull through downloop so I don't sheet/pull as hard on the bar through the loop and the kite powers through. Also when powered up at the top of the range on the M2 I like to gybe with kite over the top instead of loop, i sometimes ride powered like that if there is weed and i have to do weed-clearing jumps and in that case i find over the top gybes easier and if downlooping stall/pinwheel downloop by cranking the bar to kill some power through the turn to avoid a long speedy downwind pull during gybe.

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bkkite » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:56 pm

I'm 220lb on a 1100cm2 front wing, riding a 12m single strut LEI. I've got no issue riding down around 10mph... but when lulls hit in the summer, my kite starts to fall out of the sky. I'm wondering if the low end of a Marabou v2 would work well for me in those conditions? Would I have a hard time water starting? What size I would need, and whether it would feel super slow compared to the LEI? ( i saw some videos and it looks like the Marabou is pretty quick?).

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:22 am

Yeah marabou2 would work for that situation. They have made them feel similar to a tube kite in many ways (like when you push the bar away is reduces power instead of increasing it like some foil kites) but it will still turn slower than a tube kite, but you get used to that. Also if you ride with a longer control bar it helps the turning, and also you can always pull a leader when downlooping or gybing. Once you have the knack they water start and relaunch super easy. I am a little heavier than you and with my 750cm hydrofoil I can start on 10m Marabou2 in about 7-8kn no problem.

gnevin
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: South Carolina
Gear: North Reach, Gin Marabou 2, Slingshot foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby gnevin » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:49 pm

bkkite wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:56 pm
I'm 220lb on a 1100cm2 front wing, riding a 12m single strut LEI. I've got no issue riding down around 10mph... but when lulls hit in the summer, my kite starts to fall out of the sky. I'm wondering if the low end of a Marabou v2 would work well for me in those conditions? Would I have a hard time water starting? What size I would need, and whether it would feel super slow compared to the LEI? ( i saw some videos and it looks like the Marabou is pretty quick?).
This is precisely why I went with the 10m Marabou2. I'm 180lbs using a 1100cm2 front wing (Apollo 60) and it gets me foiling in marginal 6-12 kts, and it hangs in the air in lulls down to 3 or 4 kts. There have been days when other kiters can't keep a single-strut kite in the air, but I'm out foiling around with no white caps on the water. 8)

The turning speed is comparable to my 15m Reach LEI (Reach is fast for its size). The power generated through a large loop with the Marabou is what will get you started in really light wind. Bar pressure is medium/heavy, it can be flown one-handed, and no flutter in the kite so it's smooth at the bar.

I've used it every day this week here at my local spot, highly recommended!

Return to “Foil Kites”